ESS brought my computer to a halt.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by WigglyTheGreat, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I have been trying to figure out what has happened to my laptop as once I try to boot into an account in Vista then it never completely loads to the desktop and the laptop gets very warm and the fan is going non stop indicating high cpu usage. Anyway it boots up into safe mode fine. The laptop is running Vista 32bit and is quite new with 3gb of ram and a core 2 duo processor. On a hunch I booted to safe mode and uninstalled ESS and the system booted into windows vista just fine again. I am not sure why this happened.

The laptop had been off for a few days and and when I booted up ESS just updated itself and I had a couple windows updates that I applied. Then on reboot the problem occurred and originally I thought it was windows updates that caused the problem so I restored my computer to before those updates, but it didn't help. So that is when I uninstalled ESS and the laptop booted up as normal. Any idea why this happened? Is it possibly a bad update? I will try to reinstall ESS later and see if the problem is still there.

2. nipstech

nipstech Registered Member

I've been having a similar problem with a Dell laptop running XP SP3. I have a post on the forum regarding this issue...The system just grinds to a halt with ekrn.exe consuming 97% of the CPU. I uninstalled ESET and the computer is now performing great. I have a perimeter firewall in place so I'm not too worried about running without a firewall, but I won't be recommending this product to my clients until this issue is resolved. I hope someone from ESET is monitoring the forums.

3. WigglyTheGreat

I am still sure what the problem was, but uninstalling ESS fixed it. I couldn't tell you what my cpu usage was b/c it would never loaded completely to the desktop. After twenty minutes of trying to get there it finally loaded the sound icon in the system tray but still I couldn't open anything. I had another issue on my laptop later on so I got annoyed and just re-imaged the whole darn thing to a happier place in time. I have now put ESS back on the laptop and it is working fine so far so who knows what the issue was.

4. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Don't have a solution, but have had an Acer laptop for a little over a year. When ESS first came out, installed it on both the laptop and desktop. Running XP home edition and laptop and XP Pro on desktop. Have never had a moments problems on either, and both have been updated as they occur. Also running SP3 on both machines. Just commenting.

5. WigglyTheGreat

Yeah I have been running ESS since the get go even when it was originally in beta on a couple computers and for the most part I have been quite happy so I can't complain too much.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just out of curiosity, does setting the real-time protection to scan only files with default extensions (ie. files that can potentially carry malicious code) make a difference?

7. WigglyTheGreat

Sorry Marcos I can't test this as I Restored a backup image of my computer that is just after a fresh windows Vista install. I put ESS back on it and it is running without issues right now.

8. WigglyTheGreat

Alright now I am a bit saddened :'( to say that ESS has an issue on my Desktop computer which has Windows XP now which caused pausing and the CPU usage of ekrn.exe to be pegged at 100%. I installed the latest version of ESS updated it and the problem remained. I found that shutting the firewall portion of ESS off stopped the issue. I feel the issue come after some wacky ESS updates b/c the computers would be running great for a long time then after certain updates these issues arose.

I really don't have time to deal with this right now so I uninstalled ESS and just put Nod32 version 2.7 back on which was I really loved compared to version 3. I may try ESS again on my winxp desktop if they put out a new build or something.

On a positive note: ESS seems to be running ok right now on my laptop with vista so I keep my fingers crossed that it continues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.