ESS 5 Beta - windows update error 80072F78

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by pbmcmlxxi, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

To add to the weirdness listed here, I am encountering the same problems with my home computer downloading direct from Microsoft. The solution suggested above resolves the problem.

It seems to be related to the latest patches that were released only. I was able to download/install the latest MRT and some other patches without issue.

Meanwhile, my office computer that connects to a WSUS server (still does http traffic on the standard port) works without issue. I was able to apply all the updates.

2. jasonblake7

jasonblake7 Registered Member

reporting the same with AV beta 5. 4.2 works fine.

3. cool1007

cool1007 Registered Member

I am confirming the same problem. The solution given, worked. This does not happened with v 4.2.

4. OAKside

OAKside Registered Member

Thanks, Bigcatjosh! Your solution worked, as others are also stating. I think I remember something like this (Windows Updates failing due to ESS) happening in ESS 3.0, perhaps the beta. Hmm...

5. radial5

radial5 Registered Member

I was running NOD32 V5 and had the same problem on two machines(Win7 Home Premium x64) - disabling "application protocol content filtering" fixed the problem.

Has anyone tried to add explorer.exe to the excluded application list in protocol content filtering to see whether it also works? - just tried this on a third machine - it did not work but worked as per the method above.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

I have no problems :)

7. JeremyW

JeremyW Registered Member

Bit late to respond probably but, confirmed, does not occur with 4.2.

8. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Same thing happened to me and I didn't imagine it could be ESS 5 Beta causing this problem so I formatted my PC and installed ESS 5 and did all the updates just fine.

So there seems to be an issue here. On a clean install, it worked fine, but previously, where I have uninstalled ESS 4 and installed the new beta after restarting , Windows would not update

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Has this issue been fixed yet?

10. tisazalay

tisazalay Registered Member

I had the same issue (W7 64b SP1), updates stopped half way (around 45%), I managed to install them by directly downloading each of the three problematic updates (KB....), but on reboot the machine took an awful long time to apply them (thanks god they seemed to apply fine) 'cause I didn't knew the protocol unticking workaround.
    What's weird is that there were more than three updates available last Tuesday, and a couple of them installed right away, the others installed with a manual download... so I guess the protocol filtering obstructs the download (not the detection) from the windows update but not from the direct download.
    tisazalay

11. paul0363

paul0363 Registered Member

Same here on two PCs. Uninstalled ESS V4.2.71 and installed ESS 5 beta. Windows updates stop downloading at about 35% and then error 80072F78 is produced. I had to completely uninstall V5 beta to get Windows Update to work (before I came to this thread!).

Manually downloading the updates works. The "fix" above also works.

I can confirm that all updates were working on both machines with ESS V4.2.71 installed. The problem only exists with ESS V5 beta.

12. JeremyW

JeremyW Registered Member

Same issue this morning:

Win 7 Pro x64, Update KB2541014: 'Failed'

Disabled application protocol content filtering - update installed fine. Re-enabled application protocol content filtering.

13. Farmand

Farmand Registered Member

Same problem here.. Not fixed yet. using v5, had no problem with 4.2

14. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Today I didn't have any problems, in contrast to the last time, with the update KB2541014 (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 Dutch).

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The issue with Windows updates has been nailed down and will be eventually fixed in the next build of the Internet protection module (1017).

16. jasonblake7

jasonblake7 Registered Member

Thanks Marcos :)

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We've just released the Internet protection module 1018 which addresses the issues with Win7 updates.

18. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

I will need to wait till patch Tuesday 1st week in July to test it! :D

Please do not break it in meantime! :D

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Sorry but patch Tuesday is the second Tuesday of the month so you will have to wait until July 12 which is over 3 weeks away. Good to see it has been addressed even if we can't test.

20. Temp Member

OK what does it matter I got week wrong, I still cannot test for now till then!:rolleyes:

21. xxJackxx

Wasn't really trying to pick on you, just pointing out that we won't know for a good long while if this works.

22. Temp Member

:thumb:

P.S, Are you volunteering to remove some of your updates to test it all works now? :p

23. xxJackxx

Actually I may be able to do that on a Virtual Machine if you give me a day or 2.

24. xxJackxx

Created new Virtual Machine with Windows 7 32 bit SP1. No Windows updates installed. Downloaded and installed ESS 5 Release Candidate. Updated to get latest modules. Installed ALL Windows Updates. No issues. :thumb:

Edit:
    After reading back through this thread I see most people are specifying 64 bit. I tested with 32 bit as I needed to install it anyway for other testing. Were people having this issue with 32 bit also, or was this exclusively a 64 bit issue?

25. Temp Member

Hmm cannot comment as only use 64bit and the past WU problems on v4.2 due to ESET's new modules effected Vista 64 and Win 7 64 for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.