ESET Smart Security 5 Registration - Breaking Windows

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by dizafrabadoo, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

I too am having a somewhat similar issue, however my system will start. There the problem begins. Once everything loads my computer totally freezes. Every time I have to do a hard reboot and the same thing happens. I removed SuperAntispyware (real-time), and Prevx to see if there were any conflicts. Same result. (freeze) I tried to get a memory dump but my entire system is inoperable. Long story short.., I had to use Acronis to return my system to a usable state which had ESET SS V4. All issues removed when SS V5 is removed.
    Note: I again tried to do a clean removal and install of V5 and again the same issues arise. I have since removed SS V5 as it will not allow my system to function.

System: Windows XP Pro SP3
    2Quad Core CPU
    Q6600@2.40GHz
    2.39GHz, 3.24 GB of RAM

I digress, Totally agree regarding "Matrix Leader! No need for disparaging remarks to "any" forum member! Take it elsewhere.:thumbd:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. ScoScorpio

ScoScorpio Registered Member

Marcos,not only win 7 64-bit,but also win 7 32-bit

3. ScoScorpio

Marcos,

the system just sit and wait forever with spinning "Welcome" wheel. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x86

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please confirm that you installed v5 on other than the system partition?

5. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

Hi Marcos, I'm sorry can you please simplify your question into "layman's terms" if I am not understanding you properly? What I think you are asking is if V5 was installed on Acronis partition instead of the "system partition"?? If that is the case, yes I can confirm that it was installed on the system partition and not Acronis created partition. I installed and uninstalled 3times resulting in the same instances! (total computer freeze)

Thanks for the quick response!:thumb:

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I think Marcos means did you install it on C: drive or on a different drive or partition
    Quite a few users keep windows ONLY on C: & have a seperate partition for program files/ User files /data/ movies etc

Quite a few programs do have varying degrees of problems when installed anywhere except the same partition that windows is installed in or even if program files is on c: partition but user data is on a different one

7. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

Oh ok, thanks for the "translation"! I do understand, yes V5 was installed on "C".

8. DarkAvenger

DarkAvenger Registered Member

Reinstalling the ESS v5 on drive C: fixes the problem for me - at least 4-5 reboots without lockups.

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I will try to get to this tonight. Here at work, I have Win 7 x86 with SP1 installed. Running ESS v5 with no problems.

At home I have the same but have x64 there. Will try it tonight and see how it goes.

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi Marcos,

Just installed it here on my home PC tonight. I used the full msi to install FYI and not the live installer.

ESS v5 on Win 7 X64 with SP1 and fully patched.

Installed to C drive, default settings (tweaking them later via advanced menu). Have rebooted and logged off and on a few times, no issues to report.

Thanks.

11. BryanW

BryanW Registered Member

I get the spinning welcome wheel.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
    Ethernet connection
    ESET installed on the system drive c:

Everything worked okay for one day. Then the internet connection went away when I was online as it often does. Afterwards, Windows logon stops at the spinning welcome wheel.

I rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled v5 and reinstalled v4.

My wife's computer with the same operating system, wireless connection, ESET on the system drive is still working okay with v5.

12. Marcos

Those having this issue please enable generation of dumps by opening the main setup (F5), navigating to Tools -> Diagnostic and changing the dump type to Complete memory dump. After you manage to reproduce the issue, check the folder containing memory dumps (%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Diagnostics). If some dumps have been created, compress them, upload them someplace and PM me the download link.

13. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

Me again! Once again I did a totally clean re install of V5 and was again unable to get any dumps. System would again freeze on me if I tried to open any program. Even SS would freeze up when attempting to update or going through the advanced settings tree. In every instance I would have to hard reboot. I had to once again resort to Acronis to restore my computer to a usable state. (V4 install) At this point I suppose I have no other choice but to stay with V4 until the mystery is solved!o_O :oops:

14. Marcos

We have made a dll that should address the issue with Windows 7 x64 freezing on system startup. Those who are interested in testing it, drop me a PM please.

15. BryanW

BryanW Registered Member

I reinstalled V5 and everything was okay until the internet connection stopped while using the computer. Everything was still okay until I rebooted. Normally the spinning welcome wheel is only present for a couple of seconds. When it kept spinning, I waited for over a minute, and finally the computer continued to boot and is operating normally. Perhaps those with spinning welcome wheels might try waiting for a while before giving up.

16. ScoScorpio

I waited for six hours,spinning welcome wheels forever,win 7 X86

17. Hebrews12v2

Hebrews12v2 Registered Member

Mine also breaks and has the endless "Welcome" Circle. One thing I have nit seen is that if you try to restart at the log in screen,I also get the endless circle of "Logging Off".

Mine is 64 bit, Wireless, and yes, I am trying to install to D: not C: as has been noted by others. I have a 64 GB SSD and cannot install anything but Windows to the C: on my laptop.

18. dizafrabadoo

dizafrabadoo Registered Member

On all 3 computers that Windows 7 freezes up after rebooting upon first install... they are all installed in a partition different than c:\

I'm installing to P:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security on all of my machines.

19. beastro

beastro Registered Member

I am having the same problem with the installation of SmartSecurity 5 on one of my PC's that previously ran version 4 without issues. The other Win7 64bit PC upgraded without problems

After installing on system partition the GUI does not start (also cannot be started manually) and also does not appear after a restart of the OS (WIN7 64-bit). Even worse it prevents other programs from starting at system start. I experienced the same issue on that PC while trying to install the V5 beta some months ago and had tried several things like uninstalling and reinstalling without success. I also notice that after installing V5, now the soundcard is not recognized anymore.

Regards

Berthold Hamburger

20. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

Now I don't feel so alone with this issue except it seems I'm the only XP user! Hope it gets resolved soon or someone can provide Marcos a dump. I am eagerly wanting to make the crossover to V5:doubt:

21. beastro

I might be able to provide a dump, as the OS actually starts up. It just stops at one point advancing with startup, but I can access other windows options. So if someone could tell me how to create a dump, I'll be happy to do so.

Berthold

22. starbuck_

starbuck_ Registered Member

have a look at post #32

23. beastro

Well, that won't work, as the Eset GUI never shows up. Otherwise I would not be posting here :D .

I can access other windows features if that would help...
    And I can access Eset Sysinspector

Regards

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  24. alan1476

alan1476 Registered Member

I have V5 running on Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, no problems at all, as a matter of fact I just extended my license for 2 years. The only problem I had was trying to install V5 over V4, i got a blue screen, I had to uninstall through Start , Programs ,uninstall and then reinstall V5, no problems since.

25. beastro

Actually, I can access registry editor. What would be the relevant registry key to enable the memory dump, so I can enable it without using the Eset GUI?

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.