Eset Smart Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

If its good then people will pay.

You get what you pay for.:cautious:

2. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

That's pretty questionable as a general proposition (which is to say that high prices don't mean you're getting a correspondingly high quality product) ... perhaps closer to the truth; you don't get what you don't pay for.

But there are exceptions even there; consider, for example, CCleaner and Privazer...

As to ESET/Nod32, that was a an absolutely superb (albeit pricy) product several years ago, then something happened and it started missing malware and I had to switch. Hope they've gotten back to the good 'ol great days. I may try the Newegg special, though I doubt I'd ever go back to paying the list price.

__

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  3. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

Whenever I switched my antivirus(due to tests,and other antiviruses' good review),I came back to ESET after a while.

Simplicity,Lightness,responsiveness and especially its Effectiveness make it one of the bests.

Its power had been falling for a spell,but since V6,it has come back to the game

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

:thumb: Have a nice day, regards Janus :))

5. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

The honeymoon with Eset is over?

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I absolutely love eset but my trial has expired and unless i can purchase in person in any uk stores then i cannot continue using it.:'(

7. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I am finding this product heavy. Programs open slowly. Can I disable some settings like advanced heuristics on file execution? Will it affect security? I have enabled Default deny SRP. I have also enabled detection of potentially unsafe programs in all protection settings like the resident shield, scanner etc. I have set strict cleaning option when malware is found.

Will these settings slow down system? Does default settings enable advanced heuristics on execution in this version? :doubt:

EDIT: I forgot to add that I didn't select the initial scan offered after installation.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've had the same experience on some computers, while on other it has been very light - with no significant slowdowns witnessed.

While it's a while since I tested it, I found it heavy on my computer. I even tried the really old version 2.7 (I think that was the version), because some old posts here at Wilders said it was the lightest version.

However, even the old version was not light on my laptop and caused noticeable slowdowns.

9. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

Thanks.....Good Luck

10. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

not sure if it's allowed to mention this - but I do give deals to US/Canada Wilders regulars.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Perhaps you could contact the UK distributor who could tell you what UK stores you could purchase ESET's products from.

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This shouldn't happen with popular applications at all provided that Smart optimization and LiveGrid are enabled. Please report the issue in our official forum at https://forums.eset.com and we will be happy to assist you.
    Disabling advanced heuristics on file execution but keeping it enabled for newly created files could be a workaround that would provide sufficient protection but there are certain scenarios when malware could be executed (e.g. if you downloaded malware before detection was added; in such case it wouldn't be detected upon execution if Advanced memory scanner doesn't detect it either).

With strict cleaning, all files will be cleaned / deleted. I wouldn't choose this option so that in case the system gets infected, infected and yet uncleanable system files are not quarantined and thus possibly rendering the system unusable.

It's good to run an on-demand scan at least once so that files with good reputation are not scanned next time. If a file is scanned (e.g. by real-time protection), it won't be rescanned next time if it has good reputation.

13. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Thanks Marcos for the detailed reply:)

I installed it again with default settings and then I enabled the option to detect potentially unsafe applications. This time I did not enable `Advanced heuristics/DNA/Smart signatures' in the threatsense engine setting of realtime protection which seemed to be the cause for slowdowns for me. I think it may be the reason Eset has not enabled it by default. Now everything runs fine:thumb:

14. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Does that mean AV Test kinda have a point?

15. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

They must have maxed all settings. Otherwise I can's explain only 2/6 for performance.
    In older versions of Nod there was a warning when you tried to enable Advanced heuristics in real-time protection. I don't know why they removed that warning.

16. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Looked up to be sure, they do use the default settings:
    Either they enabled it by mistake or we're back to square one. Still ridiculous.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  17. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

The link you gave was a test related to version 6 which I also felt to be heavy on system. Let's see how version 7 performs in the upcoming tests.

Earlier I have enabled `Advanced heuristics/DNA/Smart signatures' (off by default) in threatsense settings in real time protection which caused the slowdowns. This setting seems new in version 7 and different from `Advanced heuristics on file execution' which is there in both the versions and enabled by default in version 7.

Still `Advanced heuristics/DNA/Smart signatures' setting is enabled by default in other modules like web protection, manual scanning etc which has not affected performance so far :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.