ETA for NOD32 v3.0 ??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by EvilDave UK, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Does anyone know if there's an ETA for NOD32 v3.0 yet? Would be nice to know, as in something to look forward to. :)

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No and there won't be, in the past when a timeline has been given and not met the lynch mob rallies around trying to have a go at the person that mention the timeline.

Cheers :D

3. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

With all due respect, I find this to be a safe answer and an excuse for not getting the product done in a timely fashion which demonstrates poor business ethics

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Was`t going to say anything, but now I have to. Are your feelings the same with MS`s ongoing delays for releasing Vista?

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I disagree with your statement mata7. No software producer wants their feet held over the fire for a completion date for a new version.
    It has been my experience that when Eset releases a "beta", it is almost ready to go. In other words, Eset's betas won't destabilize your system.

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Ding, Ding, Ding...right on the money! Anything to keep from being held accountable to their customers. But watch out, you might get censored.

7. Blackspear

So you would rather have a half baked product thrown onto the market that causes issues after issue, and requires patch upon patch upon patch. Now that sounds really logical :rolleyes: :blink:

I don't know what you are alluring to here, who knows, as there isn't any censorship on this website, we do have a TOS though to keep everything running smoothly.

Blackspear.

8. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Ah thank you very much! I have not had such a good laugh for a while now.

9. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

As much as I am curious about the next version and look forward to any improvements, I am very happy with the current one. I would rather wait using a top product now and then upgrade to an even better one, than be premature in changing over to an unfinished product launched for competitve/commercial/advertising reasons. Let's give Eset the time they need :)

10. Blackspear

Well said.

Cheers :D

11. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Better then being responsible for a half-backed product.

Come on guys, ESET lives from sales. They WILL release a new product, or lose out on the market. I applaud them for not releasing some unstable piece of software just to meet marketing demands! :thumb:

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

As ESET is a responsible company dealing in securtity software there is no way they will release something that they know isn't ready for the purpose it was intended.
    Giving an estimated date for arrival just makes a rod for their own back.

Security software must be seen as a special case when it comes to new developments as it must be fit for purpose.

13. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

God, I hope Bill Gates read this page! :D

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't agree completely. How much damage can do few screenshots with note that it's just a basic idea how it will look in the end?
    None. We never asked for exact info on anything, just rough summary on what new can we expect in v3.0 and some overview screenshots. Thats especially interesting for those who wish to renew NOD32 at the moment. But they don't have a clue what to expect and they might even dislike NOD32 3.0. Also not all of us had chance to go to Hannover to see latest software tech.

I respected direct info from Alwil team because they always gave us some insight, not detailed but they always told us what to expect in new version. There were also things that were scraped later (improved VRDB for example) and no one complained. It was their decision, so we accepted it.
    And thats what i miss from ESET. After all we are the ones who keep the company running, the customers. When they(ESET) release BETA there isn't any place for bigger corrections and improvemements recommended by users.
    All they do with beta version is debugging of already finished product.
    And i know all users prefer to have some effect on the product they like and prefer (and buy in the end!). Just a thought...

15. n8chavez

I'm not saying that at all. But thanks for trying to put words in my mouth. I simply mean that there has been no word what so ever; not even at cebit, where it most logically would have been inveiled. Look at KAV 6. They have had an extensive beta program. We were able to test the product at nearly ever stage. Not so apparently with NOD

There have been several times when I have said "anti nod" things where my comments were either deleted or the thread was closed.

Acting very defensive here, aren't we.

RejZoR- Couldn't have said things better myself.

How many times are these threads going to have to be created, these questions asked before NOD actually gives a damn about its customers?

16. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Software development is difficult...I don't think many people realize that. A lot of times when you think the product is ready...something major comes out which knocks you back a few steps...like some major Windows Update. Or perhaps some other core change that MS is about to release...which Eset might know about, but we don't yet.

Notice during Q3/Q4...that many game developers rush buggy products out the door just in time for X-Mas sales? 1/2 baked buggy games..they spend the next 6 months releasing patches and point releases to fix the code.

Some software companies let the cat out of the bag early on with lots of betas, others don't. Eset appears to have made their choice of not being one of those. It's their choice..they have a right to do so.

I bet within weeks after 3.0 is released..they'll start getting nagged for details about 3.5.

17. n8chavez

What justification do you have for not even giving their customers, you know the ones who are supposed to buy this product, a feature set?

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I thought the current version of Nod was a very good one, there have been a few inquires as to the next versions release. Was I mistaken is there something wrong with the current one or are there just some very impatient people that are never satisfied with what they have?? Nah I think Nod is just fine, it must be the other.

bigc

19. Adramalech

Adramalech Registered Member

FACK!! If you decide to go the way to test new features in your Beta program you'll never get people satisfied. After all, you can never satisfy everybody. For instance if I take a look at the wish-list thread, there some more and some less usefull wishes....

Having an idea by your own and presenting the costumers the product, and eventually doing some tuning later is the best way IMHO.

20. pettyracing

pettyracing Registered Member

Ver. 2 runs well, light on resources. All tests/reviews indicate very good performance. Why are some people so impatient to get a new version with maybe a few new things added/deleted. If you are not getting infected now, it runs light, and updates are plentiful what more do you want?

And the moment someone catches the 1st bug, they'll be flaming eset for buggy software. To me ver. 2 is stable and covers most or all of today's threats.

I thought the comment mata7 was in itself not warranted. I never heard of a car company showing pictures and road tests of their cars before they're introduced.

21. berng

berng Registered Member

No you're not mistaken. This is a very good product that takes care of malware unobtrusively. I’ve had other intrusive products the have startup splash screens reminding us of what is protecting us or suites that have slow multi step updates to definitions and programs components with reboots sometimes thrown in.

So there is no hurry.

On the other hand we’re teased with the news that there is a major release coming with some details listed with additional info from CEBIT. If ESET wanted this to be quiet, why bring all that up in the first place.

So why keep the date a secret? A general estimate would do – summer 2006, or whatever. When we develop new software in our corporate group, if we told the business that we’re developing this software but we don’t have a date, it will be ready when it’s ready, we would get fired.

22. Blackspear

The average customer doesn't give a hoot about version 3, version 4 or version 5, they are quite happy with their fully functioning version 2.5x

Blackspear.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well we aren't average customers and we sure do give a damn about it.

24. Blackspear

I am looking forward to it to, however, I can wait until they are ready :D

25. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I too am looking forward to the new version. I hope with the new version you won't have to reboot after an install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.