ESS Firewall - service/domain name rules (ex: Windows Update)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Tintinabule, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tintinabule

Tintinabule Registered Member

Hello all,
    I plan to switch from EAV to ESS on a Windows 7 (64b) home local network but a thing bothers me:

I know that the Windows Firewall service rules are not truly linked to services (set of rules, from what i read on the web ... beyond my knowledges) but as an exemple, my Windows Update rule with the Windows Firewall is :

• Outbound TCP:80, 443 for svchost.exe bound with Windows Update service, allowed.

Works fine and others services that uses svchost (netsvcs) like BITS are blocked (WAN).

In fine, is there a way to make the same thing with ESS (or another firewall) ?

Nota: As an alternative, i tried to add specific domain names like *windowsupdate.microsoft.com, *.update.microsoft.com ... in an ESS firewall rule but only IP seems to be permitted (as i understand).

Perhaps I'm on a wrong way, could you light my way ?

Sorry for my poor English, not my natural language !
    Have a nice day.

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

3. Tintinabule

Thank you for the reply,

I probably have not been explicit enough.

Allow svchost.exe access to all remote servers means that all the services running from it will be able to connect to any server but, I wish only the Windows Update service to connect on dedicated servers.

At worst, a rule like: Allow svchost.exe outbound TCP to *.update.microsoft.com:80,443 (an IP rule isn't possible due to the turn-over, only domain name .. as far as i know) But there may be a better solution ;)

Good day to you !

4. stackz

stackz Registered Member

For Microsoft, I just created a Zone named Microsoft Corp, with Address range: 207.46.0.0 - 207.46.255.255 and use that Zone
    for any firewall application rules I create that need to connect to Microsoft.

5. Tintinabule

Hello,

I missed this functionnality !
    That will solve a part of the planned rules.

For the example of Windows Update, I don't like a lot this solution because IP can change from a day to another but it seems to be the better compromise.

Thanks to you for the replies, if no other ideas are posted in one or two days, I will put à [Solved] tag to the title of the thread.

Bye :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.