ESS not opening in Vista

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tearepa, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tearepa

tearepa Registered Member

Vista refuses to let me open the purchased 32bit smart security on a brand new toshiba. Message is along the lines of cannot open file format contact vendor etc. The same file opens without a hitch in XP. Is there something simple I'm missing here?

2. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Until some good Vista expertise shows up state IF you Deleted the pre-loaded AV that I presume came with the new laptop - you give no background info. While waiting on Help & were it me, I'd Uninstall / Re-Install ESS, see what happens and post back.

If you Uninstall, the best method I've seen involves Deleting Explorer and Registry folders after the Control Panel Add/Delete function.

3. tearepa

Windows Defender which comes with Vista is the existing Security. The immediate problem I had was after copying the file (msi? nsi? sorry to be vague the file type was not recognized by Vista) onto the HD was merely opening it to prompt the install (just a simple double-click) and up popped the msg. Unfortunately I cannot recall the exact msg detail as It wasn't my laptop. But ~File format not recognised..please contact vendor..~ along those lines.
    I will check again if all updates were installed prior to this if this may be the cause.

4. COSMO26

XP/Vista ESS DnLoads as -- "ess_nt32_enu.msi" --- so you're saying when the App is Dbl-Clk'd to start Install, you get the "See Vendor--File Format Not Recognized".

I'm told there is a repairable issue with the Windows Installer service IF the message is the following, but it reads a little different from your phrase: "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package"..... Please advise.

Which Vista are U?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  5. tearepa

Yes that is indeed the message. As for the Vista OS pretty sure it was Business.

6. COSMO26

Here's the Reply I recd:
    Do the steps described in Phase II in this Article: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33560
    Usually, this is because there is some issue javascript, which the update to WHS repairs.
    Sometimes it is a file association issue with the Windows Installer Service, which the update to that service repairs.
    Reboot when done and test.

The 1st Update Link he gives about Windows Scripting Host concerns XP while the Win Installer Update includes Vista. I presume that's your target.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  7. COSMO26

tearepa, See the Private Message - Link I sent you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.