European Christmas gift giving tradition on the 24th?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Devinco, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Merry Christmas,

Is it currently more popular in Europe to have the Christmas gift giving custom on Dec. 6 (St. Nicholas' feast day), Christmas Eve the 24th, or like the american custom on Christmas morning the 25th?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

We have (or had, when the kids were still little and at home) a totally different variation. On New Year's Eve, Jimmy Claus (Santa's brother) would come around to bring any gifts that Santa forgot or was too overloaded to include on his "first trip". ;)

My wife's originally from Cape Breton, N.S., and introduced me to this. I've never been clear whether this was from just her family, or a highly localized subculture tradition.

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Always like to know how others around the world view things. Thanks for the info. Interesting. ;)

4. Devinco

Thanks Mike.
    That's a good idea. Only now the kids will start asking how many relatives does Santa have and when will they visit. :p

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I think Sinterklaas (december 5) is only celebrating in Belgium and Netherlands. It still is, especially to families with little children.
    Also in families with grown up kids who like to tease eachother, like in my family. They are preparing gifts with special poems :D
    Never the less there is a trend that also at Christmas relatives, lovers etc. giving presents, mostly done I think at december 25.

Gerard

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Yes and they (my kids) do know that date very well. :rolleyes: :D
    I can only talk about my experience, but we give gifts to family on Christmas day, but it's not a trend, merely a custom from us. It existed when I was young and it still exists now. :)

In fact we get twice presents, one on December, 6th and the other one on December, 25th. :p

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's the way it was in my family too, although we didn't get many presents. :)
    Usually I created a copy myself, like the Monopoly game, one of my favorites in those days.

8. Devinco

Thanks Gerard.

For anyone interested, according to this site, Sinterklaas,
    So the custom appears to be in Germany and Austria as well. The site explains that only in Belgium and the Netherlands St. Nicholas comes from Spain.

According to some friends from Hungary, the St. Nicholas gift giving custom on the 5th-6th was also practiced there. Perhaps other European countries as well?
    Good children would get various sweets and bad kids would only get a golden colored branch in their shoe.
    On Christmas Eve the 24th, Baby Jesus (the Angel) would bring the Christmas tree (previously hidden) alight with candles, sparklers, decorations, and candies. Baby Jesus would also bring the presents. The children would get to open the presents on the 24th.

Thank you all for sharing your traditions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.