ESET Smart Security Stopped Scanning Emails After 5.0.95.0 Upgrade

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Corey Bryant, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Registered Member

Last year when I read ESET Smart Security version 5.0.95.0 has been released, I waited until February to download that update.

When I update something like this, I shut down Outlook and reboot. I then downloaded the install kit. Unfortunately when I did this, ESS stopped scanning my emails. They were no longer tagged with a footer and any virus / malware were appended in the subject but they were not moved to the Infected Items folder.

I worked with their Tier Three support for almost a month - they suggested I downgrade. I did that and tested it on a folder (that had popped emails) with about 4,500 emails. Version 4 caught about 1,200 spam messages but I still had a lot of emails. They told me if Version 4 worked that that would mean a bug is in 5.0.95.0. ESS would catch 95%-98% of my spam before the 5.0.95.0 upgrade and move the spam to the correct folder. I still have spam in there unfortunately - and I cannot remember if that was the case back then.

I had to cancel my subscription unfortunately after five years. I am not posting this to complain about my problem, but to let others know and maybe they will reply here as well to let the company know. I am also hoping if the company fixes this, maybe they will reply here (or call / email me since they have been doing both with this issue) so I can switch back to ESET Smart Security.

Also, I wanted to thank Daniel for helping me with this issue.

Windows 7 Ultimate and Microsoft Office 2010 Professional

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's really weird as email would be scanned for malware regardless of the email client used even if there was no plug-in for a particular email client. All versions of MS Outlook are fully supported, however. Frankly, I haven't heard about such an issue and have no clue what could be causing it. I'd strongly suggest contacting customer care who will assist you in troubleshooting any issue you may run into while using ESET's products.

3. Corey Bryant

I did contact customer care - phone and emails (my last email between us (having all the previous documentation, etc) was 54 pages.

Personally, I think that it is not the best thing to not be able to downgrade to 5.0.94.0 (I did have two representatives tell me that I could run the 5.0.94.0 install) but when I ran the install feature, it installed 5.0.95.0.

One Tier One representative basically called me a liar, telling me that ESET upgrades the versions without customer intervention. I personally know that this did not happen - I signed into the website, downloaded the install and ran it. At no time did ESET upgrade the version automatically, only the definitions while I had it.

I was hoping maybe others are having the same issue and will reply or if this bug gets fixed, ESET will notify me here, email, or call me.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET upgrades their products to newer versions automatically without user's intervention provided that a program component update (PCU) is released. As of v5, it's possible to check for the latest version by clicking the Check link in the Update pane. There's been 1 fully automatic PCU released for v5 so far, it was intended for those who had a very old v5 installed.
    Since nobody else has reported a similar issue and I can't think of any reasons for the behavior you described, I wonder if downgrading to v4.2 actually makes a difference. If it does, I'd be interested in getting email that was allegedly not scanned by v5 for analysis.

5. Corey Bryant

So yes, Version 4 caught about 1,200 emails that 5.0.95.0 did not. I just did not feel comfortable to go back to a version from 2010 and it not working as well as 5.0.94.0 did.

I had the ESET configured not to download product updates so that I could decide when to upgrade.

When we went through and had ESET download a pre-released version, that also did not work on my emails.

I did try to install the eset_smart_security_live_installer 5.0.94.0 as Tier One Support suggested, but that installed 5.0.95.0. They told me to install the last version that was working flawlessly but unfortunately I cannot.

I also have eset_smart_security_live_installer5.0 but I did not try to install that one. Daniel noticed it when he viewing my computer but did not suggest installing it.

I had requested to the support team as well to ask the engineer team put something in there so in case of something like this, I can install the latest version that worked.

Unfortunately, almost everyone in Tier One would tell me to go back to the version that worked (which is impossible).

As before, I am just hoping that maybe other people have not really noticed, but it was confirmed by Tier 3's eyes that something was amiss. And no, I have not installed any programs (other than Windows Updates - which I also do manually after I shut everything down and reboot).

I still have a couple of spam emails that came through that are still in my folder that is spam while I had ESET ESS 5.0.95.0 running. And those emails are very similar to other emails that I had marked by ESET in the past.

Do you just want the header info or the header / source code? And actually both version 4 and version 5 did not detect these as spam. I also have the viruses that were somehow scanned - they entered [virus JS/Kryptic.KF trojan] in the subject but did not move them to the Infected Items folder. When I would click on that email, ESET ESS seemed to "go into action" and moved it. Previously, in 5.0.94.0, ESET ESS would automatically move those to the Infected Items folder.

And like I said before, I am not posting to be problematic, I am posting in hopes of maybe someone else notices the issue. And I am posting in case that if it gets fixed, hopefully ESET will notify me here, email, or phone. And yes, ESET actually did call me once re: the issue which really impressed me.

I actually really did not notice it too much since my "Spam" folder that ESET was supposed to move them to was "hidden" in Outlook 2010 - basically there were a lot of folders in there for the emails and RSS feeds. When I scrolled down to that spam folder, I saw 21 emails. Usually that folder will have 500 or so. I started looking at my emails as well and notice that the footer was not on there either. This is what made me dive more into this at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.