ESS 3.0 exited some time during the night

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by salo99, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salo99

salo99 Registered Member

Hello, I woke up this morning to find that ESS was not running and I did not shut it down. Did someone shut it down remotely in order to inspect/use my computer? What can I do about this? Thanks.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What do you mean by "wasn't running" . Are you sure the ESET service was stopped and ekrn.exe wasn't running ? Or it was just the icon missing ?

You can do nothing about it because it happened in the past .Make sure ESS is now started.

3. salo99

salo99 Registered Member

All I saw was that the icon was missing. Should have checked but just started it up right away. I know it wasn't fully operational since I had tried to connect to a radio station and was apparently blocked by the ESET firewall but I didn't get the window prompting me whether to allow the connection (that's when I noticed the icon missing). Can you tell from that (firewall blocked connection but no popup window) what was shut down? Thanks.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Relax . The icon missing doesn't mean the program is not working . And since the connection you have attempted to made was blocked , this means the program has been working.
    With ESET software , you have two processes - the user interface (egui.exe) representing the icon and the kernel (ekrn.exe) - the one that actually protects and does the job.

If the icon is missing , egui.exe might be closed but the kernel can still be working . You see pop-up if a connection should be allowed/blocked but the kernel will keep it blocked until you take the decision (in Interactive mode) . No egui.exe , the connection will remain blocked if no rule represents otherwise.

Although it should be checked further if ekrn.exe remains active (can be done via Task Manager) , generally only missing icon will mean you haven't updated your video card drivers . This problem (the missing icon of EAV/ESS) can be resolved by updating your drivers . You can visit Windows Update and download all updates + the Hardware updates or visit the vendor's web-site and update the video card drivers to the very latest.

5. salo99

salo99 Registered Member

Thanks HTB, much appreciated :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.