Eset Smart Security 4.2.71.2 and File Sharing on MSWin7

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by brunos, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brunos

brunos Registered Member

ESET Smart Security (ESS) v4.2.71.2 & File Sharing on MSWin7 64-bit and Up-to-date OS:

Problem preamble:

01. For this experiment I create folder "A" on C: Partition on PC Desktop Computer with "Computer name" "PC1".
    Sharing is enabled on this folder "A" with "Everyone" and Permission to "Read/Write".
    On "Advanced Sharing" I limit the number of simultaneous users from 20 (default) to: 2.

02. I create folder "B" on C: Partition on PC Laptop Computer with "Computer name" "PC2".
    Sharing is enabled on this folder "A" with "Everyone" and Permission to "Read/Write".
    On "Advanced Sharing" I limit the number of simultaneous users from 20 (default) to: 2.

03. On both of this PCs, the same name of the workgroup is applied: "Workgroup"

04. On both of this PCs, MSWin7Ultimate 64-bit RTM OS Up-to-date and ESS v4.2.71.2 64-bit Up-to-date resides...

05. On both of this PCs, following ESS "Advanced Setup" is applied:
    a) Personal Firewall -> Filtering Mode: "Interactive Mode"

b) Personal Firewall -> Rules and Zones -> Trusted zone: "Allow Sharing"

c) Personal Firewall -> IDS and advanced options: All is setup by default all here = "Vista/Windows 7 services" are all
    engaged/checkmarked, except the "Allow multicast address resolution in the Trusted zone (LLMNR)" which only is not engaged.

d) Personal Firewall -> IDS and advanced options: All is setup by default all here = "Allowed services" have only 4 things
    engaged/checkmarked: "Allow file and printer sharing in the Trusted zone", "Allow incoming RPC communication in the Trusted zone",
    "Allow remote desktop in the Trusted zone" and "Allow response to ARP request from outside the Trusted zone".

06. Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings: "Home or Work" & "Public":
    all here is set by default to: "On"...

----------------------------------------

Problem explanation:

The 2 above mentioned sharing folders ("A" & "B") on both of this MSWin7 OS based PCs ("PC1" & "PC2") you can see only sometimes
    (very rare), most of the time you cannot see it over Home Network at all... :(
    Or, the "Shared folder" is sometimes available just for a few minutes only on one way, only on one Computer and not to vice-versa
    (on other computer in the opposite direction), and this very rare and (half)successful connection is almost every time then, very,
    very slow... :( :(
    To get worse, even the Internet connection is often totally unavailable over PC Computer laptop with "Computer name" "PC2"... :( :( :(

-----

THE LAN/UTP cables are checked for errors, also the Router is just fine, even the LAN Card Drivers are Up-to-date on both mentioned
    PC Computers...

The luck or no luck, I was even have opportunity to test over this all problem, even a totally third PC Computer laptop all here, with
    "Computer name" "PC3", and which already have MSWin7UltimateSP1RTM 64-bit installed...
    - Unfortunately, the same problem happened also all here with simple "Shared folder" issue, as in already above 2 mentioned PCs... :(

Furthermore, I test also even totally two more PCs all here (separate test only with a Router and those 2 more PCs), with MSWinXPSP3 32-bit
    and Up-to-date based OS and with newest available ESS, and the problem all here with a simple "Shared folder" simply does not exist,
    everything runs most superb, and with the same LAN/UTP Cables and also with the same Router which is also used for MSWin7 based PCs all
    here, which, in fact, only gives me a headache about "Shared folder" problemo...

Also important fact all here, when I put ESS Firewall mode on those 2 mentioned MSWin7 OS based PCs from "Interactive mode" to
    "Automatic mode" and restart this both PCs, everything after runs just fine, I really have normal access to "Shared folders"! :)
    But, when I put all back to "Interactive Mode", problem with "Shared folders" is again all here... :(
    ... It is very important, that the ESS on those both MSWin7 OS based PCs stays in "Interactive Mode", and not in "Automatic Mode",
    nor in "Automatic Mode with exceptions (user-defined rules)"...

If someone knows where the problem is, please help and advice!
    Thank You in advance!

P.S.: I also try to experiment with some very rare posted Forum notes over Net, about this particular "Shared folders" problem
    with ESS and MSWin7 OS = "Uncheck the two following default rules; Block Incoming NETBIOS Requests and Block Outgoing NETBIOS
    Requests" = this did not help me a lot to resolve my issue… :(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. DrewD

DrewD Eset Staff Account

Hi, have you ever tried Learning Mode, or disabling other options in the IDS settings, regarding this issue? Also if possible, perhaps you can contact support directly in order that we can go through some troubleshooting steps with you, and collect some log files, etc.

3. brunos

brunos Registered Member

First, thank You for your kindest reply!

Second, I will try first suggested with the Learning Mode.
    I spend whole few days of experiment all this which I described earlier,
    took me quite some time, but I was assure that I am doing something wrong...
    This is the reason in the first place why I was so detail in my describing right here, thoroughly described every detail, one by one and with hierarchy order... :)

Well, like I said, as soon I will get back with time, I will try do an "experiment" with the Learning Mode first as suggested..., funny, this did not comes to my mind earlier by myself... :)

And if that want help, I will contact Eset Support, and, for the others on WSF, make final reply here after...

Once more, thank You for your help &
    best regards to all on Wilders Security Forum,
    and if someone also has something to share about this problem,
    which is not yet suggested, please reply... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.