ESET Smart Security Public Beta 1 Status Update

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by agoretsky, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

think i will give it a whirl,

gotta at least try it and see the hype, interface does look amazing though, so kudos to the guys who made that :)

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I had to back out until later. Mostly connection and freezing issues.

3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

No 64 bit version for Vista... oh my, after being under development for more than a year.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This will for sure be added in later developments .

If you want to enjoy first class protection , you are more than welcome to install NOD32 Anti-Threat system which will protect your x64 Windows.

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

very satisfied with the beta........only thing i haven't done is full-system scan........

6. tyffen

tyffen Registered Member

I just sent a report to the beta support site. If I do a scan (full or custom), and I click on "Show Log File", my CPU usage spikes to about 100%, memory goes up to about 70MB,

ESS (7).jpg

the ESS window freezes (see below), and I have to shutdown egui.exe and ekrn.exe through Task Manager (ekrn.exe immediately restarts itself).

ESS (6) 600.jpg

The CPU usage drops, but then my Desktop freezes and I have to do a hard reboot.
    As long as I keep the log file hidden, it's okay. CPU usage is anywhere from 5-50%, and memory usage only increases by about 5 MB.

ESS (5).jpg

Although, at times, the Scan status and controls (Pause, Stop) will flicker (disappear and reappear).

ESS (4) 600.jpg

Only other thing I've noticed is my boot up time has increased by about a minute.

For a first beta, though I'm very impressed, and having fun testing it.

One more thing. The firewall (default rules, nothing changed) passed Leaktest, Too Leaky, and PC Audit's test. It failed Wallbreaker and PC Flank's Test (the text I typed was there on the web page when I opened it with my browser). Those are the only tests I have on hand.

7. finalcut

finalcut Registered Member

my version 2 license expire today. Can I just renew for 2 years, like I usually do and then put user/pass in the version 3? And is this will work also with the final version of version 3? Or we will have to pay again?

8. wch_net

wch_net Registered Member

Just installed ESS v3.0.128.0 on Vista, nice interface and notifications;

Mainly trying out ESS's firewall to compare with "Comodo Firewall" currently on my production system.

9. Monos22

Monos22 Registered Member

Thank you for you develop great security pack .

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Works here with the beta Suite and should work with the new standalone AV when it is released.
    For present license holders, the upgrade to the standalone AV will be free, but an upgrade to the Suite will cost extra. This is the same policy as other vendors.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Ive just sent the logs. I hope they help :doubt:

12. yaba

yaba Registered Member

i'm sad because there is no more possibility to exclude partitions or folders !!

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok with the little play i did have with the software, i wasnt overly impressed and i acronised outta there :)

lets hope it gets better for release

14. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I think folder exclusion will be in the official final version 3.0.

15. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Why? More detailed feedback would be more useful...

16. rothko

rothko Registered Member

to be fair, that is pointless feedback in a beta testing forum. if you choose to install it then you do so knowing that it is its FIRST public beta testing outing and you are willing to provide constructive criticism to help aid its development.

17. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Indeed...

18. yaba

yaba Registered Member

i hope so otherwise i keep kaspersky.

thank you

19. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Pricing has not yet been set, normally current license holders can upgrade to the same product for free, however a upgrade to an advance feature set product like the suite is like to see a small fee charged.

Cheers :D

20. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This is a FIRST release Beta, many features are yet to be implemented.

Cheers :D

21. Timo Schmidt

Timo Schmidt Registered Member

Will there be a "pure" antivirus-system like NOD32 2.7 available too?

Or is this suite the complete and only replacement for NOD32 2.7 ?

Greetings

Timo

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

There will be a standalone AV ;)

23. Timo Schmidt

Timo Schmidt Registered Member

Very nice :D :)

24. DOOOMKULTUS

DOOOMKULTUS Registered Member

I saw this review on some site(can't name it),I havent personally tried it yet,waiting for download link.It seems genuine and informative.

