ESET Smart Security and Slow USB Trasnfer Rate!!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by aboodnet, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aboodnet

aboodnet Registered Member

Yesterday i installed ESET smart security 4. I noticed that once i installed it, my usb trasnfer rate got from 20 MB/sec to 4 MB/sec and sometimes it gets lower than 4. I tried 3 different usb sticks like kingstones and sandisks but same problem existed. I even noticed the speed of transfering files between two internal hard drives got down from 40 MB/sec to 11 MB/sec.

I tried uninstalling ESET and everything got back to normal speeds. Why is that? If there is no solution to this problem, then i am thinking of switching to Kaspersky.

Thanks...

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling advanced heuristics for newly created files make a difference?

3. aboodnet

Can you please give me some instructions on how to do that?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Click the tray icon, choose advanced setup. Under antivirus and antispyware, choose advanced setup.

On the right side are the settings.

Attached Files:

5. aboodnet

Thank you ronjor. I followed your instructions and i disabled both "advanced heuristics" and "advanced heuristics on executing files from removable media" but with no luck at all.

6. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi aboodnet,

Does it happen with all files, or only with certain type of files? e.g. large files, with some specific extension, etc.

Reproduce the issue, open the ESS/EAV main window, toggle Standard to Advanced mode (Ctrl + M) and click Protection status > Statistics > Real-time file system protection > Last scanned object.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Further to the above advice, does the problem go away after disabling firewall? If so, enable logging blocked connections in the IDS section of the firewall setup, reproduce the problem and post back the relevant records from the firewall log.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.