eset version 8 has officially been released!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed, and one of the reason I am no longer using it.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i hope they do not change the gui and dumb it down with giant icons and stuff like that. imo the gui is one of the best there is just as it is.

and a note to marcos i have done what you asked and i still see the issues persist (turn off the setting and rested), any other ideas or suggestions?

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

As in, you've moved along to another AV product since the UI is too small as one or two users have reported even though ESET have promised they would give it priority as it's a known bug ?

ESET is basically a "set-and-forget" AV software. I rarely "look" at the UI. It's a fair and made point that will be fixed down the road.

I'm not being critical of you wanting something better if it was that much of an issue for you as a user.

4. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

Eset is alrdy working on a new UI.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi zfactor,
    as inquired in https://forum.eset.com/topic/3523-eset-8-slow-internet-connection/page-2, our engineers need to know what effect removing TcpAckFrequency value from the registry has on the issue if setting it to 2 didn't make any difference.
    If possible, please respond in our forum where you'll get best attention of ESET moderators.

6. xxJackxx

It was one of the reasons, not the only one. It is only an issue on my laptop. On my desktop I run standard size fonts as I have a larger screen. The firewall has also never been trouble free for me. I have been randomly getting the "Could not load firewall configuration" (or something similar to that) for years, along with ongoing network issues. I expect that everyone doesn't get these issues. When I take my laptop to work the firewall mostly works fine. At home I have the most issues with it. I set up both networks, so I am not sure why that is.Those combined with the fact that renewals are costing me triple what other products are, makes it hard to justify the expense, regardless of how good it is. I like the product and the staff, but I have to go with something that costs less and works with less issues (for me).

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

"priority"? And where exactly is the quote and the link for that?
    The only thing I am aware of about it, is the post by Aryeh on 20 June 2014 at https://forum.eset.com/topic/2640-nod32-and-ess-do-not-seem-to-scale-the-ui-wiht-high-dpi/?p=15421
    And furthermore I still think that ESET should make a better readable GUI for those with bad eyes.

8. siljaline

@ FanJ Yes, ESET will fix the issue when they get a chance to fix the issue. It's been confirmed and they will deliver, at some point. I'm not ESET so I can't speak for ESET. I have no timeline if that's what your asking. Larger bugs have gone for years without being fixed.

Your issue has it's own thread and probably should not be stuck in with these as it is unique.
    Open a new stand-alone thread at the NEW Forum, not this one, where ESET staff will attend to your issue. You have an account there as Wilders staff were the first to get asked to register there.

@ xxJackxx You know what to do if you want your concerns brought to ESET's attention although you've moved on to another AV Product for extenuating reasons.
    Reach out and let them know why you left - a thread on a board probably won't get noticed given the larger picture.

9. xxJackxx

I am aware and I have reported these issues. I have been renewing subscriptions with them since 2005 and I find myself using it for a month or 2 and then get frustrated and use something else. This cycle has been repeated since v5. I miss the v 2.x days. Or even v3. They are slooooow to release updated builds. I assume they are doing extensive testing, but when the issues I wish to see addressed aren't, it does me no good. I find myself rotating between ESET, Kaspersky, and Norton until the one I have installed give me problems, then I switch. It's at the point to where I am more concerned with the stability and usability of my machine than I care about actual protection.

10. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Im exactly like you bro....sigh....

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

They don't release new builds as often as other vendors(unless they have to), because in many cases they can fix the problem in one of the modules, then release a new module, and every user will get the new module and get it fixed automatically through the VSD update channel. There is no need to uninstall and reinstall the whole program for that.

I have had one issues fixed this year, and it was sorted after they fixed it and released a new module, no need for a new build release.

Have you reported your problem(s) to ESET ? Instead of switching between those 3 (and hope it'll be fixed next time you try it) report it to the vendor. Support is included in your license don't sit silent with your problem and hope that it will go away in some magic away. Come on xxJackxx you know how this works ;)

(Yes the GUI annoyance is not yet fixed but that has nothing to do with stability of the program, but they should be able to find the cause for your firewall error and fix that anyway.)

12. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

You all maybe know how it can go: when you like something, you can also getting out of your mind (or maybe call it ballistic) when things are not working as supposed to be. Maybe I am not using the right English expressions, but I guess you know what I mean.
    I could say some more, but let me only say that I don't know why my screenshots are not properly showing the real (very small and for me almost unreadable) size of the GUI. There is more that I wanted to comment on and say, but I refrain from it.

Seasons Greetings to all. Maybe we will meet again in 2015.
    Peace

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I know this doesn't fix the gui, but you can type magnifier in the Win 7 start button search bar and it will give you options

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

@xxJackxx

With what version did you have this firewall config error, with V8 or earlier versions ?

I ask because I remember I saw it ones or twice with V5, but haven't seen it again with any version after V5.

15. xxJackxx

Versions 5.x, 6.x, 7.x and 8.x. I thought it would go away when they started prompting for elevation to save settings, but it did not. It was less frequent, but still happened.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see, well I would let ESET know so you may finally get this solved, what ever it is that is causing it. :doubt:

17. siljaline

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

19. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I have not had issues with Eset in a long time. I miss the good ole days but times have changed. I agree on the pricing though with Jack though. My current license runs out in May of 2015. Will see what happens then.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Afaik both of you live in the U.S...and considering how often Newegg have nice license deals the price shouldn't be a big problem IMO. :D

21. xxJackxx

Like nice. I'm sure everyone's question will be when does the new UI come to the home versions?

22. Trooper

Yup.

23. Trooper

I will hit you up when the time comes lol.

24. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I hope not...I can't buy from Newegg. :D Sorry my fault, I only mentioned it since I thought that you lived in the U.S :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.