ewido anti-spyware 4.0.0.172 final is available now!

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by vinzenz.ewido, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Thanks for the information. The spybot team already said that it will be approximately fixed with the update on friday.

BR

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was thinking it might be monitored like other AS snanners with the shield itself.
    Another idea is to add some spyware sites blocking feature like the web-shield in SpySweeper.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ gre87y

I have taken the liberty to split your post out into a thread of it's own in hopes of providing proper support. Please continue in the below thread.

This one---> Unable to activate the shield

4. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

Thank you

5. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

Vinzenz and Peter? Have you noticed the thread (v4 not updating) further down the forum list, about the total of signature updates on v4.0.0.172 being reported as not having changed on many customers' user panels from 353,951, since the last two updates or more? Something must be wrong? Can you comment please?

6. vinzenz.ewido

Isn't the thread enough? We're reading the threads, but there's some time of the day we're not working and are in our beds. :rolleyes:

BR

7. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

Well it was noted that someone had responded to other threads but not the the thread I pointed out; until just now! Thanks

8. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Registered Member

I've recently been playing around with Ewido, but I noticed it uses huge amount of memory when starting up (70MB peak) and scanning (>250MB peak). Is that normal?

Also, why doesn't Ewido recognize the NOD32 LSP's? Seems to me they are fairly common. Would be very nice to see reporting/submitting functionality implemented a la GIANT Anti-Spyware / NOD32 ThreatSense.

Last, in the Possibly Unwanted Software scanner settings, Ewido lists: Adware, Tracking Cookies, Riskware, Dialers. But, under what category do virusses, worms, trojans, backdoors, etc fall? Riskware? The Help-file isn't helpfull here and misses out in naming many many threats.

9. vinzenz.ewido

Unfortunately yes. While scanning this is normal and can be under several circumstances much more.

I'm not sure why they aren't listed. We will take a look why.

Maybe some time.

Viruses, worms, trojans and backdoors aren't "possibly" unwanted so it won't be possible to change an option.

10. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Registered Member

Thanx for the reply!

Would really be usefull. I occasionally come across unknown malware, but I stopped submitting it since it is just too time-intensive.

Same goes for the latest Java Browser Extension ssv.dll (not the BHO) with CLSID
    CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0007-ABCDEFFEDCBC

11. stingray55

stingray55 Registered Member

I'm having the same thing, and not whilst running a scan... Ewido uses around 80-200mb just running in the background as both the "guard" and the program itself. That is to say that "ewido.exe" uses 40mb in the background with a peak of around 110mb, whilst "guard.exe" uses about the same. So the two together use up around 80mb, and 200mb at peak use (again, not whilst running an scan).

The old version used to use up around 40-50mb so I stopped using it as a background guard (there are enough other background programs running and using memory as it is)... and just ran scans every so often. I also stopped using Nortons AV as that too has become memory hungry, and I now use Kaspersky AV as it uses up a lot less and is now also rated the best AV. I had hoped that the new version of Ewido would gobble up less memory as I'd read somewhere that it would...

I also have Trojan Hunter, and that only uses 5mb if set to "guard" in the background. Would it not possible for Ewido to somehow use a lot less memory, same as Trojan Hunter?

Unfortunately for me, Ewido is now the most memory hungry program I run (and that's including Photoshop and others of that sort). I have 1mb of RAM, which should be enough but Ewido still eats up a fair percentage of it. Without any applications open, my computer is at about 55% of its physical memory when using Ewido. Shutting down Ewido can spare me around 2-3%. Every little bit helps ;)

12. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

I don' see this - ewido uses 1.8MB, the guard 7.5MB. But even if it is far more, that wouldn't be a big deal, as most of it would be in virtual memory while inactive.

I have far bigger things that are open most of the time; Outlook or Firefox for instance, or CPDN. Still, all this together is still a small portion for a 1GB memory. Again, most of it will anyway be paged out to virtual memory while inactive.

13. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Exactly, that's the most important message! :)

14. mrs.biggo

mrs.biggo Registered Member

I had the 3.5 version, and updated last night to 4.0, because the 3.5 anti-malware guard crashed! I have my new license key, and when I opened the 4.0 to scan, it shows that all I have is a TRIAL VERSION that will expire in 23 days !! I still had well over a year of time left on my 3.5 version and I have LOST IT?!?!? Please tell me this isn't so!

15. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

It isn't so :) All you need to do is convert your old license to a new one.
    http://www.ewido.net/en/upgrade

16. mrs.biggo

mrs.biggo Registered Member

:rolleyes: Whew ! Thanks gre87y ! Mission accomplished!

17. honeybunny

honeybunny Suspended Member

@Mrs.Biggo

A after installing have a look to the SysTray Icon of Ewido. Most of all at the right corner of your Computer Screen.

Klick on the new Ewido Symbol with the right Mouse key and have a lokk, if " strting with Windows " is activated. If not, do it and it's activated automatically after reboot and so every Systemstart in the future.

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ Biscuit,

IMHO....your issue should remain separate from a software announcement thread and I have taken the liberty to split the relevant posts out of this Announcement thread. I have created a separate thread for this issue which can be continued in the below thread.

This thread---> Giving resellers advance notice of price rises?

19. shoe

shoe Registered Member

New install

Just dumped Spysweeper because of too mamy on going problems and installed full version Ewido4.
    This is a great program running great so far

20. sargyork

sargyork Registered Member

I don't think I have seen this answered yet. I bought the 3.5 vertion about two mounths ago for both of my pcs. I can not find my old e-mail with the licence keys. How can I recover the keys so that I can use the full vertion of 4.0? As I still have a year left before having to renew.

21. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I'm quite certain that Ewido can help you if you send them an email with the details of, for instance, your email address at the time of buying Ewido two months ago.

22. Socio

Socio Registered Member

With out any doubt my favorite new feature! :thumb:

23. Lewis1

Lewis1 Registered Member

With a transfer rate of ...now...as low as 8 KBps at Ewido.net I'll wait till Filehippo or some other download site gets it.

24. tim50stroud

tim50stroud Registered Member

I've been running a registered copy of 3.5 for months now and just followed the update path when i flashed up to get 4.0; no mention of how to upgrade the subscription and i finally gave up and re-installed 3.5. NO RESPONSE from any help emails sent to ewido; is this forum the only support medium? When I first tried it, I was VERY impressed with the tech support by email, and it was that that prompted me to buy; it makes a good product excellent. I've finally tracked down the registration conversion page, and will try again tonight, but it shouldnt take me trawling through fora to find the answer. Still no reply from ewido support
    Tim

25. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Can you please send me your email address and/or full name via PM so I can check what went wrong with your requests? 95% of all requests are answered within 24h hours, perhaps something went wrong (spam-filter, provider blocking etc.)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.