ESET Smart Security v4.0.424.0 download

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zarzenz, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

wow! You certainly do know how to make friends ;)

know what? - you keep your set of troubles, I'll keep mine ...

good luck!

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

OK, let's stick to attempting to address issues certain users are having and leave the personal attacks for something other than open forum comments.

Otherwise, the backroom is where some of the comments and\or posts will start ending up :ninja:

Please continue,
    Bubba

3. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Fine but please stop other normal members making out we are dumb and ESET v4 is flawless and get us some proper support we have paid for it afterall and I can prove my system works with the last build of v3. ;)

Ok I have for now (30mins) turned back on WEB and HTTP Scanning.

It deff slows down surfing, I see this on opening my homepage never mind going all over the web but it so far unlike all previous v4 builds does not get so slow it times out sites.

I still cannot live with this but will continue to test it for a day or so unless it becomes a PIA like before.

So if it has been tweaked in this build your doing something in the right direction and I hope for a fix in near future.

The Error MSG's in Window Mail under v4 with Spam turned on is random, I am not sure what's the cause are as v3 worked after initial bugs that are known about were fixed, at least v4 now does not stop you closing Windows Mail or Adding Spam to its own built in "Junk E-Mail Folder" (2 bugs in previous Beta/RC builds).

4. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Are the Moderators actual ESET Employees??

Regardless, I think the Moderators are doing an adequate enough job considering the circumstances. Naturally, they cannot please everyone. But since the release of ESS/NOD32 4.0 they've had their hands full.

I'm not going to discount the fact that ESS/NOD32 4.0.314 & .417 produced a great many problems for a great deal of it's users. But, on the other side of the coin, you've got a large percentage of people who just don't know nearly enough about maintaining their own systems before they even started using ESS or NOD32. Then what must also be considered is that ESS/NOD32 never claimed to be the most User Friendly of Antivirus and/or Security Suites. I knew that before I even started using it. It really didn't bother me at all. That's what manuals are for. That's probably why they offer such a long Trial period. This isn't Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, or whatever, that almost do 100% of the thinking for you. It takes a while to learn how ESS/NOD32 works. I've only been using ESS for a little over 6 months (actually at least 7...used all of the time alloted for the trial version) and I still have a GOB of stuff to learn about it. I kept my settings OOB for some time before I got comfortable enough to get inside and make my own custom settings.

Above I said:
    ESET can't be held accountable for everthing. It's not a utililty suite. It won't defrag your drives or your memory. It won't clean and/or defrag your Registry. It doesn't create backups or restore points should something go wrong. Nothing to do with maintaining your system's integrity at all. Well, only from a security standpoint it will maintain your system. So my point being that if you are the type that just knows where the on/off switch, the keyboard, and mouse is then you've got no business using ESS or NOD32 in the first place. You need to be more familiar with your system than that. Even just knowing how to clear your cache, cleaning/defragging your drive(s) isn't enough. You need to dig alot deeper than that. Yes, there are some books you can read, and there are a number of websites you can go to for learning some more "elevated" things that you can do to better maintain your system. But, what really matters is the "hands on" experience: Doing it. Doing it. Doing it. Doing it.

Best way to start? Learn how to do a simple backup of your OS. Norton's Ghost (my preference is Ghost 2003 that came with Norton SystemWorks 2003 cuz it's DOS based), SeaGate Tools (if you have any Seagate drives it's practically free), Nero BackItUp are all viable backup (cloning) applications. Start out by completely erasing your drive to virtually new factory state, and then reformat. Most HDD manufacturers have applications that do at least the erasing (writing zeros) and there are a few that do both in DOS. Install your OS. Install all the necessary Motherboard drivers, Video card drivers, etc. Make a clone image file of that and work your way up from there making incremental backups as you get your system set up the way you like. It's not that difficult. Maybe a little time consuming when you first start out. You'll get faster the more familiar you become with it. The benefits are incalculable.

;)

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Oh boy.

Looks like somebody's gonna wind up on a lot of people's Ignore list. I don't particularly like doing that,but.....

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

one post removed and a reminder this is an Eset support forum, not a place for former users to deposit their "the product still sucks" comments

Bubba

7. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I used this version solidly here last night with no problems at all. So for me, on my system, it can now be considered a working software.

The original version was not usable for me due to the freeze ups on entering websites mentioned before, but I've had no such difficulties with this so far and if anything sites are now opening a bit crisper.

One thing... yesterday when I installed it, I went over V3 as it was specified this was acceptable even if clean install was preferable.

Everything went fine doing this and it worked flawlessly. However, I then decided to look at all the ESET files that get placed in the various folders. This meant unhiding all files to enable the documents and settings application data and local settings for all users and also not forgetting to check program common files at the same time.

