Established not shown automaticly

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Peter Weise, Oct 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Weise

Peter Weise Guest

Hello, ;)

I think that Port Explore is an excellent program, and therefore I would like to help to improve it.

I think I have found an error in Port Explorer. Just when the program is started, it is the tab array ”all” which are shown, if I now change to the tab array ”Established”, then it is empty, even there are 3 processes which are ”Established”. They are not shown as ”Established” on the TCP tab array either.
    If I now go to settings and thereafter set a mark (or remove it) in Hide Netstat Sockets, then the processes which are ”Established” are shown when I shift to another tab arrary. Don’t they ought to appear by themselves ?

Regards

Peter.
    ;)

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Peter and welcome!
    On how many seconds is your refresh?
    For me it works the way it should, refreshing, showing the correct status, the hidden and normal sockets everywhere.....

Which windows version are your running, and which firewall?

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It is best to leave "Hide Netstat Sockets" option OFF if you want the correct status for each socket.

-Jason-

4. Peter weise

Peter weise Guest

:D

Hello Jooske,

Thanks for your answer, I have not registered Port Explorer yet so my refresh is 3 sec. But even if I wait for 60 sec. no update is happening ( yes update is happening, but not the status Listening/ Established ) , neither if I press manually on Refresh (F5). It is not until I either activate Hide Netstat Sockets, or deactivate Hide Netstat Sockets, if it started as active, that an update is happening, so I can see which processor there are in ”Established” mode.

I use Win XP SP1 and ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0

Regards
    Peter.

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Peter,

In every situation I have seen, the tabs filter everything fine. If you open PE and look in the main screen immediately for established connections, find there are some - then click the established tab they are there. Haven't been able to replicate the issue at all so perhaps the socket was no longer established o_O

Maybe a couple of screenshots if you are constantly seeing a problem, first in the main screen then straight to the filtered tabs. The code for filtering the tabs is quite simple and is the same across all PE builds, full or demo. So there should be no problems :)

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Tried it in every way with and without netstat sockets showing:
    only one time did not see the established connection, which was a netstat socket, so of course it did not show up with netstat sockets hidden.
    I'm used to have all sockets up, including the netstat sockets and all shows up fine when toggling through the tabs /filters.

7. Peter Weise

Peter Weise Guest

I have worked a little bit more with the problem. In case I start the Port Explorer with the setting “Hide Netstat Sockets” (the setting was made last time I used Port Explorer, so Port Explorer starts now without showing the Netstat Sockets), all processes are shown as “Listening” (at the main screen) including the two, which are really in “Established mode”, namely programs called skype.exe (a small telephone-program) and msnmsgr.exe. (Messenger from Microsoft). When I start my Internet Explorer, all processes for that program are marked as “Listening”.
    If I now remove the setting at ”Hide Netstat Sockets”, all the relevant processes are shown as “Established” at the main screen, just as I described before, and also at the “Established tab” of course.

In case I start Port Explorer without the setting ”Hide Netstat Sockets” activated, the program shows all processes which are in “Established mode” from the beginning in the main screen and the established tab

The processes/programs I had tested, called skype.exe, msnmsgr.exe and Iexplorer.exe are not netstat sockets, should be shown all right, no matter which settings for “Hide Netstat Sockets” are activated.
    When Port Explorer show “Established” in front of the processes, which are activated, I can mark “Hide Netstat Sockets”, without this will have effect on the possibilities of Port Explorer can show the state of the processes which are established. This means the processes, which are created and are shifted to “Established” are shown fine, as they should.

Just one more question: How do you read/ interpret the following data, for example this:
    "Sent 41497/4.623.549” and “Received 82.808/-1.578.766.614"
    How much data is received in Kbits, is /-1.578.766.614 = 1.5 Gb?

Regards
    Peter.

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Peter,

Well done, this is indeed a bug :D

Thanks for info, we will look at it soon. For now simply remember to leave netstat sockets SHOWING I think is the best idea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.