ESS 3.0 Final Released!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by poepoe2797, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

:thumb:

2. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

On the 'SOAP Box'

Apart from any niggles about the products - functionality / GUI / bugs - fixed or not fixed, this is the thing that really niggles me about the way Eset have 'managed' this process. We've been here for months 'experimenting' with these Beta's, accepting the inevitable problems / crashes / inadequacies of 'pre-release' software, providing feedback...and Eset's responsiveness to that has been poor all the way through that process. It took someone at Beta Support around two weeks to respond at all to my last communication with them.

Even now, we're right on top of the final release, reading all the inevitable, 'carefully constructed' marketing hype on the Eset websites, and can they answer a simple question about the perceived 'gap' in the licence dates - No. Do they let us have a preview release as Beta testers - No. Reason - they are under too much pressure, they MUST release these products now for commercial / business reasons, whether the product is truly finished or not. They don't NEED any more feedback / moans at this stage - too late for that! That's my highly cynical take on it anyway - I have been in the industry a while, and I have seen the symptoms before.

So, as far as this forum and the Beta 'program' is concerned, make your mind up:

1) They never took this seriously anyway? Just thought they'd give it to a few people to play with 'in case anything useful' came out of it...?

2) They simply haven't got the time to worry about 'keeping us happy'...? - 'Business is Business'.

Visibly competing with the competition at this stage is crucial. Eset can no longer afford NOT to have a competitive, functional product, but they are inexperienced in that process and indeed, managing it. I hope for their sakes, that they haven't shot themselves in the foot...

Too late for me though, I've been a loyal NOD32 user for years - but no longer. Contrary to what many seem to believe, there are other products out there that are well designed, do not hog machine resource and provide excellent protection.

Take it easy... JeremyWW has left the building... :)

3. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I have to say that I agree totally with the previous post. But that's not to say I won't be using/buying ESS when it's officially released on Monday. However, I suppose an official announcement by Eset to the 'beta testers' wouldn't go amiss even if it's to say thank you. I'm not sure how many bug reports/comments were sent to Eset over the testing period but I can understand sometimes it's very difficult to reply to all emails sent in due to staffing resources. That's not to say though that slow responses or none at all can make ppl feel that they aren't appreciated.

Release notes/bug fixes on the upcoming final release would be nice to know so that all our efforts aren't in vane. The beta download page now simply states that the final release is imminent and beta downloads are no longer available - that's it, that's all we get.

Again, as previously mentioned, I hope the current beta username/password allows updates to continue to Monday at the earliest until such a time as a proper license can be purchased.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Re: On the 'SOAP Box'

Just a few comments from another long time NOD32 user:
    • Ending the active lifetime of the beta release candidate a few days prior to full commercial release of the product is (IMHO) stupid, plain and simple. There are no other words for it. I could go into details, but they should be obvious to anyone.
    • The lines of communication between Eset and their customer base needs work from Eset's end. They are bad and they've always been bad. The resellers do admirable service to fill the gap, but the gap shouldn't be there. The problem is not unique to Eset, but that simply means that they could use it to obtain market advantage if they got a clue.
    • The final product seems quite solid. Sure, there are some issues and there always will be. It may be in the lack of a desired feature, it may be in a residual bug. All products have deficiencies relative to the (unique) ideal that each of us would desire.
    • I'll trial the final released version before deciding whether to stay with Eset or not. It's not a given that I'll renew, and if I do, that I'd upgrade (although that would be the likely path). There are a few things that are must have for me this time around, and if they are not implemented in the final version, it will be time to look elsewhere.
    Blue

5. pmi

pmi Registered Member

I can confirm that the issue I reported in
    Code:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185049
    , problems with exclusions, the issue is still there. I even managed to crash the system after adding a non-existent drive letter. Exclusions are not working for subfolders and there is no hint on how to exlude the subfolders. You can only exclude files. This option exists in v2.7 and is working very well.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Very good post. As weird as I may seem, I have done quite a few betas, and the one thing they all held in common was a thanks to those who participated. It may have been said, in various ways or means, but it was genuine. From Mike Nash, to Notok, to Smustca, it was at least presented as a thanks to the person. That has always been my thorn with Eset, it isnt the product it was the apperance of arrogance based on how well the product has performed. It doesnt matter how well a product performs if the vendor and customer do not find some way of bonding, because without it, the wallet never gets pulled out. And that is where it all starts.Now having said that, this doesnt mean that Eset doesnt have the intention of doing all of the above, but time will tell.

