ESS vs NOD32+Windows Firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by berryracer, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have ESS but I was wondering, how does it stack up against the Windows Firewall? Would it be a wise choice to just install NOD32 (which I have been using safely in the past) and stick to the Windows Firewall? I mean, is the ESS firewall really that much better than the Windows Firewall or would I be secure with either one of them?

If Windows Firewall is just as good I may as well install NOD32 v5 only and have my system's performance as high as possible

thanks for your input

2. xaviero7007

xaviero7007 Registered Member

at the moment im using NOD32 v5 +comodo firewall(safe mode) with defense+(safe mode) and doesnt slow down my PC

if you are looking for performance, i think it will be good if you using ESS v5 only...although NOD32 v5+comodo firewall will be alittle bit larger than ESS...but i dont think it´s that much big space for my PC and i dont see any slow down...
    i tried couple of times to install ESS v5 only to see the performance and uninstall it and install NOD32+comodo firewall...and of course ESS v5 perform " alittle bit faster than NOD32+comodo firewall...but it´s just ALITTLE Bit...

*Intel Dual Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.70GHz
    Ram 8G
    Win 7 x64bits

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I use Smart because on v4 (not sure about v5) it actually uses less resources than windows firewall and displays network connections, download speeds etc. Also, I play a lot of online games and get less pop ups for incoming connections than windows firewall. It was designed as an extension of nod32 so should be the best combination? I am behind a router, so I use a software firewall mainly for information, I don't like pop ups so run windows firewall on defaults or use eset on automatic, so both allow all outgoing connections anyway.
    I believe firewalls are mostly snake oil, the protection is nod 32. I would think you and the average home user would be fine with either combination to be honest.

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I will stick with ESS v4 then

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.