ESET Smart Security 3.0.642 released

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Marcos, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTRACER

PTRACER Registered Member

Sorry to ask a silly question, but I haven't found the answer anywhere...

When ESS was updated to 3.0.642, did people receive email notifications of this, or are the forum and the Eset website the only two sources of news? Do these updates not get downloaded when you update the virus definitions from within the program?

2. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

I learned of the update in this forum. I wish I would be notified, either through the program itself or via email, of progam updates like this.

3. sherryxp2000

sherryxp2000 Registered Member

Yes, an EMAIL would be very nice, OR at least the program update procedure itself should AUTOMATICALLY inform the user.

The "Always update program components" never works :(

4. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

Actually it works; monitor "About". Sometimes it actually tells you in "Events Log". Version Updates, like this, have never occurred automatically or even with a notification.

5. Handries

Handries Registered Member

Just noticed that the Dutch language version of ESET Smart Security 3.0.642 is available as well.
    Heb zo juist gemerk dat de Nederlandse versie van ESET Smart Security 3.0.642 nu ook beschikbaar is en het werkt prima.

6. am_dew

am_dew Registered Member

The help file says this about program updates:

Program component update
    The program component upgrade brings new features, or makes changes to those that already exist from previous versions. It can be performed automatically without user intervention, or you can choose to be notified. After a program component upgrade has been installed, restart may be required.

Never update program components
    program component updates will not be performed at all. This option is suitable for server installations, since servers can usually be restarted only when they are undergoing maintenance.

Always update program componentsa program component upgrade will be downloaded and installed automatically. Please remember that computer restart may be required.

Ask before downloading program components
    if there is a new program component upgrade available, the program will display a dialog window allowing you to download it.
    To me, this clearly makes one think that the program would either:

1. Never update -or-
    2. Update automatically -or-
    3. Notify you when an upgrade is available
    Am I reading this wrong?

7. sherryxp2000

That's what it looks like to me, but I have yet to see it ever happen.

8. patch

patch Registered Member

My understanding was the updates are staged by ESET because
    1) Bugs are sometimes found when an update is released to the public
    2) Servers wouldn't handle the load if every user upgraded at the same time

As such ESET release a program upgrade for manual download first.
    If that goes OK then they progressively upgrade remaining users via the automatic upgrade (within a product ie not between 2.7 and 3.0)

But then again I may have misinterpreted earlier posts

9. flash7

flash7 Registered Member

what about the problem with firefox?

10. sherryxp2000

Yes I can definitely understand that, and had that thought in that back of my mind. But a MASS EMAIL should be done also.

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

What problem with Firefox?

I've not had time to get to Wilders of late. However I'm glad to see they released another update. I will have to update my machines at home over the weekend to see how they perform.

12. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Are you talking about this problem? Firefox Problem
    If so, I think they were able to fix it using Hitech's suggestion. I don't know for sure though. I never had the problem myself.

13. patch

patch Registered Member

Easiest way for them to do that would be a locked version announcement / change log thread which we could all subscribe too. First entry could clarify the public release sequence as this seam to be a recurrent issue.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Installed over the top of 3.0.621, no problems to report so far. Thanks Eset.

15. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

In the`Outpost Firewall forum, there is a new release notification thread maintained by the forum moderators. (Only the moderators can post there). You can subscribe to this thread to receive an email notification when a new entry is made.

A similar thread in this forum for ESS and NOD32 would be very useful.
    How about it moderators? ;)

16. sherryxp2000

Well what do you know, out of the blue today I got a program module update. It was the Antivirus and antispyware scanner module. Now says 1107 (20080303) in the About window. I can see now, that SOME of my modules have gotten updated in the past, so that is working. Just never a major release has been updated automatically.

Anyways, this makes me feel better.

17. wiak

wiak Registered Member

it will update it self
    and as you said it havnt updated to a major build like from 3.0.621 to 3.0.642
    but it does update its modules, so it might be that modules dont report version or something anyway, EAV/ESS is great ^^

18. ToddFibertek

ToddFibertek Registered Member

Can i push install this without uninstalling the previous version? That would rock something awesome if it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.