Ewido 3.0 shell extension - where is it?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by nameless, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I've installed Ewido 3.0 on two separate WinXP SP-2 systems, and the same thing has happened on both: I chose the option to install the shell extension (i.e. context menu scan option), but no such option appears anywhere. Not on files, not on directories, and not on drives.

What gives?

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I had the same problem, when trialling Ewido. :)

3. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

I've sent an e-mail to Ewido Support for the same problem. I will post their reply.

4. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Here is their reply:

"We are currently working on this bug and hope to release a fix soon.
    With best regards,
    Your ewido networks Support-Team"

5. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Update released - does it now work? ;)

6. nameless

I gave up on Ewido for other reasons, so others will have to answer for me.

7. peter.ewido

Which are? ;)

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I can confirm that the shell extension is working now. Thanks Fish.

Thanks,

Chris

9. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

It is working on my end too... but no scanning for folders?

10. Chris12923

I can scan folders no problem here.

Thanks,

Chris

11. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

You are right it can scan folders and drives... my mistake :)

12. nameless

1. The real-time scanner uses far too much CPU time, especially when programs are launched. BOClean and TrojanHunter do not have this problem.

2. Lack of documentation. When I click a "help" button, I don't like getting nothing but an excuse for why it's missing.

3. The cutesy interface. I like applications that use normal Windows controls, not custom interfaces.

- One problem with Ewido's interface is resolution scalability. At 1920x1200, the resolution I run, Ewido's interface is not as easy to use as it should be. (The answer isn't "Run a lower resolution", since 99.9% of applications pose no problem to me, since they use a normal interface.)
    - Another problem with Ewido's interface also arises from its custom design. When I click the Task Bar button, the Ewido window doesn't minimize. Instead, I have to click the tiny "_" button in its window to minimize it. This is irritating to me.
    - The custom interface doesn't work with window-manipulating utilities I use, such as WinShade. Again, this is very irritating.
    - The window isn't resizable. Very inconvenient.

4. Odd design choices. Why, when I click the "Everything" button in the scanner window, will it keep adding "everything" over and over? Shouldn't it realize that "everything" is already present after the first time? (Before anyone gets sarcastic with me, I'll point out that I only pressed the "Everything" button multiple times to test for this exact sort of programming sloppiness.)

5. I went to update it the other day, and it said "You can't update until you reboot". I rebooted. And still it said "You can't update until you reboot". I restarted the control center service. And still it said "You can't update until you reboot". At that exact point, I lost all patience and decided that I didn't even want to bother with the free version of Ewido.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  13. peter.ewido

Just because other scanners don't use as much CPU power as ewido does, it doesn't mean it's not needed. The ewido engine is very hard to fool, some people even say it's harder to patch a trojan against ewido than against KAV. You simply can't have maximum protection with the lowest resource usage.

I agree with that. Unfortunately we aren't native English speakers so we need some time for the translation.

Personal preference. ;)

It's not programming sloppiness! Older versions had such a check but unfortunately there were A LOT users complaining that they couldn't add something to the scan list because the whole drive was already added, therefore we decided to remove the check.

The first real bug I can see ;( (which will of course be fixed asap ;))
    Btw. it would have been nice if you'd sent an email to our support so we can find a solution for that.

14. nameless

It makes no difference to me how "awesome" Ewido's memory scanner is. If it chokes my system, it is not usable. Other people have complained about the same thing, right here in this forum.

I agree; a lot of people want their serious security software to look nice, rather than be compatible with a variety of resolutions, DPI settings, window-manipulation utilities, and the Explorer shell itself. I can see why someone would want a window to behave abnormally (i.e. no minimize via Task Bar). And I also understand why some people hate resizable windows: It's great when the contents of the window don't fit, but you can't do anything about it except scroll left-and-right and up-and-down. I can see why that would be a "personal preference", sure.

I've been trialing and using a variety of anti-malware software recently. So far, I've been ignored by the BOClean and TrojanHunter people, and after having been turned off by Ewido, I had no interest or inclination in reporting these problems.

Thanks for being responsive. I may give Ewido another shot, at some point.

15. nameless

I should add that my responses are somewhat colored by the very bad mood I'm in today. While I stand by what I said, I also appreciate the fact that you have been so responsive, and show an interest in improving your product. That alone may make me dump the others in favor of Ewido. (Being ignored really, really pisses me off.)

Edit: I've reinstalled Ewido, and we'll see how it goes. The shell extension registered itself correctly under HKCR this time, and it works fine.

Thanks again for your feedback. Support is one of the most important things to me.

16. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Today I was actually working on cleaning some computers that were heavily infected with trojans/adware. I used Ewido to scan under safe mode and because video drivers are not used in safe mode it was a little difficult to navigate and get around because of the ewido custom interface. What particularly made it difficult was trying to find the minimize and maximize button. Also it was very difficult to distinguish the side menus (status, update, scanner, etc). If I wasnt familiar using this program I might have had a difficult time :)

Lastly I was wondering if there could be an option to remove all malware AFTER a complete scan. Kind of like Adaware and Spybot do. The two computers I was working on today were so riddled with malware that the clean dialog box would pop up every second (literally). I only got to 40% completion of the scan because of the constant dialog boxes. Granted some of the threats were not serious like cookies (Ewido surpisingly found a lot of such cookies even after an Adaware and Spybot scan) , but there were also quite a large number of positively identified trojans as well. Either way I think this might be a worthwhile feature to implement.

17. Chris12923

I know this is off topic but I have submitted this to Ewido support as well as a future enhancement. I hope it will be implimented.

18. peter.ewido

We're currently thinking of a complete redesign of the scanner/whole suite but as we have a lot of other things still to do, this will have to wait, maybe even until version 4.0... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  19. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

The shell extension is working now for drives, folders and files. Thanks Fish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.