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

LOL - us "resellers" often get our first inkling of a change is when we read it on the website then here - rapidly followed by a "WTH did you change and not tell us" kind of phone call to our contacts inside Eset - who often have about as much information OR LESS than us... I call it mushroom farming... keeping everyone in the dark and providing liberal sprinklings of manure from upon high... it is a VERY common management "technique" employed in business...

8. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

I just wonder how many English language speakers they have in their development team. Shortage of translator capable personnel just may be the answer?

9. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, we really owe a great deal of thanks to everyone who made a serious effort to test our new products and provide us with valuable feedback. There were several mistakes made on ESET's part with regard to how frequently we communicated with you, and we wish to apologize for that.

I would like to assure you that ESET attaches great importance to all feedback sent from betatesters all around the world. We have received dozens of bug reports made directly via the support form integrated in the program, and many more through other channels including the Wilders’ forum. ESET Smart Security is being worked out on day and night by a small army of developers adding new features and fixing the bugs reported by testers. Many of the ESET’s employees burn midnight oil in order to deliver you a best-of-the-breed product.

You have given us great and, at times, an overwhelming amount of feedback and while we may not have been able to respond to every message, we have been reading and discussing them.

We will do our best to provide status updates regularly. Over the next few days we are going to be very busy with the release process, so please understand if we do not respond immediately.

On behalf of ESET, its distributors, partners and customers, thank you all very much for the great feedback you have provided here in the forum. Without it, ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus would not be the solid programs that they are today.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Good post, good man, good company.:thumb:

12. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Many thanks Marcos for those kind words. It certainly means a lot to me as I hope it does to others who have tested the products. I look forward to purchasing my license for ESS when available.

13. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

Marcos - Thank you.

14. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Marcos, you saved the day :)-))

Thanks

Ruben

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It was expected , but yes , really good ... and thanks Marcos , Mayth , GhostMan , AGoretsky and all ESET staff :thumb:

16. poepoe2797

poepoe2797 Registered Member

New version out as of 10/31/07 ... 3.0.557.0. Per request from the mods here, I will not post or PM information on how to obtain it. Thank you.

Attached Files:

• ess.jpg
      ess.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  17. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Excellent post, Marcos! Not only do I have the faith in you, your co-workers, and the company, but after trying the betas out and making a few posts myself, have already pre-ordered ESS as of 10-29-07. Know that if there are still bugs left, they will be corrected. However, on my XP Pro AND XP Home, the program has been functioning as it should. And that includes the firewall, running it stand alone. It can only get BETTER! ;)

18. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

poepoe2797

Wowwww, update module,antivirus e antispywares scan e personal firewall fix minor bugs?

Passed PCFlack leaktest?

Thanks,
    Fábio

19. poepoe2797

poepoe2797 Registered Member

It failed the PCFlank Leaktest ... I had it automatic filtering mode.

20. nodyforever

Greats by his information.

Did he want to know if it will not be possible that you could send to me this version?

Thanks,
    Fábio

21. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

great post by marcos thank you

22. OAKside

OAKside Registered Member

This looks the the "Thanks" topic, so let me just say Thanks as well, to everyone as Eset working their arses off.
    Including all the devs, Marcos and co., everyone! Will happily be purchasing ESS ASAP. :)

23. nodyforever

The icon of the ESS exceeds the limte of pixel in the context of the menu:

Some suggestion?

Thanks.
    Fábio

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  24. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

It's not on one of ESETS U*.Servers is it? :ninja:

25. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Other 'final' versions are also floating around the web. I think I can wait until Monday for the correct final version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.