Even With AntiSpyware: Too Many Spies???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mrm3601, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrm3601

mrm3601 Registered Member

Hello.

Another question from the person who knows next to nothing about personal computers and software:

I am running SpySweeper, Online Armor (trial edition, I've removed Zone Alarm Pro), NOD32, SUPERAntiSpyware (trial edition) and AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 (trial edition). Neither I nor my wife surf "suspicious" web sites, yet every time I run one or more of the anti-spyware programs we consistently return 13 or more caught items. Is this typical?

We use IE 7.0 and "Security" is set to "Medium High" under Tools>Internet Options. Additionally, "Privacy," under Tools>Internet Options is also set to "Medium High." Can anyone comment on these settings?

Also, is it suggested that we use some extra security feature(s) such as "a-squared Anti-Malware 3.0," and/or "ProcessGuard," and/or "Sandboxie"?

I have to catch my breadth. Your responses are appreciated.

2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

What are the detected items ?

If they are cookies then they are not security threats:thumb:

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

Too many spywares(malwares)? just because one has too many antispyware apps installed. There are just few good AS apps around, producing reliable reports, while many others gear for much higher catches, resulting in too many F.P., these are one's so-called too many spies. Often too many conflicting reports make one's head spinning. Which one to believe ? one may asks oneself. I have gone thru this crazy route. Now I am using disposable PC, yes, fully disposable and free everyday. After adopting virtualzation app (such as DeepFreeze in my case), I use very minimal AS coverages, and enjoying happy cyberlife. AS app to me these days is a tool to find out what might be "catch of the day". Take care.

4. mrm3601

"What are the detected items ? If they are cookies then they are not security threats"

Thanks for your response. I'll take a look and I'll make another post.

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I use IE6 with Security set to 'Medium'. With that setting you are vulnerable to certain exploits using Active X, Sun Java, and scripting. To mitigate this I use ZA Pro; with its Mobile Code control set to full (including java scripting) you are very unlikely to hit a succesful exploit (though you do need to allow java script on safe sites which require it).

If you did hit an exploit that downloaded an executable on you it would need to run to harm you. Process Guard would give you the chance to prevent this as it has execution control. If you would rather run an AS prog with execution control (instead of HIPS) then try CounterSpy (much better realtime protection than AVG-AS or SAS in my opinion, so long as you use execution protection feature correctly).

For Cookies I prefer to set IE to max and block them altogether, only allowing them for sites that need cookies. ZA Pro Privacy section also allows cookie control if you prefer not to use your browser. Using a cache cleaner, such as the one in ZA Pro's Perivacy section, or CCleaner, will clean out all unwanted cookies in any case. If you would just get in the habit of using a cache cleaner before you scan you would stop finding irrelevent things.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It sounds like you are running two antispyware programs real-time.
    I would settle for one real-time,and whatever you like for on-demand scanners.

Sandboxie is a good idea.

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Agree with above posters...you are best to run only one AS, one AV, and one firewall. Otherwise conflictions are possible, and system slowdowns.Any of the three antispy applications you mention (SAS, AVG, or A2) would be OK, the other/s can be set up to use as demand scanners every so often. I use SpywareTerminator realtime, which is another AS, and find it to be good.
    Another useful layer is provided by SpywareBlaster, by Javacool. Does not run or use resource, just blocks known bad pages and Activex from loading. Needs updating periodically. Free, simple, recommended.
    I think you're probably pretty well protected for a safe surfer. I'm also guessing that almost all the threats you are finding will be cookies. As said above, use something like Ccleaner to empty the cache after each browsing session, that'll take care of them.
    Is the firewall you use a two way firewall? Good if it is. (ie; blocks outbound, without approval.)

8. mrm3601

I acknowledge and thank all who have responded to my questions.

I'm currently using Online Armor which states that it is a 2-way firewall (using version 2, trial edition).

I'm trying to decide on a firewall: Online Armor, Zone Alarm Pro, or Commodo and I KNOW, I KNOW: there's a wealth of posts on these.

Thank you all so much.:)

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's a hard decision to make.
    You almost have to try them for yourself and see how each runs on your system.

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

You might consider the combination of Spy Sweeper (try to configure it for extra security, make sure to opt out on the search assistent and ask.com toolbar, you probably need to 'customize' or something like that on installation), IE 7 (preferably use elevated security settings, even in usually 'trusted zones'), Counterspy, and some antivirus. I haven't noticed any conflicts between the Spy Sweeper and Counterspy (both on active protection). Counterspy sometimes asks you if you want to allow something or not (depends on your settings), so it can be a little tricky, but in the past 6 months I got only one adware/spyware program on my system (detected by a scan of Counterspy), and of course some cookies.

And make sure your antivirus doesn't conflict with the other software ...

And see: http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/well-this-is-interesting.html

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.