ESET Smart Security & ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9 Beta Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SweX, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

From a posting on 9 Beta over at MalwareTips, appears they are going the protected browser route for on-line banking protection:

Banking & Payment Protection (available only in ESS)
    This feature automatically detects when customers are using online banking sites or online payment gateways and provides them a protected browser to ensure all online financial transactions are process in trusted and secure environment.

Given the problems with this approach from every AV that has the feature integrated; Kapersky, Bitdefender, etc., I would expect problems with this feature. Hopefully, it can be turned off. My gut is telling me they are using EV certs as the trigger for this. If so, I bet EV certs will still be decrypted outside of banking mode if SSL protocol is enabled.

2. AndyTHL

AndyTHL Registered Member

Hello,
    i did today clean my hard disk a bit more, for old remains,,,, and did erase some unused programs in startup.
    Than i installed beta again.

Now the beta is running very good... Seem's it needs at the moment a bit more ressources, than old software, and isn't much compitable...No i switched scanning at shutdown off...
    I had often problems at shutdown before...

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! I gave the new Beta a test drive...was suitably impressed. But when I uninstalled, I experienced problems...I've never experienced. I tried using Eset's Uninstaller and Revo. Its seems Revo was more successful in doing so. But when I rebooted Eset popped up...even though Eset was removed from sight on Windows Control Panel Programs List. I tried a couple of System Restores both unsuccessful as the error message claimed their might be a broken restore point and a Windows error code. I left a message with Eset's Support,but it takes at least a couple of days for a reply. I was wondering if I re-install Smart Security 8 will it remove the Beta...or further complicate matters. Any guesses? Sincerely...Securon

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

5. Securon

Good Evening! Many thanks for your prompt advice Trjam. Sincerely...Securon

6. AndyTHL

yeah, thats the only way, at the moment, the eset uninstaller...

To reach Windows 8 safe mode, isn't so complicated... there much instructions out there, just need google^^
    If you have done it once, you dont forget it.

7. Securon

Good Evening! I had a Senior Moment or Two...Lol! While going through the uninstall process...but all is well again...back too Smart Security 8...until 9 is out of it's Beta Testing. Once again Gentlemen...many thanks. Sincerely...Securon

8. AndyTHL

Yeah,
    its hard work with no. 9... but i'm still driving on it, even i have a 2 year license for general version...

I have installed the beta the 5th time now, i think :doubt:
    The speed is now most times ok, but not as fast as ess8.

The first 2 scans really sucks:-(
    But you need it, to get general working speed... you can do something with windows...

I think programmers will have to work on it....

Crashes i dont had anymore, after deactivating, scan at shutdown...

Yeah, 8 is the better, fast one.... but no. 9 gives a bit more Security in network, cause advanced botnet security...
    But i dont now, if they are updating rules now, all the times...

I think now, security is not much difference,,,, and i dont need the safe browser often....
    maybe once a week...

Better to do a phone call to bank:)

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

SSL scanning is disabled by default on Win XP, but enabled on later Win versions.

Yes, especially for those that want to disable the "your license will expire soon", some think those notifications are extremely annoying.

I like the new GUI, but I far from love it! And nothing was wrong with the old one on a desktop OS, but people kept saying it was out-dated, so here we go, brand new GUI and they can stop complaining :p

Ads ? Don't talk crazy. I am sure there won't be any ads, besides, we pay for it remember :D And IMO the in-product news (news about what? I have it disabled) idea is an unnecessary addition to the product.

Well, if they would have added 3 brand new features, people would probably start thinking about a bloated product. Now they added 1 brand new feature, but have made "Many other improvements have been made under the hood, such as support for so-called micro program component updates or support for network signatures for Botnet protection."

If they would add more than 1 feature each year....I don't wanna think about how the product will look within 5 years time. :isay:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  10. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I don't complain about lack of new features. It's only one of the reasons why I don't consider to update right now.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry. No, I didn't mean that you complain, but that there will always be some people that will, as they can't please every user.

12. Minimalist

Yes, I know what you mean. I actually like the fact that they don't add bloat to their products :thumb:.

13. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I'm not a fan of the Smart Security solution but I have trusted the NOD AV for many years and it hasn't let me down once. I prefer dedicated products for each solution and I have yet to find a suite that comes close to doing everything in 'the best' way possible. In fact I feel the NOD AV product is already 'somewhat' bloated and would prefer it did not include any basic hips/fw options as I've never been impressed with the ESET versions and end up disabling them in favor of other products that do those things so much better.

I'm certainly one of those people who believes more doesn't equal better. As long as they've improved the AV engine or exploit detection in the end, I'm happy. I'm still not quite ready to trust my machine with an AV 'test version' but I will be running it inside a few VM's along the way.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  14. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I experienced the same issue over the weekend...followed same instructions using their uninstaller in safe mode...successful after that. I'm sure they will have it polished soon.

15. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

What I've started to see is that when you run a context menu scan on any file now, the ESET icon in the taskbar doesn't fade away naturally, and window must be manually closed.Or is it related to the notification to "dismiss" scan, and shouldn't go away by itself, in which case I'm misunderstanding? Don't think so, and this has just started happening now.
    Got scanner module update earlier (to 1458 ),don't know if possibly related, but may be. Database 11727P, NOD32 v9, W7 32-bit.
    Seems fully recurring/reproducible now.
    Know I should probably register at ESET forum to report, or via feedback form, and will do so if best in future,don't see in "known issues" etc, but thought I should mention this in case it's any help.

Edit: Naw, what was happening was that earlier when I ran a R-click scan, the application's interface wasn't coming up (so it could be closed etc), and I'm seeing different now. Will keep an eye on it, and not familiar enough with it also.

Lovely software btw, as always :) I'll see if I can find out any more about this.

EAV9a.PNG EAV9b.PNG

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  16. Minimalist

I've got reply form customer support, saying that they will fix this in release version. That will solve the biggest problems I've encountered so far, testing this beta.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Happy to hear it :)

18. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

does this actually adhere to modern ssl standards?

using nod32 v8 for https scanning shows a bleak result on ssllabs client test.

also is there no test licenses to use? not all of us have spare commercial licenses to use?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the lic is built into the beta. you do not need to use your lic for it. and the lic method is changing there will not be user name passwords any more from v9 out.

20. Dermot7

Well there's definitely some sort of recurring issue with context-menu scanning, at least here, and I just saw again the issue I was trying to describe above, got message "ESET main gui is not responding". Looking in Event Viewer seeing:
    EAV9c.PNG
    And no problem details in Action Center, but if further info is wanted just ask. Thanks.

21. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

so can someone using v9 with https scanning enabled do a ssllabs client test and report back here?

22. Dermot7

Slight correction, and suggestion. In Advanced Settings>On demand Computer Scan>Cleaning.
    Available for "availible", and insert "will" for "may"...for certainty?
    EAV9d.PNG

23. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Is this still the first beta release :doubt:

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes, no new build has been released since 9.0.111.0 :)

25. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

@SweX
    Thanks for the confirmation :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.