Eset. Speed of virus lab.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Owner, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pykko

pykko Registered Member

he just said he received it from an ICQ link.
    Of course you're right about common sense, but some are just not so clever and run many things... and when you see many others are adding something that a "stupid" guy may run and ESET don't it's not so funny...

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

so clicking an unknown link(from somebody most probably not personally known) is not even a little stupid?
    No av can protect against everything all of the time,things are always going to be missed therefore you have to use a little common sense,the biggest responsiblity for protecting your pc/software rests with yourself

3. adam_72

adam_72 Registered Member

hi all,

I've been lurking around these forums for quite a while and just thought the time has come to contribute s.th., instead of letting all others work ;-)

I know it's a little bit off-topic but .... IMHO the answer to malicious (unknown) websites and potentially dangerous software is ... virtualization !

I use VMware since version 3 and is has served me well for many purposes.
    as far as safe browsing is concerned, anyone can install vmware player (free) and download i.e. the browser appliance from http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/browserapp.html
    it's basically a stripped down linux installation (ubuntu) with firefox installed inside. You can browse, download files, and scan them at let's say virustotal, before you drag & drop them to your host machine (real pc) !
    It's kind of a hassle, you have to start the virtual machine manually (1-2 minutes),it uses a good ammount of system resources but it's close to bulletproof ... every malware stays inside the VM as long as you don't manually copy it over !

and no, of course it doesn't replace good av-software on your host PC, since you won't want to browse virtually all of the time and there are many other interfaces to the outside world like USB-drives, CDs ... (I use NOD32 for over 2 years now ;-))

just my 2 cents

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

or somebody can download it, change its name and send it to you as a "little game". ;) I"ve send hundreds of samples to various companies and I know what I say... ESET is among the latest to add something, that's it.

5. Owner

Owner Registered Member

About common sense, no one attacked me and my PC is not infected. Please read all posts, we are talking about speed of virus lab.
    What you meen when say "stupidity"? If every men in the world will become PC security expert, then who will fix your car or who will build your house? :)

I agree that No av in the world will protect against all malware.

virus signature database version: 1932
    NOD32 detecting Pinch which I sent

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  6. steve1955

Every day you go out in your car:-do you put its safety features to the test?Probably not,you(well most people)drive sensibly and probably never have use of ABS,ASC airbags etc,but if you drive like a lunatic you may test them on a reg basis,and will no doubt blame the manufacturer that the features aren't "good enough" when you crash.
    The end user is in control of the risks he puts himself at,in his car or with his PC:-users have to accept some(quite a lot really)responsibility in the way in which they use their PC's and not just try and blame the AV company(or companies:-they can all be slow on some updates)when they are taking risks and getting infected on dodgy websites or by dodgy downloads

7. Owner

Owner Registered Member

You wrote Car and AV Product comparison.
    Car function>>>means of transportation.
    AV product function>>>Protects PC from malware(viruses,trojans.e.t.c)
    Antibiotic Function>>>Kills harmful microbes in human organism.
    So when I'm ill with an infection and drink Antibiotics it should help and no matter
    why I'm infected or there was at me a common sense during infection.

Nod32 my choice and no one try and blame the AV company I have only expressed the opinion.
    I'm not AV product expert so how to develop a product Eset knows better :)

8. steve1955

vruses(human):-not affected by antibiotics,so you do your best to avoid them(HIV:-condoms)which does amount to common sense

9. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i have 2 send samples to eset in my case never get add to the virus definition, at this point i don't send nothing any more cause i think is a wasted of my time

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Upload any samples to www.virustotal.com and all vendors receive them.

Cheers :D

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please PM me the email address you used to send the samples from so that I can track down our records. You can also re-send them to samples @ eset.com with a link to this thread in the subject.

12. stnien

stnien Registered Member

I send a lot of samples to eset. But there are about 100 samples can't be detect until now. I agree you it's wasted my time.

13. pykko

pykko Registered Member

stnien, maybe they where some corrupted files. I had some also. You can send them again. :)

14. stnien

stnien Registered Member

I agree you. Maybe they don't get these smaples. Maybe these samples are harmless or they are damaged. But I pm a message to you. You can see that report, if you still think most of these files are harmless or damaged?

And I send samples to eset many times every files, I believe they received these files.

I have to say the response time of eset lab is very long.

e.g. I sent 'Win32/Stration' sample to eset in 2006/11/24 1:26:02pm, nod32 can delete this malware until 2006/11/29 1:45:01pm.

oh, more than FIVE days to process a malware ? Anybody can tell me it's enough to protect user's digital world?! (Sorry, five days isn't most long times. Some files still can't be detected until now.)

I wonder nod32 is the best antivirus software in the world. But if I have to wait so LONG response time after send samples to eset, I have to choose another solution. I don't believe nod32 can help me to against malware in the real world.

15. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i already delete dos samples and i don't remember the email that i use cause i have like 10 email account for differents thinks, but thank anyway for try to help

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Would those DOS samples actually run on today's systems? o_O I for one do not think that adding detection for DOS viruses is the top priority today, especially if they work only on old DOS based systems.

17. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

there where no Dos samples, it where file that i download it and tested before installed on virustotal, KAV and oder AV found virus i put the thread here it got delete by Blackspear for forums rule, i send the samples to eset but nothing after 3 weeks, so i deleit from my pc

18. steve1955

Do Eset mail back having received samples?(I don't know as I've never had to send any in)if they don't,perhaps it might be a good idea to acknowledge receipt,then at least users know the samples are being looked at!:-then if no defs are added,the samples are harmless,corrupt or Eset is acting slow!

19. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

No, they don't mail back after receiving a sample, I think it's been suggested to do this before on different threads but it's their blanket policy at the moment, hopefully it might change in the future.

Londonbeat

20. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Always I found new unknow sample, I send it to ESET via ThreatSense, E-Mail, I submit it in nod32-av.com/samples.htm and virustotal.com but result always is the same... So I don't think ESET don t reacive them.
    In other words there is no reason why ESET should not add unknow samples next days.

ESET please listen to your customers... Improuve speed of virus lab ! We pay in our licenses money,that means we want to be maximum protected, if ESET will prolong that way it will not look realistic.

Sorry for my english

21. stnien

stnien Registered Member

I send samples to eset in 2006/12/21 3:01pm. Some antivirus detected it's Viking worm. But I wait three days, nod32 still can't detect this malware.

~removed virustotal attachment per this policy....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2006
  22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If all of this is accurate, it really isnt good and would make me rethink my future with them. "If" being the keyword.

23. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I understand your frustration (I came across a nasty PSW stealing trojan a few days ago [still live ITW being downloaded from a URL now], submitted twice but not added yet) but you're probably wasting your time posting missed samples/virustotals on here because Eset rarely add it any quicker (if at all) and to add insult to injury your post will probably be deleted. Best thing to do would be to submit it again with a link to this thread.

Londonbeat

24. steve1955

No point in sending samples at weekends:-don't seem to be many (any??)updates at all during that period:-do they close sat/sun? or think heuristics can cope?

25. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

I think the people at Eset do a great job.

24.12.2006 09:43:58 Kernel The virus signature database has been successfully updated to version 1937 (20061224)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.