Ewido Plus

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by tazdevl, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

That's something you should take up with the dev if you are a official tester. Most tend to hook people up with a free version or at worst, a heavily discounted version.

No other company is going to cut you a deal if you use a public beta. You get the privilege (LOL) of using the beta, they get more feedback with greater diversity of configurations before the official product is released.

Do you think MS is going to hook you up with a discount for using a SP2 beta?

Competitively speaking, it's priced less than some of its competition and offers a broader featureset. Not exactly a bad deal.

Regardless of who Moe is, the itent of this thread is not to vilify Kobra, so let's get back on topic

Wayne, given the fact that you are a representative of Diamond, perhaps staying in your playground would be a good idea.

As to his test, if he has a sample of baddies and is reporting the results, I think it has some value since it represents a user's experience with the product. Official tests are nice, but as we know, their results can cause question as well.

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

We won't go there.

3. tazdevl

As I said before, regardless of the company...

4. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

tazdevl,

I'm not sure if you're referring to Kobra007 or Kobra, but just to clarify, it has been proven (and verified by the Ewido author) that Moe and Kobra007 are one and the same.

I'd love to stay "in the playground" as you put it, but I won't stand by and have my company and fellow reputable vendors attacked like that - if "Moe" hadn't made such ridiculous claims I wouldn't have to be posting here, but if such claims are made then I have every right to defend myself and my fellow vendors, it's that simple. End of story.

Best regards,
    Wayne

5. tazdevl

If you have something of value to add about Ewido Plus, please post your comments.

If you do not, your silence would be most appreciated and if you have issue with information posted, take it up with Paul and have the offending material deleted.

Actually, you have the right to defend your company. Other vendors have the right to defend themselves.

6. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

TazDevil,i think you are unfair with Wayne.After all,he didn't just came out of the blue to strike Ewido or something.

His reply is to Moe's post,that could have very well said "in my tests Ewido scored xxx out of YYY" .But instead he trasformed the topic to a comparison between 3 softwares and to that Wayne replied.

Tomorrow i can go googling a bit in malware sites,download some trojans or viruses,run 3 AVs,take a screenshot showing detection of 5-6 of them,come here and say "this took XXX the other YYY and the 0". i am supposed to be beleived without a question?

And no i don't use TH nor any Diamond product ,apart Reg Prot,actually i use Ewido and a^2,but i don't understand why someone can come and say whatever he wants and be "criticism-bulletproof".

P.S:There is a "Kobra" and a "Kobra007"? If so ,of course i was referring to the kobra007.

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

taz,

Wayne worded his response to this very well. As for what someone's "playground" is, is not up to you to decide - at least not over on this board.

Have another look at the link to DSLR. This so called "test" is regarded as - at most - an untrustworthy private attempt, no more, no less. It's for good reasons an Ewido rep posted his comment over in this thread (and on many other places for that matter). It's for good reasons as well, the thread over on DSLR has been closed. No further comment needed.

regards,

paul

8. Paul Wilders

I could - but I won't. I do respect the rules coming with Alpha testing.

You're missing the point completely. DCS should defend their software against rubbish tests - as Mischel would in regard to his TrojanHunter. Last but not least: your personal opinion in regard to "silencing" is not the standard over on this board.

Very true.

regards.

paul

9. tazdevl

My point was that we didn't need 15 posts on the issue and 6 specifically from Wayne. He can defend the results in Kobra's test, but I'm sure he could accomplish all he needed to in 1 post. No resolution will come out of continued discussion of the matter.

Kobra's testing is valid because regardless of his methods, perception begins and ends with the customer. If I run a sample and a company's product doesn't work, ITW or not, my perspective is particulary relevant if the company wants my business. This does provide an opportunity for the vendor to educate and offer suggestions such as running WormGuard in addition to TDS3 on the sample to see how it fares, but you don't crap on someone's view.

Lastly I think you misinterpreted the intent of this thread. I was not attempting to elicit information about an unreleased product. I was merely pointing out that the featureset looks to be pretty impressive. Many folks have not heard of Ewido.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  10. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Did you not read a single word Paul just said?

quote]but I'm sure he could accomplish all he needed to in 1 post[/quote]
    Just like you could've accomplished all of your whinging in 1 post rather than those last 4? - they haven't accomplished anything, so surely 1 is enough, according to your theory?

Yet you're essentially saying it's ok for people like "Moe" to "crap on" (to use your terminology) someone's business. He attacked us - not the other way around. We certainly don't "crap on" anyones views. We do however defend ourselves when somebody "craps on us" for no reason by using staged tests that promote one program by attacking others, and we've already proven (and the Ewido author agreed) that the test was useless and created by a (now ex)-Ewido beta tester who created the test set so that the Ewido scanner would do well and the others would do poorly - and you're defending him. Here's what the Ewido author actually had to say about the test in the last message I got from him:
    There were 15 (or however many - I havent bothered counting) posts made by various people because we were all engaged in a conversation lasting a couple of hours (hint: this is a public forum) -- saying that all those posts can be fit into 1 post is just ridiculous. This thread _had_ actually been quiet for some three or so hours (because everything had been settled) before you came back and fired things up again for no reason trying to start up an petty argument when the rest of us had moved on hours earlier, so yes I would've been able to make less posts if you weren't carrying on. It's interesting that you're telling me to be quiet, yet YOURE the one making all the noise here and keeping us involved in this thread - ever stopped to consider why you're the only one, and why you're not getting any support from any moderators such as Paul Wilders, or the Ewido author, or any other forum users?

Have a good think about it.

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Thread locked until further notice as things seem to be getting OT and confrontational.

12. Paul Wilders

tazdevil,

Your comments in this thread are clearly over the line as for either good taste or conducive to productive discussion. They didn't further any discussion, served to inflame the participants, and assumed a moral authority that was inappropriate. We will no tolerate such a behaviour over on this board. Consequently, you hereby are officialy warned. In case you feel the need to comment on this decision, contact one of the Administrators.

This thread stays closed.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.