essential freeware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

excellent, they're the same games aren't? i mean the same software as the install version by the same person. i'll just play Asteroids there instead :D thanks

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This program and I are still together after many reinstalls. We're still having fun, and it's still the one! Convert.exe converts many different unit measurements into many other ones.

Josh tries very hard to make things the best they can be. As he puts it,
    "I'm somewhat of a perfectionist (admittedly, not very good at it)..."

Spoken like a true perfectionist! Find Convert at: http://www.joshmadison.com/software/

-HandsOff

3. Arup

Arup Guest

If you like Convert please give Versaverter from http://www.pawprint.net/vv/

I have used many and this is one heck of an app. Their World Timer is also another excellent freebie.

4. HandsOff

Hi Arup-

I have used their world timer, but something about it bothered me. For one thing, I guess it by default wants to connect periodically to do what? verify the clock times? I guess I'm a little conservative in the area of software opening connections for what appear to be frivolous reasons. Maybe others are more exact than I am. when I say 10:00 am, I mean 10:20, and so on.

Plus, and I know this is just vague paranoia kind of stuff, but it seemed to have an awful lot of registry entries, and autostart entries. I am a minimalist. A paranoid minimalist at that.

The following sort of amused me when I saw it. it really is direct from My Documents.

-HandsOff!

P.S. - There is a really cool program that has a world clock in sort of a graphical form. The world is sort of flattened out, and the projection of earth's shadow tells you at a glance where it is morning, daytime, ect...
    There used to be a free version, but it seems not to be free. I think it was called Geo-clock. I'm trying to find the free version. It was a simple thrill, yes, but it was a cheap thrill!

Attached Files:

• F-A.jpg
      F-A.jpg
      File size:
      21.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Arup

Arup Guest

Have been using WT for years, you can easily turn off the auto sync and set it to manual in WT, best off all, it can be configured easily and it has plenty of features including stopwatch, timer, calender with alarm and to do reminder feature and many more, best off all, check out the attached filter to see how it sits on your desktop.

Attached Files:

• WT.jpg
      WT.jpg
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
  6. HandsOff

Hi Arup -

Maybe I should have asked if anyone could vouch for it before I uninstalled it. I miss having a world clock of any kind. If you have used it as long as you say, I feel I can install it with confidence. If I can find my geoclock I will use it. It wasn't necessarily better, but I like globes, and maps, so I liked looking at it.

- HandsOff!

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Yes, give it a try, I like to make it compact but you can have it with analog clock interface too and with the map running in background. You can also turn off the auto sync feature if you want, I keep it on because it keeps my clock synced although I don't know why I need it synced so well:)

8. RipVanTinkle

RipVanTinkle Registered Member

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

10. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I could use some help. I'm looking for a good thought/information/note organizer. I tried Mybase and like it but wanted to see what you might recommend.

What do you use to collect, organize, and save all the snippets of information you collect from various sources?

Thanks for the suggestions/help.

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

here's a thread which might help.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=73079&highlight=treepad

13. Fernando Villegas

Fernando Villegas Registered Member

I don't know how you guys dare to use freeware espically these obscure ones.

You never know if there is a rookit or trojan hidden in it.

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've downloaded 1000's of programs and i haven't even had a tracking cookie in the last year. i know i linked to something which was infected earlier in the thread here but, i also said "in the past there were some problems with Arcade Classic Arcade Pack" i hadn't scanned it before i linked to it. i would normally check it first.

i always scan every download with about 15 scanners before i install it and watch closely what it does during the install then afterward. i make backups too before every install so if it's malware i can go back.

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

also, some which seem obsure from me aren't. it would come from a site i trust not from just searching around, then i'd link to the home page. again the one infection in this thread came from i site i don't normally use because my security software was blocking the home page. i should have stopped there but i had installed a different version before which was clean.

16. Fernando Villegas

Iceni60 I must say you are not reassuring me a bit, particularly when you mention you got people infected by following your recommendations.

I don't think it's any safer to download from the homepage, unless it's a well known site. Anyone can start a homepage for his application. And it still might be malware. And i mean really specially crafted rookit trojan, not some bundled adware stuff that is easier to detect.

17. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

It's not safe to have your machine connected to any kind of network either, nor is letting your kids/wife touching your keyboard, etc.
    For that matter going to your local pub is far from safe, either. I guess it's a matter of making small, calculated compromises for notable gains in various areas.

-RE

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

probably best you don't download anything then. good luck :)

19. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

You have far too much free time - 15 scanners !
    I do backups (sys restore points for winxp + daily backups of data partition) tho.

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i use Jottis malware scan or virustotal, they scan with lots of scanners in one go. then i'll scan with ewido and sometimes bitdefender. there's the real-time scanner/s too.

www.virusscan.jotti.org/
    www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

21. Fernando Villegas

Dear Reve

You are right, I never let anyone else touch my computer. I'm willing to take the risk of connecting online though, because otherwise I wouldn't have the chance to engage in such dazzling arguments with you.

Dear iceni60

Isn't it scary how after scanning with 15 antiviruses you still got infected?

Fern

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i haven't even had a tracking cookie for as long as i can remember, no one was infected with anything. i don't think you are reading the thread correctly. that's the second time you have made that mistake. do you need glasses? or do you have trouble reading? perhaps you should read it again. but, i'm sure i'm right in thinking you haven't even read the post. :rolleyes:

Fern, you where asked a question in the thread below. it's always good to hear an informed intelligent person state their case.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=623198#post623198

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  23. HandsOff

Iceni60-

Any relation to other iceni? Anyway, Fernando's question did elicit some new information from you. Never heard of those apps, not that I really try to keep up. Is either of them free?

I do scan downloads (when I think about it), but I always wonder how likely a scanner is to get something, especially if the download is compressed. You sound like you might have some done some research into this, which is why I ask. Oh I know that most scanners can scan some forms of compressed files. The other day I downloaded a freeware program from a site that wasn't familiar to me. TH said it contained a trojan. could be a false alarm but I let it clean it, and then I deleted it.

At that time I wondered if it was fair to say which software, and which site. It may just be a false alarm. I decided on a compromise. When one of you guys gets infected I'll say, "I knew it!".

-HandsOff

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, HandsOff. do you mean jottis and virustotal? they are free, or donation, online services. you upload the file to their site then scan it, there is a size limit though.

i don't know anything about av scanners. they do have their own unpackers to look inside archives. KAV must have a very good unpacking engine as alot of people trust it. and between all the scanners there's probably not much chance they won't be able to scan inside an archive. a malware writer would have to come up with a new algorithm that's able to reconstruct the file and make sure it still works for it to by-pass the av scanners.

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

probably in the past, but i've started to login now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.