Ewido 4.0 beta bug

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by Chubb, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Hmm my firefox started crashing too for now. But after shuting down guard completly (shutting down its service) and ewido.exe (of 4.0) it made no different it was still crashing

after removing edocprinter and rebooting the problem was gone. I really think that problem is rather on edocs site than on our but I'll keep an eye on it.

BR

2. vinzenz.ewido

Manual scan are not shown there. The statistics are for the scheduled scans only. The scheduler ist still a bit buggy, we're working on the problem.

BR

3. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

I'm a bit concerned about the upgrade/install for 3.5 users - I mentioned it in the other 'Install question(s)' topic. I don't think this is the intended functionality - certainly not when the final version is released.
    1. I installed the 4.0 beta without uninstalling 3.5 first (there were no instructions to do either)
    2. When the installation was complete, 3.5 was still running
    3. After a reboot, both 3.5 and 4.0 guards were launched
    4. Trying to uninstall 3.5 I found that the 3.5 Add/Remove Program entry has disappeared (replaced with 4.0?)
    5. I am unable to find a manual uninstaller for 3.5
    I am aware that the two can co-exist; I just don't think this is the final solution. I think the final release should either do an upgrade of 3.5; or uninstall it, while keeping all the settings.

4. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

There should definitely be an "uninstall.exe" inside the ewido 3.5 directory. If not, you could install 3.5 again and then uninstall it. 3.5 and 4.0 can co-exist without any problems (the overwritten uninstall entry in the CP is a bug in the current setup and will be fixed soon)

5. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Another issue with the installer is this one.
    When I downloaded ewido 4 beta I launched the installer immediately in order to install it.I believed that I would receive a message that ewido 3.5 was installed and 3.5 would be automatically removed by the installer of 4.0 beta.Since this didn't happen I understood that 4.0 would run with 3.5 so I decided to remove 3.5 manually and then continue with the installation
    of 4.0.

So I left the installer of 4.0 running and I launched 3.5 uninstaller through control panel's Add/Remove programs .I received an error message in German(!) which is weird because I have configured ewido 3.5 in the english language and the uninstallation of 3.5 was aborted.
    After trying running directly the uninstall.exe from 3.5 folder I still got the same message so I figured out that there was some kind of a conflict with ewido's 4.0 open installer.I terminated ewido 's 4.0 beta installer and 3.5 uninstalled succesfully.
    So there is an issue when 4.0's installer is open and you try to uninstall 3.5.
    I didnt think of capturing that error message in German yesterday nor I can remember what it was saying since I dont speak German.If you think this is a bug and you cannot reproduce it I would be happy to reinstall 3.5 and capture the error message.
    Of course the whole issue could be just an installer issue not allowing two concurrent instances running but I cannot be sure since I cannot read the error message.

6. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I am having the same display problem with Windows 2000. I have Windows 2000 dual boot with my Windows XP. Regional options was configured to Chinese HKSAR. The signature database was shown as "314,", the same as in Windows XP which I have previous reported. o_O o_O

My English version of Windows 2000 was updated to SP4 and all hotfixes and security fixes, and HKSCS characters from Microsoft was installed (HKSCS - 2001 support for Windows 2000 and Windows XP) in http://www.microsoft.com/hk/hkscs/default.aspx

By the way, was Ewido 4.0 written in unicode?

Attached Files:

7. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Yes, full unicode support :)

8. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I have been noticing over the last few days with the automatic updates, that the resident shield is disabled after ewido has updated.
    I have to enable the resident shield on the main GUI and all is well again until next automatic update and the same problem again.
    I dont know if this has been noticed by other beta testers.
    Hopefully this will be looked into and others might confirm this.

THE MUL

9. vinzenz.ewido

OK I can't reproduce the problem, but I can imagine why it can occour and I'm fixing it at the moment. I'm sorry for the inconvenience I made. :oops:

BR

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Vinzenez,

You know what is the cause of the problem? I just by chance saw the update ran by itself (automatically) and a balloon was popup in the system tray area. I was surprised to see that the number of signatures shown in the balloon was also "314,"!!! :eek: The screenshot was attached.

Anyway, thanks for fixing it..:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  11. vinzenz.ewido

Yeah, I know that it is there too. Thanks for the screenshot, but I would believe it without the screenshot too ;)

We just uploaded the latest build to the update server, can you please update ewido anti-malware 4 beta and check if the problem still exists?

Thanks. :)

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Now there are 00 behind the comma?

Attached Files:

13. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Same here with build 150. :doubt: ;)
    Also although I installed on top the English version, it still showed a German window telling me
    another copy was detected and would be updated. :D

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Vinzenz,

Thanks for fixing the issue. Just updated to 4.0.0.150 and the counter is now correct, "314,641" as shown.
    "Files in quarantine" showed "0" and "Detected malware so far" showed "2".

But gerardwil's screen showed 0,00 now. So what is the problem?

Attached Files:

15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thanks 00 solved :)

Gerard

16. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Ewido crashed after a I cancelled a fast scan and I pressed the button "new scan".
    The crash generated an ewido.err file .
    The file can be downloaded here
    http://users.ntua.gr/el00133/ewido.err

It seems that I can reproduce the bug in a fairly simple manner.
    I Start a fast system scan and I let it run till half way as shown in the first picture.
    Then I press "cancel".Then when I press new scan I get the error message shown in picture 2.
    I have tried stopping it earlier but it doesnt crash.It seems as if there is a point that after it passes when you stop the scan it crashes.

Attached Files:

17. chaos

chaos Registered Member

the error message is the following.(It doesnt let me upload two files in one post)

Attached Files:

18. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Also if you notice the previous capture there is the problem with the commas.
    It says
    "Skipped Objects: 0,00"
    "Infected objects : 0,00"

19. chaos

chaos Registered Member

well while trying to reproduce the previous bug I discovered one more.
    Its really difficult to describe ...
    While making a system scan either Full or fast or any other type of scan, it doesnt really matter,
    there is a counter named "Scanned Objects" counting the number of objects being scanned.
    Usually the format is something like:
    Scanned Objects: 12.345
    While the scan was progressing I noticed that while almost all the numbers are of
    the above format some numbers (very few) had the following format
    Scanned Objects: 12.345,00
    There is no way to capture this in a photo because the counter increases very fast so
    I took a video of it.Which is available here.
    (Just the area that this counter is located)
    http://users.ntua.gr/el00133/ewidozero_bug.avi

If you watch carefully the video you will notice that while all numbers are of the correct format
    some numbers(very few .I think in the video they are only 4),during a blink of an eye(so dont even blink while watching the video),appear to
    have the format XXX.YYY,00 where X & Y are digits.

Sorry for not capturing the whole program screen but my connection is slow (Pstn)and the video was about 30Mbytes.

Another way to see the problem is to just launch a scan and watch carefully the counter.There you will certainly see during 0.5 of a second that some numbers have a different format that changes for very little time from XXX.YYY to XXX.YYY,00.
    I hope that you will be able to see these numbers!!

20. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi chaos,

I was able to capture the ,00 screenshots from your video using slow motion in PowerDVD :D

Attached Files:

21. chaos

chaos Registered Member

:D :D
    you are creative hehe...;)
    nice now they have the proof I couldnt think how to provide them except from the video...:D

22. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Just a small thing, spelling. I assume the last word should be threats rather than threads.

Attached Files:

23. Joliet Jake

Grammar issue...should be 'these' and not 'this'...

Attached Files:

24. Joliet Jake

Grammar issue... should be 'is' not 'was'...

Attached Files:

25. Joliet Jake

Grammar issue... should be 'an' not 'a'...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.