I then found a number of folders/files that still had the original creation date shown against them, so I presumed that these files had not been required to be renewed or were not even installed by the new version.

So, I decided to do a full deinstallation, and then a manual clean up of every ESET item I could find in all these various places. I then ran a full registry scan and found about 10 or so orphaned ESET files.

So with all these deleted I then ran the install again and did a quick config and interactive firewall learn process.

Then once again, ran the whole computer all evening without any issues.

I probably could have just as easily left the over the top install as it was because I'm sure all the previous dated files would not have made any difference... it's just that I like my programs to not have any leftovers or even if they are needed I always like to have the creation dates match the install date for any future debugging etc.

So, I'm happy with this setup now.

I don't know why other users still have problems, but as it has already been mentioned there are a multitude of systems and configs and other softwares installed on each users computers which I guess must be a factor in all this.

BTW... my system is running with XP Home, SP3, 32 Bit.

I will continue to use this now and will report here if I get any issues during the next day or two, but to be honest, it feels very solid to me at this time.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hi folks,
    I am curious whether the Czech .424 has been already released. If I choose the czech language on eset.com and eset.eu it shows .417 but clicking on brings me to changelog with .424. So does it mean the Czech is out or the changelog is common regardless chosen language?
    Thx.

9. DarrenDavisLeeSome

There does not appear to be any release of Czech language as of yet. Only English and Dutch.

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK thx will wait ... but still odd ... Slovak with Czech, as native languages of Eset, are together with English always the first released.

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0.424.0 were released in Czech and Slovak earlier today to licensed users, with trial versions and other languages to follow.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. zarzenz

Hi,

Just to say... have now been using 424 for a few days since the download and have not had a single issue. The problem of a white screen I mentioned right after I installed it has never happened since so that may well have been something to do with my connection at that moment or some setup that just needed to settle down after the initial install.

But since then it has worked perfectly here.

13. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Hey zarzenz...

Have you been getting the Event/Application "Warning" log entry about the ESET Service remaining in the memory and registry during logoff?

That's the only issue I am experiencing with the new build.

14. zarzenz

Hi DarrenDavisLeeSome,

No, I've not had that happen at all. I've never had any event warning at any time and logoff just happens normally here.

Is there some place I could look to see if any such log exists.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  15. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Look in your Event Viewer: Start>Administrative Tools (or Start>All Programs>Adminitrative Tools)> Event Viewer>Applications.

Don't know which version of Windows you are using. XP Pro will grant access to it, whereas XP Home may not. Vista Home Basic might not. I think Vista Home Premium and beyond do.

16. zarzenz

I checked the event viewer log... never really looked in there much before... lots of various things going on but absolutely no references to ESET anywhere.

So, looks like it's not an issue here.

17. DarrenDavisLeeSome

It's not going to specifically indicate the ESET Service.

I empty my Event Viewer logs regularly especially prior to doing any system updates, Application installations, or any other maintenance related stuff. Anyways, I didn't start to get any recent Event/Application "Warnings" until I installed and rebooted with the ESS 4.0.424 build.

Thing to do is clear the log: right-click on Application>Clear all Events. You'll get a popup asking if you want to save the log: Yes, No, or Cancel. If you want to save the log entries it will save it as an .evt file anywhere you wish. If you don't wish to save it, no big deal. Will do your system no harm at all in emptying it out (same goes with the Event/System log entries...I'm sure you've got plenty in there too)

Reboot your system. Go back to the Event/Application Viewer and see if you have any Event/Application "Warning" entries.

18. zarzenz

Ok... did that... and indeed on rebooting there was 1 new entry there.

It's a warning... Source Userenv... Event 1517.

So is this what you are getting. To be honest I didn't get any indication there was a problem logging off so can't see how this is going to be an issue... unless it is.

19. DarrenDavisLeeSome

It's nothing to be too concerned about. Not really a problem...

I am 99.99% certain that it's caused by the ESET Service (from the 424 build). The ESET Service just isn't being cleared in the memory and Registry during shutdown (logoff). It's just a minor little burp. Maybe they'll have it worked out in one of the up and coming builds.

20. zarzenz

I see, that's very interesting.

I guess as long as the software continues to do the main job of protecting the system during normal use and providing logoff is not unduly affected, which it doesn't appear to be, then this little glitch or bug or whatever it is shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I've just had a look in the event viewer again and sure enough there are now 3 of those same entries which all coincide with some reboots I did late last night when I was checking some other stuff out here.

So, thanks for the heads up on this one. I'll watch what happens and as each new version is rolled out, I'll check to see if it's sorted out in a future build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.