ESS 672 Blocking Usage Meter

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by K1LL3M, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K1LL3M

    K1LL3M Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Posts:
    35
    An update sometime in the last ~3weeks I believe, has caused ESS to block usage meters from accessing ISP internet usage information.

    I use both a side bar gadget and a Firefox plugin, neither of which display the information.

    On 2 separate computer without ESS the information is displayed correctly, on 2 other computers owned by family/friends with same ESS version, one with the same ISP one with a different ISP, the same problem exists, no usage information.

    All computers are using version 672
    All computers are on "interactive mode"
    All computers were working fine and have not had changes made other than ESS updates.
    2 computers are on vista64, 2 computers on xp pro (1 on sp2 & 1 on sp3)

    ESS is the only common denominator; I have not tried removing ESS because I do not want uninstall ESS as all rules are setup and everyone knows what is allow and not allowed, should they get a pop up.
     
  2. Marcos

    Marcos Eset Staff Account

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Posts:
    14,374
    Have you tried disabling the firewall and web protection to see if the problem disappears? Could you please provide step-by-step instructions as how to replicate the problem? I, for one, don't have a clue what you exactly mean by "usage meters".
     
  3. K1LL3M

    K1LL3M Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Posts:
    35
    Thanks for the assistance Marcos.

    Usage items are a way for us to monitor monthly download quota usage; see Firefox plugin here http://netusage.iau5.com/ for details

    I have tried disabling ESS protection through the menu but the problem remains.

    I bit the bullet and uninstalled then reinstalled ESS on my own machine from the original 672 download. As soon as I did this the information was displayed. I performed the update and it was no longer shown (basically it comes up as if unable to connect)

    It certainly points at ESS, but is strange behaviour. Any suggestings, I am willing to help trouble shoot this any way I can (Short of reinstalling windows (again))
     
  4. K1LL3M

    K1LL3M Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Posts:
    35
    I dont know what you guys did, but the latest eset update has fixed this issue
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.