ESET, We need an upgrade. Please!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Vicky1, Dec 4, 2007.

?

Are you happy with NOD32 v3 performance?

1. Yes, fully happy!

44 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Somewhat happy!

48 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. No, I am not happy. I am either downgrading to 2.7 or installing some other AV

126 vote(s)
    52.9%
  4. Its OK for me, I am neutral.

20 vote(s)
    8.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Those temp fixes are for cmdagent and system slowdown when files are being submitted for analysis not for ekrn.exe taking up 100% cpu when I open the advanced menu in NOD.

2. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Maybe more would be happy if version 3 actually worked ok. It doesnt ! and eset have admitted this themselves to me. They obviously didnt spend much time testing it , if at all, within 5 minutes i discovered the Outlook Express "bing" bug and account/reciept bugs(which still exists) and notified eset who replied and told me "they knew of these issues and that they would be fixed soon". Plus i installed V.3 on a clean install Xp Pro sys with nothing on it to conflict. Version 3 has problems and many. Hopefully soon they will be addressed and we'll see more positive posts.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  3. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Indeed it does. I have to wait an extra 20 minutes exactly for Vista to logoff now, during which time the hard drive on the workstation and server is doing nothing whatsoever. No errors appear in the Event Viewer either!

4. poutine

I have to agree ,the latest comodo firewall has a lot of problems itself.

http://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports-b106.0/

Seems its open season for shi**y releases. :D

5. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hey Guys,

Long time no post here.

About V3...

I've seen the application, I've used the application and tested it...

So far running on XP Sp2 on a Celeron 900mhz with 528mb of ram.

- Boot process not slow or very minor in some cases
    - Memory usage at boot up is over 40mb for the ekr.exe and it's taking about 90% of the CPU for about 15secs for it's update check
    - When multiple programs are open at times the resident scanner seems to slow down some application performance and in some instance creating an END TASK window

- Before anyone tells me its something on my computer, consider this:
    - Fresh install
    - No Firewall
    - Most of the windows services are disabled also
    - Only the AV and the Windows Patches

- Think I'm crazy?
    - Now take the above it put this on a Dual Core 2m 2gigs of ram running WinXP Sp2 32 and 64.
    - Same symptons applys.
    - It's not system related. But there is something going on.

Cheers,
    fluxgfx.com

6. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Well I retract my last statement. NOD32 3.0 was not giving me any problems. I had one problem weeks ago that my games wouldn't launch. WOW,COD2,COD4,C&C3 all stopped working. I disabled Online Armor firewall and the games still didnt launch. I then disabled NOD32 3.0 and the games all worked. I kept OA disabled and re enabled NOD32 3.0. Then rebooted. Games still wouldnt launch. I unistalled NOD32 3.0 and re enabled Online Armor and all games worked. So I deleted all left over Eest files and cleaned the registry. Downloaded and reinstalled NOD32 2.7. So like the other poster said..........whats with companies releasing new versions of there products(NOD32 & Comodo) without proper testing. Atleast half of NOD32 users and Comodo users are reverting back to previous versions.

7. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Yes, I'm using an onilne translator.

No problem. :)

I agree with you with everything

8. Draz

Draz Registered Member

Yes that is exactly what is happening here. I went back to V2.7 and all works perfectly now.

Draz

9. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

I have followed the questions and debates as a "casual poster and lurker". When v3 was release as non-beta I upgraded V2.7 to V3 and ended up having to do a complete reformat. I then tried v3 on a totally fresh system (XP Pro, fully patched) but still it seems to hang, so now I am back on v2.7 where I shall stay until I see a steady stream of positive comments about it.

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Hard to believe you had to reformat. I uninstall and reinstall programs all the time. I must have installed and reinstalled around 20 apps in the past month or so and never had any problems.You should always make a system checkpoint in system restore before installing anything.

11. bitbizket

bitbizket Registered Member

I came upon the same issues here as many would. These does not happens on version 2.7.

1. Slow loading of web pages & downloading files.

This also happens if i did a fine tune of version 2.7 for having and advanced heuristic checked. Does this also related to the web scanner of version 3.0.

For slow loading of webpages what i did is exclude jpeg, jpg anf gif's from being scanned under Web Access Protection's Extensions. Managing this does some improvement.

2. With some web pages connection reset intermittently.

3. Slowing down on shutdown.

On "Real Time File System Protection" uncheck the box "At computer Shutdown" did the trick.

4. Failed to update database automatically.
    Doing manual update several attempts did load the updates.

I do believe there are some compatibility issues here with version 3.0 as 2.7 does not have any problem on my machine. Currently running on XP Pro with a latest NOD32 AntiVirus 3.0.566.0 retail version.

12. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Strange, I have had hardly any problems with v3. NOD v3 IS exepnsive compared to it's opposition - some may say it's not much comprared to the damage of a virus.

