ESET, We need an upgrade. Please!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Vicky1, Dec 4, 2007.

?

Are you happy with NOD32 v3 performance?

1. Yes, fully happy!

44 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Somewhat happy!

48 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. No, I am not happy. I am either downgrading to 2.7 or installing some other AV

126 vote(s)
    52.9%
  4. Its OK for me, I am neutral.

20 vote(s)
    8.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Some of the bugs.. esp in Outlook Express i checked on a fresh installed Xp Pro sys, with no extras and it crashed it, also there are bugs in sending reciepts and account details missing in sent items list. After sending my findings to Eset , they confirmed these bugs and are working on them, other bugs though may well be configuration related. ;)

2. Sir George

Sir George Registered Member

Thanks for your post! I thought maybe it was just me, but it certainly doesn't make any sense.

3. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

I wish ESET could tell us what they're up to. Really I do.

- Sometimes I get NOD32 V3 just sitting there at the logo screen for two or three minutes, it happens quite rarely but it still happens.

- There are still networking / internet slow downs where downloading files / copying files over the network takes far longer than under version 2.7

- I still get "connection reset" when browsing web site, it's intermittened but it still happens.

What fixes are you working on ESET? Thanks.

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

nodyforever is obviously using an online translator to reply here. I get the jist of his posts as i'm used to reading and listening to people who struggle with the english language but i can see where others could have a problem. He is certainly making an effort here though imo.

snowbound

5. spamyou

spamyou Registered Member

I just tried nod version 3 again (AV only not security suite), most recent version 3.0.566.0, they have made some improvements since my last trial.

Regarding the 2 second shutdown delay of outlook express.
    It seems to be caused by the ugly stupid useless toobar that is installed, and is closed first then outlook express is closed. I unchecked the box that says email client integration under misc., which got rid of that toolbar, and also took care of the shutdown delay. I hope by unchecking that integration box I did not disable email virus scanning. I set nod to tag all scanned email, and sent myself a test message and it still tagged it (unless thats a bug). Can anyone confirm for sure that by unchecking that integration box I only delete the stupid toolbar which hangs express shutdown, and I did not actually interfere with email scanning?

Also, the latest version is no longer changing my reboot time, ~62 seconds with nod2.7 and same with nod3.0 (I always disable all scanning on startup, it can do its scanning at 3am when i am not using it).

nod 3.0 still has an ugly icon, but I guess thats an opinion, not a bug.

6. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

No slow start-up, no slow down. No freeze. Very fast.
    Therefore... fully happy.

7. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Personally, I am not happy with V3.0.

I cannot update the signature database automatically. :thumbd:

I have not encountered this problem with V2.5, V2.7 & other anti-virus software.

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Couple of annoyances.

Whenever I open the advanced menu ekrn.exe takes up 100% CPU for around 8 seconds-everytime.

Whenever I purge the list in Comodo Firewalls Defense + 'My Pending Files' list ekrn.exe again hits 100% CPU for around 8 seconds. I stuck Comodo's program files folder in NOD's exclusion list but this has made no difference.

My lack of understanding about this proxy thing, what it exactly means in relation to me using Comodo firewall V3 safely. I realise this may be difficult to explain to average user's but reading the 4 page thread on it causes me some concern. Whether that concern is well placed or not I don't know.

XP Home
    AMD 4000+
    2 Gig of RAM.

9. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Do you have a firewall stopping it?. I had no problems with 2.7 and no current problems with 3.0 It updates every hour and new files come out sometimes 3 times a day.

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Why are you blaming NOD32. Why not blame Comodo. There are temp fixes in Comodo forums for CPU problems and other problems.

11. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

The poll results suggest that there may be a problem. I am behind a router and I use the Windows XP built-in firewall. I never place much stock in software firewalls but if you don't have a router, okay. I mostly use Gmail, so no problem with spam. I am just wondering if the new software firewall in Nod32 is more light weight than the XP firewall?

I was listening to Leo Laporte last week and he seems to be taking a wait-and-see approach to this new all-in-one version. Just to be clear, Leo Laporte is still recommending Nod32.

12. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

The version 2.5 & 2.7 no interface differently soon there are fewer chances of provoking mistakes.

The version 2.7 & 3.0 big interface updating soon there is a bigger probability of producing bugs you do not intend in the program as soon as the version 3.0 was built again.

13. TurnLeft

TurnLeft Registered Member

I'd have to agree and say just look at the poll. I have 4GB's ram on a Vista Ultimate laptop and have been back to 2.7 due to over 50% CPU usage with ekrn.exe on V3, V2.7 only 3%. This is with multiple tabs open in IE7 on a clean install. I'd say it's either a bug or not worth using the way it is.

14. poutine

LMAO.. Did we really need a poll to show that version 3 is all screwy ? i would of thought that the 100's of p*ssed off people posting here might of been a slight indicator :D

15. swami

swami Registered Member

Nodyforever, please try to make the sentences yourself. The auto translators just don't make sense.

16. poutine

17. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

sorry :( I'm quitting on writting here and I'll create a portuguese forum about ESET

:D :D :D :D :D :cool:

Best Regards,

bye nodyforever

18. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

I think a poll is somewhat helpful. I don't have time to go around reading all the different postings on this forum regarding this issue. I suggest that they take this thread and Stick it. Anyway, the idea to Stick the thread is up to the administrator and moderators. I trust they will make the right decision.

19. swami

swami Registered Member

Nodyforever, sorry. That wasn't my intention. Anyway, i think you made the last sentence yourself this time.
    Mr. Putin, don't believe everything. There one in Russia talking enough bs.

20. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Your always better off with stand alone s. I am using NOD32 3.0 and Online Armor. They work good together.

21. smith2006

Thanks for the reply.

It has nothing to do with firewall as I have tried running EAV V3.0 as the only security application on my PC (Yes, I have removed all other security softwares - my firewall, antispyware, HIPS etc).

Yet, the automatic updating still doesn't work. :mad:

Even the manual updating will need seven or eight attempts before it is successful (always the error "Unidentified Server Response").

By the way, this problem has been highlighted to ESET since RC 1 (no problem updating automaticallyr with V2.5, V2.7 & V3.0 Beta 2).

On 24th September, I wrote:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186425&highlight=unidentified server response

On 4th November, I wrote:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=190102

Beside that, I have also written to the Technical Support.

I have been exchanging email with the Technical Support (should have more than 10 email messages, the last email I sent was on 21 Nov 2007 & no reply so far) & I have even helped to supply them with the packet log (using wireshark) for their investigation.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  22. smith2006

See my reply to Vettetech, you will understand my frustration.

The strange thing is V3.0 Beta 2 was running fine but not the later version. o_O

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  23. smith2006

Don't worry, I can understand you perfectly. :D

24. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

100's? well only 94 have voted so far and of that 44.68% are not happy and doing there own thing, so that makes about 43 people have gone else where.

That to me would be about right for any AV in a snap poll.

25. Draz

Draz Registered Member

Hope you are not using Roaming Profiles and vista with your networks because version 3 stops them working,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.