ESET v6.0.115.0 RC

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by anuraag, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Sounds great. Looking forward to checking out the new version.

2. BALTAGY

BALTAGY Registered Member

waiting final version :)

3. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

And why is that? I know some thinks requires time, but is Eset we are talking about and not a 5 person corporation with very limited resources.
    Ok, forget about that, I really will appreciate if anybody can clarify the above mentioned. :)

All the best. ;)

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Indeed, you'd think at least English will be released as one of the first.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Releasing a product is not just about developers coding it and testers testing it but there are many other aspects involved. The small gap between the releases will also allow for fixing potential issues that are always discovered after releasing a brand new product, no matter what software company it's made by.

6. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

Well, I think I understand, thanks for the answer. (It's does not mean that I share your policy, though :doubt: ).

All the best. :thumb:

7. encus

encus Registered Member

Still waiting patiently for its official release :)

8. Senhor_F

Senhor_F Registered Member

I'm pretty disappointed. Recently saw there was an RC for v6, so I uninstalled Kingsoft and jumped back on my license that is good til next year. The inclusion of an anti-theft feature is a headscratcher, to put it lightly.

Can we please leave the laptop anti-theft stuff to the lock makers and GPS people, and focus on the data theft with NOD32? Like someone else pointed out, why not take this opportunity to push out a new malware specific feature instead of this laptop theft thing?

I like ESET's combination of protection and low system impact, but this move makes zero sense to me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. Marcos

ESET Anti-Theft is a brand new feature useful mainly for owners of laptops. If one doesn't need it, they can keep it disabled. Including the feature in v6 has no effect on system resources.
    Keep in mind that significant changes are always done under the hood and are not visible to users. With incredible malware detection rate and the volume of false positives kept at the bare minimum (it was probably years ago when ESET had a serious FP last time), it remains one of the top performers among today's security products.

10. Senhor_F

Hi, Marcos.

I clearly understand what the anti-theft feature is and how it works, but I don't understand why they included such a thing when you could have included a sandbox type feature or something similar that would work towards better detection and cleaning capabilities.

I like NOD32, it runs well on my machine and performs well enough in av-c tests, for example, for me to feel good keeping it running. But to be honest, it's main selling point to me right now is it's low system impact on default settings. I regularly check sites like av-c and keep track of what other leading companies do with their av's and I don't see Kaspersky (as just one example) making a laptop anti-theft feature a big priority or selling point for an updated version of their malware fighter.

I think this is a step back for NOD32, but while it doesn't look hopeful, I do hope they can fix this by the time the RC goes final in January, (or before June of next year when my license runs out). ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  11. Marcos

Detection as well as cleaning is continually being improved via module updates, ie. no new program version is required to accomplish that and all existing users receive these updates automatically.

As for sandbox, there are quite many of them available even as stand-alone products, however, only very few of them (maybe less than 3-4) are really that good that are quite resistant when emulating malware behavior. ESET has always brought comprehensive and dependable solutions and will not include a feature that might give users a false sense of security. In fact, it may take even years to build a strong sandbox. If ESET comes with one, it will be announced at the right time.

As I have already mentioned, the biggest changes and improvements are always done under the hood via module updates, be it rootkit detection, malware detection, emulation or cleaning. For instance, advanced heuristics has received a significant update that helped ESET to be usually the only one or one of very few vendors to detect new rogue applications proactively. Another update of AH is being prepared which will bring even better protection.

V6, as one of a few products on the market, has recently received Windows 8 certification from Microsoft.

I always tell users to take the results of various tests with a pinch of salt and what matters is how an AV performs on their computer and how well it protects them against threats. If an AV is penalized for detecting let's say non-functional files or files from the gray zone, it won't tell you 100% truth about how it performs in reality.

12. 4L3X

4L3X Registered Member

Personally I don't think a sandbox would be of any use to anyone and the inclusion of that onto v6 would not make it any better.

If your going to run something in a sandbox, then you must be suspicious of the file in the first place ?? . If you fear running it, then why run it at all ?? Sandboxed or otherwise.

It wont matter what vendor makes an antivirus, common sense is better than any antivirus will ever be when it comes to 0day threats.

If every vendor made every suite the same, then it would be like every car manufacturer in the world making the same car with the same features and would not make for good competition.

I agree that the anti theft is pretty pointless as anyone who steals a pc or laptop is more than likely to format the machine and install a new o/s on it and making the anti theft feature worthless.

Eset should just stick to what they are good at, which is making a lightweight product that's got a good detection rate.

Luckily all the Anti theft/HIPS/Parental control can all be switched off at the users discretion, so is it really all so much of an issue ??

13. Marcos

I see an analogy with adding detection. Even though making a signature takes several minutes, we do it even if we know it may help less than 10 users in the world. Likewise it's with Anti-Theft; even if it doesn't protect a huge percentage of laptop users, saving a few thousands of them worldwide per year would be worth having it. We've already got requests for collaboration from the police and have had success.

As for sandbox, bear in mind that everything can be circumvented. There are maybe 2-3 strong ones while the others are more or less exploitable. It's similar with UAC; having it enabled will not ensure that, for instance, a rootkit will never install on a computer without user's consent.

14. Senhor_F

Please forget I mentioned a sandbox and instead take that to mean additional data security features, not physical security features like laptop tracking. Thanks.

Other than that I think I've made my point as effectively as I can, at least without resorting to A vs. B (this company has done this while you have done this, etc etc).

15. alan1476

alan1476 Registered Member

So when this gets released, do you have to uninstall the RC to install the Final version?

16. Marcos

It's always better to uninstall the former version prior to installing a newer one although installation over an existing version is supported. Especially in case of beta versions, it could happen that beta update servers would be preserved and the new version would continue to update from beta servers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.