ESET SS5 and Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by DBM901, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBM901

DBM901 Registered Member

I've read this thread, and didnt want to bump it since its not my thread.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=310708

Im not comfortable turning off my firewall while gaming. Currently i can join games and play, but in the server browser the ping of the servers don't show. It shows two blocked IPs when ever i look at servers.

Is there something i can do besides adding a bunch of IPs to the whitelist?

I have my firewall on Interactive.... BF3.exe is allowed, but i still get issues?

my build
    http://i50.tinypic.com/b4x8j9.png

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey DBM901
    Maybe it's a bit of a long shot, but you could give it a try. Before playing with settings in Eset, I think it will be wise to backup your settings. In that way you'll always be able to return to your personal configuration. How can I import or export my Windows ESET security product settings using an .xml file?
    Okay then try this : press F5 for activating advanced settings.>open network> open personal firewall>go to IDS advanced options> open Packet inspection and uncheck : ICMP protocol message checking and covert data in ICMP protocol detection. Then Reboot and try.
    This is my best guess.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling covert channel exploit in ICMP make a difference? What's logged in your firewall log?

4. DBM901

DBM901 Registered Member

5. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey DBM901 :)
    From one user to another : " No" I truly believes that, you do not expose yourself for greater threats by disabling ICMP. ICMP is used to handle errors and exchanged control messages. And can be used to determine if a PC is on the Internet is responding or not. (ICMP protocol do also have its weaknesses, but that is a completely different talk.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.