13. poutine

just got lucky i guess. ;) Vista Or XP ?

14. techtype

techtype Registered Member

1 and 2 above are the problems that forced me back to version 2.7. I've used 2.7 for about two years now with no real problems except it does not catch everything bad that's out there.

15. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

For me NOD 32 v3 runs very well on Vista 64-bit too. :cool:

16. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I am not as negative toward v3 as many here. NOD v3 tackles many of the long time issues that many "wanna be" NOD users have always complained about such as the somewhat complex user interface in v2.x and previous versions. Certainly v3 has its bugs and issues with the worst one IMO being the compatibility problem due to the proxy web scan issue that has shown to cause conflicts with many alternative software firewalls. However I can see the positive potential of v3 if these issues are dealt with in the next v3 releases.

I think NOD AV v3 was designed along with ESS to complement the Windows Vista OS and if I was running Vista machines it might be a better choice. Obviously PC users have been very hesitant and slow to adopt Vista. Since most PC users still plan to use WinXP SP2 for as long as they can into the future I think that v2.7 will need to be supported by ESET for as long as possible (preferably for at least three years or more).

I know that v2.7 was recently rated by AV comparatives as one of the top AVs in the latest tests so for now I don't have any problem with continuing to use the older version. It would be great if there was some continuation of limited development of v2.7 ( if necessary perhaps a v2.8 ) to keep it's security components up to date.

Another solution would be for ESET to provide an updated v3 with better options that allow for the newer v3 interface but provide an alternative to the proxy scanning for better alternative software FW compatibility that still provides adequate web and email scanning protection like IMON did in v2.7. Until changes or updates are made to v3 I will be forced to continue to use v2.7 on most of my Windows XP SP2 based systems that use an alternative software FW.

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Signatures are updated daily. Advanced heuristics and archive support are updated on a regular basis. I suppose that if serious bugs (DoS, privilege escalation, remote access, code execution) are found on 2.7, ESET will fix them.

18. SoCalReviews

The question is how long will support (signatures, advanced heuristics, etc.) for v2.7 continue? I use eight NOD licenses on WinXP SP2 based machines that also use alternative advanced software FWs. I plan on keeping those machines running with updated security software for at least five years or longer. As long as ESET says that they will provide long time support for v2.7 I will continue to renew those subscriptions. It would be great to know right now exactly how long ESET plans on providing support for v2.7. I have read on these boards that it will be supported for at least two years. Unless compatibility improvements regarding the FW issues I described are made in future releases of v3 then I would like to see v2.7 supported and updated for at least three years (four or even five more if possible).

Three, four, or five years of support seems like a long time but one of the big factors that originally helped me decide to use NOD for an AV solution was knowing ESET provided support for many OS's including the older ones such as DOS, Win98, etc.. This is contrary to the now common practice that many other AV companies make as they force you into their annual upgrade "beta testing" program by dropping support for previous versions only a few years after their release. When I switched to NOD I decided I would never go back to using an AV where the company cornered me into that type of forced upgrade situation every few years.

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, v2 will be supported for a long time (I don't know how long) because of legacy OSes (Win 9x/ME/NT)
    Since you're running XP, in two years v3 should be very mature, don't you think? ;)

20. Togg

Togg Registered Member

NOD32 V.3 and Comodo Firewall 3.0 are both working fine on my XP Home computer and have done since I upgraded.

Obviously, there must be something about my computer configuration or the settings I'm using.

If I suddenly get blitzed with viruses, worms and trojans, I'll know it's the settings!!

21. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

Well, that didn't quite go to plan. V3.0 doesn't support XMON for Exchange. The GUI crashed badly on the Server. Turns out I have no upgrade path for the moment. Can't install V3 on SBS2003 without XMON and therefore can't easily maintain a V3 mirror on the Server. AntiVirus upgrade project shelved and all test machines reverted back to 2.7. Next year maybe...

22. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Update post :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  23. SoCalReviews

I don't know how ESET is going to solve the proxy scan issue in v3 that is causing the FW compatiblity problems without doing a major rewrite for a future v3 release. Who knows? Maybe they will and we will see a v3 in the next two years with improved alternative software FW compatibility. If they do this then obviously I would not have to use a v2.7 that currently works perfectly with the other security software on my Windows XP SP2 systems. Maybe by that time I will have joined the MS Vista "service pack upgrade program" and none of this will matter anyway.

24. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

A slight change of plan is working fine now. ERA is used to maintain a V3 mirror from which V3 clients are updating fine. A 2.7 admin version of Nod32 on the same server is successfully controlling a 2.7 Mirror for clients waiting to be upgraded. The Server upgrade is not possible until XMON 3 is released next year.

I've had no issues with any client installs.

25. poutine

Polls going just as i thought. ;) Am i happy that it is ? not at all. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.