ESET Smart Security Firewall Blocking my VPN connection.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bobbobagan, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbobagan

bobbobagan Registered Member

Hi there,

I have ESET Smart Security v3.0.657.0 and with the firewall turned on, I am unable to access my VPN connection... It just won't connect.

If I turn the firewall off the connection works fine and I am able to connect.

I do not want to have my firewall off, just to be able to connect... and I have looked in the settings but can not find an option to allow the connection, is there any way I can?

I am running Windows Vista, and have recently upgraded from XP... Remote Desktop worked fine on XP, but seems to be a real problem setting it up on Vista.

Kind Regards,

Bobbobagan

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi!

Switch firewall to interactive mode and then you will create rules for each network communication.

Regards

3. bobbobagan

It already is on interactive mode. When the connection was first made, it poped up asking me what type of connection it was. Even though I am at home, I chose work.

Because I am connecting to work, would that have effected it?

4. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

You can change this settings here:

ESS Control Center => Setup => Toogle Advanced mode => Personal firewall => Configure rules and zones

5. bobbobagan

Sorry mate, Have no idea what you are talking about. I already have advanced mode activated, and interactive mode on. How do I set it up so the firewall will allow me to connect to my VPN? It is currently being blocked.

6. bobbobagan

Does anyone have any idea?

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try enabling logging all blocked connection attempts in the IDS section of the firewall setup and then check the log for details about a rule that blocked the connection.

A new major update will bring an option to activate learning more for a specific period of time so that the firewall will automatically create all necessary rules for the applications you use.

8. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

What kind of VPN client do you use?
    a software IPSEC client (which vendor?) or the "normal" Microsoft VPN connection (=PPTP)?

For IPSEC clients you sometimes have to configure:
    - allow protocol GRE (50)
    - allow UDP 500 and 4500 for incoming traffic
    - configure remote subnet or IP as an allowed zone

Greetings from holland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.