ESS getting poor with LAN

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bkisc, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkisc

bkisc Registered Member

Hello All,

I've been using ESET since last 3 years very happily but recently ever since I have started using LAN, ESET started messing up things in ways that freak sme out. after banging my head for a while I found a solution but I think ESET fellows should better do something about this, here's what's happening:

I've got a desktop and a netbook, and use a crossover cable to connect them using fix ip address, either 169.254.x.x or 192.168.x.x, everything as required to configure ESET for lan is also done, like Allow Sharing, and Do not ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ up when IP changes etc. these two subnets are added to the Trusted Zone. So basically everything runs okay without fuss Except...

The Problem: I've a high speed wireless internet USB which I use on my desktop for day to day work, so when I dial my internet connection, somehow ESET figures out that theres a Port Scanning Attack on my LAN IP address and thereafter keeps blocking port 137, 138, 139 and a few more required by Netbios.

The Solution: I've disable IDS to stop detecting Port Scanning Attacks on UDP and TCP and this works, but at what cost ? wouldn't it make my actual internet connection vulnerable to real attack from the internet ?

Please guys I see similar post going unanswered, Can't ESET be taught to simply ignore the Trusted Zone for everything unless told otherwise !!!

Many Thanks in Advance ...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
  2. bkisc

bkisc Registered Member

Finally Problem Solved, Add the network subnet in Zone and Rule setup, Address excluded from Active Protection (IDS) and then creating a rule which allows all communication from the LAN subnets. Ahh!! finally after almost 2 hours of head cranking :) But still the thing remains, a simple Trusted Zone and a check box "Do not interfere with this subnet" would have been better but anyway don't they say ESET is slightly complicated to configure

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It is the purpose of the firewall to detect attacks even within your network. If there's a problem with a device/application producing port scan attacks, its IP address can be excluded from IDS control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.