ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 v3.0 Release Candidates available

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Marcos, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Holden4th

Holden4th Registered Member

When I used my Licence information I got the familiar (from beta 2) your 'firewall is not working' icon from Windows Security Centre in the taskbar. When I went back to the essbeta login/password combo this vanished. I tried this a couple of times with the same result. I notice that a couple of others have had similar problems as well.

2. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but it seems after a day that log files for Detected Treats and Events has gone without me deleting them. :eek:

3. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

That's right, I have the same and I feel it should stay there for logging purposes.

4. jpom18

jpom18 Registered Member

Does anyone know if the Interactive mode issue, where allow/deny prompts were not showing up, is fixed??

I installed ESS RC1 and it gave me a couple prompts and then nothing more would show up everything was just blocked, I rebooted and a couple more have come up since then but from what I have read in previous threads it typically works after a reboot for a while and then stops again.

I know that this has been an issue since beta 1 and I would hope that they would have it fixed by now, but it appears to me that they may not have.

5. ugly

ugly Registered Member

I do understand that . All IS's I install are doing the same thing. I have to redial my connection and that's all.
    The real problem here as you can see in my post is that ESS fails to install !!! ( ESS Wizard ended prematurely). And that is a bug .
    If , prior to install , I disconnect myself manually , I can install ESS.

6. superphysics

superphysics Registered Member

I installed and am using ESS Smart Security RC1 since it was released a few days back. I am a heavy LAN, wireless LAN, bluetooth LAN, and internet user and I face threats within my university network every hour of the day.

I have no idea why everyone is having so much trouble. I just uninstalled my NOD32 2.7 manually, and installed the RC. It worked. Simple as that.

All modules, including the firewall, have worked perfectly. I have had no system freezes (I am using Vista 32-bit on an AMD Turion X2 64-bit, which should be a recipe for disaster on such a software). The firewall's already caught 3 sniffing attempts (using Netscan) at my computer from different IP addresses, that, incidentally, my Comodo Firewall had failed to catch in an earlier test. I later verified with the owners of the IP addresses to check that if the alarms were false: they were't.

The AV portion is also working wonderfully. I fed it two viruses from a removable media drive that NOD32 2.7 hadn't been able to clean (only quarantine), but this actually cleaned them out.

I have had no troubles whatsoever. My logs work fine, and the Windows Security Center gives a clean bill of health.

On the other hand, a few colleagues to whom I recommended it have faced some problems.

I think I finally figured out why: the problem is Windows. People are too fond of experimenting, trying out different software and betas, surfing the net without security even for short whiles and messing around in general with comparatively little experience of undoing what they do. They inevitably end up with what I prefer to call to "fragmented Windows". Not file fragmentation, but small alterations to system files and positioning that accumulate over time to generate errors and problems of the kind that people are reporting on this forum.

I've been reading this forum very silently for a long time, but my advice now is: give Eset a rest. Before firing up the complaints and problems, try re-installing your Windows from scratch after formatting the system (if it isn't too much trouble) or at least repairing the system files with an over-install.

It worked for my colleagues. Hopefully, it'll work for all of you out there.

I am getting ESS (retail) the day it is released.

7. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

In a nice way it is nice to know I am not alone on this. Hopefully this glitch/bug will be resolved in the next RC.

8. petersteiner

petersteiner Registered Member

I couldn't get it to install either - the installer ends "prematurely". This bug exists since beta 1. In the former versions I somehow managed to install it by creating "ESET" folders but don't remember how it worked and don't want to waste time figuring it out. I guess the freezing problem with certain files still exists as well (old problem from 2.7).

Anyways, how can software that refuses to install be RC software? I posted about the installing problems after beta 1 and 2 but the programmers either don't care or are incompetent.

9. duca bianco

duca bianco Registered Member

10. petersteiner

petersteiner Registered Member

I just read some of the older posts about PPPoE having something to do with this. I don't even have a DSL connection of any flavor. I only go online over my cell phone (3G). The phone acts as a modem and is connected to the computer via Bluetooth (Broadcom 5.1 BT stack).

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

12. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

still have the bug that the virus signature shows 2549 in the protection status, but it shows 2548 in computer scan.

edit: after starting a scan both show the correct version

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  13. gH0StrId3R

gH0StrId3R Registered Member

about the license date thing

does it show in About??

14. Big Apple

No, it should show in: Protection Status

15. goksi75

goksi75 Registered Member

I just install ESET NOD32 v3.0 RC1 BUT I dont have Personal firewall

16. Big Apple

You'll have to install the ESS (Eset Security Suite). Now you have installed the AV.

17. goksi75

goksi75 Registered Member

yes,yes thanks mate

18. Big Apple

Been using Thunderbird as mailclient today and the 'mailtagging' problem is not active here! So, maybe just something with Vista Windows Mail or other clients and OS as well?
    In Vista Windows Mail still the tagging problem, but there's less added than before:

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2549 (20070925) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
    http://www.eset.com

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O? ??s?DDevice\HarddiskVolume2\Mijndoc\Windows Mail\Local Folders\Deleted Items\TempEsetAnt 2ae\26E901EB-00000002.eml:OECustomProperty

Perhaps there's being worked on?

19. lekillerderpg

lekillerderpg Registered Member

hi, all ;)

i don't understand well

ESET Smart Security v3.0
    it's an antivirus and a firewall o_O

ESET NOD32 v3.0
    it's just an antivirus o_O

thks for the reply :D

20. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

@lekillerderpg
    exactly - you nailed it :)-))

Ruben

21. ugly

ugly Registered Member

What's that ?

error.JPG

I've tryed to "clean" security center ( by deleting repository ... etc , restart) with no luck.

22. duca bianco

Try
    -start >execute > services.msc. From the list that you appears firm the service Instrumentation management windows
    Then you go in windows>sistem32>wbem and eliminates the folder repository.
    Hour repairs the service to you Instrumentation management windows and reboot
    Best regards

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  23. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Did that.See the end of my post.:ninja:

24. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

Yep, that's the same thing I mentioned a few days earlier on this thread and this morning it happened again.

25. duca bianco

:blink: :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.