Eset Smart Security Beta 1 Test/Review by [deXter]
    --------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Program Test
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Overview:

Firstly, this isn't just a simple bundle of Firewall + Antivirus + Antispam. Its a completely integrated (single) product; a single service "Eset Service" controls and contains the entire app. (You cannot disable this service from the service manager)

Interface:

The interface is a fresh change from the old NOD32 look. It has a slick vista-inspired look. The interface also reminds one of Kaspersky Internet Security. All notification messages are delivered using a sleek popup baloon, that fades in/out.

Performance:

As expected, performance was great! It didn't slow down a PIII PC with 256 MB ram. Although memory usage was higher than what NOD32 users are normally used to (~30 MB), the CPU usage was constantly zero. But considering that you're getting a Firewall, AntiVirus and AntiSpam all in under 30 MB, it does use considerably lesser memory compared to its competitors.

Bugs:

The hotkeys Ctrl+R, Ctrl+M doesn't work. The Real-time filesystem protection couldn't be disabled from the main interface. Links like "Configure", "Enter antivirus protection advanced setup", etc in the Advanced mode sometimes don't work. Clicking on Enable/Disable on the other modules worked, but the interface doesn't update (you need to change between advanced/simple interfaces)

Limitations:

Keyboard shortcuts aren't present for the main options. It's not possible to scroll down the window using the Arrow/PgDn keys. It's not possible to quickly disable the entire program, if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Firewall Tests

I) GRC Shields UP!
    ------------------

- Port Test:

"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests."

- Messenger Spam:

No spam was received

II) Firewall Leak Tester
    --------------------------

1. LeakTest:

Passed! When Leak Tester attempted to connect, Eset firewall presented a neat prompt asking me whether to allow it to connect it or not.

2. TooLeaky:

Passed! There was no leak.

3. FireHole:

The AntiVirus module picked this up as a trojan and didn't allow to download. Since I couldn't disable the antivirus, I had to remove "EXE" from the file-types to be scanned.

Failed! FireHole was able to connect by injecting code into the Internet Explorer process, since IE was allowed to connect normally, ESS didn't prompt or alert. This however, shouldn't be a problem if you're on Vista.

4. Yalta:

Can't Say - ESS did give a allow/deny prompt , but it was too late - Yalta had already sent UDP packets. However, when "Deny" was clicked, a new rule was created and Yalta was unable to send any further packets.

5. Outbound:

Did Not run - Outbound was unable to detect the ethernet adapter, and hence was unable to work.

6. PCAudit:

Failed!

7. AWFT:

Test 1 - Failed!*
    Test 2 - Failed!*
    Test 3 - Failed!**
    Test 4 - Failed!*
    Test 5 - Failed!
    Test 6 - Failed!

Note: All above tests failed on Windows XP but passed on Windows Vista.

8. Thermite:

Failed!

9. CopyCat:

Failed!

10. MBTest:

Did not run. Apparently the MAC has to be hardcoded, but the source files aren't available for download.

11. WallBreaker:

Test 1 : Failed!*
    Test 2 : Failed!*
    Test 3 : Failed!*
    Test 4 : Failed!*

12. pcAudit

Failed!

13. Ghost

Failed!

14. DNStester
    `
    Failed!

15. Surfer

Failed!*

16. Breakout

Did not run. File not found.

Summary of areas where ESS fails

- DLL Injection / Process patching
    - Launching under different context
    - Timed attacks / PID Changing
    - DDE based attacks

25. stadi

stadi Registered Member

Interactive mode doesn't work for me. After system start it works for a few minutes but after it it doesn't. For example it assked for the Vista Sidebar and svchost but when I started my browser it did not. I rebooted, then it also asked for some applications but after some minutes it stopped again.

Id like to see some pre defined standard rules in the firewall, like Outpost has. Like: e-mail, browser, ftp-client etc...

Also like in Outpost i'd like to have the rules categorized as allowed and blocked and maybe allowed with rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.