ESS Beta 1a will not install

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by EnGenie, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I have been running ESS beta 1 since it was released with very few problems.

Today I uninstalled beta 1 and tried to install beta 1a.

During the installation the computer crashed with a Blue Screen.

As there was no entry in the list of unistalled programs, I had to manually uninstall it and clean out the relevent Registry entries.

I also had to uninstall and then re-install my network driver because the Eset Personal Firewall drivers were attached to the driver stack.

The network connection and Internet access are now working again.

After re-booting I tried to re-install ESS beta 1a but the installation failed at the end just after "installing drivers". Windows Installer rolled back the changes.

Following recommendations from another thread on the Forum, I also tried re-installing it with the network cable disconnected, but the result was the same.

I have attached the installer log file (split into 2 parts).

If anyone has any idea why the installation failed or any suggestions on how to re-install it I would be very grateful.

I am running on XP Pro SP2 (fully patched).

Attached Files:

2. Klitetools

Klitetools Registered Member

Did you try and delete(temp files also) your current install file and download a fresh new install file?

3. EnGenie

Yes I deleted all known Eset files:

C:\Program Files\Eset
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Eset
    and the epfw*.sys drivers.

I did download a fresh copy from eset.com.

I also used System Restore to roll back to a time before installation of ESS, but this did not help either.

As there are not many reports of failed ESS beta 1a installations, I guess that the BSOD during the 1st installation of ESS beta 1a left something nasty behind that I have missed in my attempt to manually uninstall things.

Alternatively the uninstallation of ESS beta 1 may not have removed everything it should.

I have no other firewall, anti-spam or anti-virus products installed.

The answer must be in the installation log files somewhere....................

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  4. Klitetools

Klitetools Registered Member

well system restore may have helped complicate things there.

why don't you do a search for anything ESS/nod related and regkeys also (be sure to backup your registry before you make any changes).

then disable your system restore and try one more time.

the install problem we were having with beta 1 not 1a as far as around here, I myself had it, and downloading a fresh copy did it, but if you don't clear your browsers temp folders then your fresh install is not fresh its the old one from your temp file.

I'm not sure what else it could be I'm no expert on it myself just some ideas.

I had to uninstall and finally bring in a fresh install from another pc to get it to work but since its been great, and be sure to reboot after each uninstall.

5. EnGenie

I've been through the Registry in detail and removed anything connected with Eset and also the hard disk.

I've also removed temp files and downloaded a fresh copy on my other PC and copied it to the test PC.

Unfortunately the installation fails right at the end in the same place.

Hopefully someone from Eset will look at the log files and figure out what the problem is.

6. TJP

TJP Registered Member

Hi,

I've also have major issues installing ESS. The exact same issue as the OP whereby the installation is failing at the "installing drivers" stage. Operating system in XP Pro with SP2, fully patched.

I've run RegSeeker and deleted everything Eset/Nod32/ESS from the registry.

Please note there are 6 entries (from memory) that I can't remove in safe mode, but I'm certain they are legacy entries from Nod32. Further, I'd deleted all Eset file folders from my pc.

I'd installed the original beta & it worked flawlessly :thumb: then removed it after beta 1a was released. Tried to install the new beta without success.

Now back using Nod32 2.70.37, which is no hardship :D, however I'd like to be part of the beta testing.

Guess I'll wait for beta 2 or the commercial release version :)

7. EnGenie

The entries that you refer to are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_***
    where *** is the name of the driver.

The only way to remove these type of entries is to change the access permissions to give yourself full access (or delete) rights on this key and all subkeys. You will then be able to delete them.

However, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether you remove them or not.

8. TJP

TJP Registered Member

Found a way to install the trial...I just restored my back-up ghost image :D

Not the most convienant work-around, but I blow everything away every 10-12 months anyway.

ESS installed without a hitch..so it must be an issue within the registery or file folder someware o_O

Hope you manage to get ESS to install!

9. Sergio2k

Sergio2k Registered Member

+1. I got the same problem. Any advice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.