Ess gone mad (false positives)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by djmorgan, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandsnake

sandsnake Registered Member

have you tried the boot from previous good mode?

2. Jacqui D

Jacqui D Registered Member

I need urgent help with this. Practically every every program on my computer will no longer run. Photoshop, Indesign, Acrobat, CorelDraw, Quark Xpress, Dreamweaver, Office 2003.

Running a ESET scan hung after finding 183 infiltrations in Adobe FNP dll's and other programs -- also found several viruses in system restore points and elsewhere. I cannot submit the files as this function has also failed.

Eset does not appear to be functioning 100% after reboot.

I think I have a hosed system :mad:

3. capitalF

capitalF Registered Member

Uninstalling from safe mode, and re-installing with the latest has fixed it for me. At least, for now.

We'll see.

4. Gunz

Gunz Registered Member

Yeah I've tried Last known good configuration, same thing. If I'm lucky I get 10-20 seconds of desktop before its all locks up and refuses to take any more input from any device, keyboard or mouse.

I've just tried an early restore point now, same thing.

I also managed to disable threat sense a moment ago, still locks up. :(

I suppose I'll have to try to uninstall in the absence of any advice from anyone at ESET.

5. Ezel

Ezel Registered Member

Gunz, capitalF and I were able to verify at our lab that "yes", rebooting into safemode and uninstall, works.

Its a massive shame it has to be that way or seeing people even having to use restore points.

So true, only moderators droping in suggestions. Where is the offical word from ESET on the MAJOR SCREWUP?

I assume they hope it will just fade away. Don't get me wrong, still a great product, but where is the informative support?

6. klot

klot Registered Member

3121 did'nt fix it :(

now we started our machines in save mode
    disabled Eset in the services
    disabled nod32 auto startup in hkey localmachine
    restarted in normal mode

and are waiting for an official statement from ESET before reenabling ...

7. Gunz

Gunz Registered Member

Yeah I've just done the uninstall from safemode, and my system has now booted as normal, well its not locked up in 5 mins which is a good sign.

Now the question is, do I re-install it or have I completely lost faith in what was a BOMBPROOF MISSION CRITICAL bit of software. :doubt:

8. gamenlegend

gamenlegend Registered Member

I'm so angry right now. I woke up this morning to find all my adobe programs f'ed up and now I can't even access my normal desktop. I even did a system restore to try and fix this. The only thing it did for me was remove my past few days worth of work.

I'm in safe mode right now, but I cannot uninstall nod32. Windows Installer is not available in safe mode.

How do I remove this or update nod32 manually to 3121?

9. Gunz

Gunz Registered Member

I meant to say, at least I can earn this months money now so a very big thank you to you guys that helped out with suggestions and pointing in the right general direction. I owe you guys a beer. :) Mucho Gracias.

10. Gunz

Gunz Registered Member

Use the uninstaller in Start/ESET/Uninstall.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If some of the Adobe files have been quarantined, you can restore them in normal mode. It shouldn't affect the system stability.

Just in case, please delete the content of the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Charon" folder in safe mode. If you have experienced system hangups, this should resolve such problems. In normal mode, you should be able to update to the latest version fine.

12. Ezel

Ezel Registered Member

gamenleged, I would suggest the following:

In safemode, go to your servies window:
    Click, Start / Settings / Control Panel / then open Administrative Tools and Open SERVICES

Find "ESET SERVICE" and disable it. Reboot in into normal mode, uninstall NOD32, then reboot once more, then install the latest version.

Or as Gunz pointed out above:

Use the uninstaller in Start/ESET/Uninstall

13. gamenlegend

Thank you for the help. Will try rebooting now.

14. KTamas

KTamas Registered Member

Finally got all computers working. This was just... ouch. Seriously.

15. Jacqui D

Jacqui D Registered Member

I have managed to restore the quarantined files, however the ESET virus scan hung during operation and several files are missing from my system (lost following forced shutdowno_O). System restore has FAILED restore points have vanished. The system further hung following ESET program update and yet another forced reboot.

Is there any alternative to re-installing my system? This is not good. I have tons of Photoshop plugins. I have ESS on three other computers that I haven't even looked at yet - what a day... :(

XP-64 sp2 / ESS 64 version

16. JWH

JWH Registered Member

Just to let you all know,

Have had good results on a number of machines that were locking up by booting into safe mode, then uninstalling ESET from the start menu link, not Add/Remove in the Control Panel.

They all then booted fine, and I was able to reinstall ESET and update to the latest sigs (3121) with no problems.

The problem was some dodgy interaction between sig 3120 and Acrobat Writer 8.0.

17. Gunz

Gunz Registered Member

Agreed, a very unpleasant 2 hours of today that I really didn't need with deadlines. I also think we deserve some sort of explanation as to how and why this happened, that's the very least we deserve given the agro we've been put through.

18. RoseDreamJ

RoseDreamJ Registered Member

For those using Vista, this would be:
    C:\Users\All Users\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Charon

But what exactly does this do? I am wondering if Charon means quarantine in a language other than English.

At the onset of this issue, I 'temporarily disabled Eset AV...' as I waited for a fix to be released. I did check the quarantine and nothing was listed. But my system froze after receiving the update and has been unable to boot outside of safe mode since. Perhaps this had something to do with me having been running two of the programs that were previously triggering false positives. So, I am left wondering if I should follow this advice.

EDIT: followed fix here with success: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1247063&postcount=4

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  19. gamenlegend

thanks for the help. everything is back and up and running. got my files back too and an updated version of nod32.

20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

it deleted my baseball program & wouldn't let me install it, I had to give up & come to work, problem is I have just so many installs by persmission of the game co before I have to get it reset (not easy) I am not happy with this update. Last night my game was fine this morning it's a viruse & my exe's are toast & I may have no more install . Color me totally displeased...

21. Gunz

Gunz Registered Member

I can confirm reinstalling after doing a safe mode uninstall cures the problem.

22. OAKside

OAKside Registered Member

Re: ESS Gone Wild!

Luckily at the time of the horrible 3120 update (of death), I was at my PC and able to respond "Leave" to all the blatantly obvious false positives. I then excluded the paths (BF2, COD4, WIC games) from scanning. When update 3121 was applied there haven't been any more of these problems and I've removed the exclusions. Great success.

23. Action man

Action man Registered Member

I hope they fix the bug before someone writes a script exploiting it.

24. viruscraft

viruscraft Registered Member

Thanks god.

The FPs had benn fixed quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.