ESET Smart Security 3.0.642 : firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Fgh, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fgh

    Fgh Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    Posts:
    29
    Location:
    France
    Hi,

    Honestly, is the firewall of ESET Smart Security 3.0.642 a good firewall ?
     
  2. proactivelover

    proactivelover Registered Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2006
    Posts:
    840
    Location:
    Near Wilders Forums
    Honestly ESET Smart Security v3.0.642 is good AV+Firewall+Antispam
     
  3. Edwin024

    Edwin024 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2004
    Posts:
    1,000
    The tests on the web conclude differently... The firewall is nothing better than the Windows Firewall so it seems.
     
  4. kC_

    kC_ Registered Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Posts:
    452
    if in automatic mode, then that is the idea yes

    if in interactive or policy mode, then its nothing like windows firewall, as it allows for outbound control of applications & ports
     
  5. ASpace

    ASpace Guest


    You people should understand that ESET Smart Security is system to protect you . It is not a simple bundle . It is not a piece of antivirus + some anti-spam + some firewall = 3 modules different . NO! It is a security suit which 4 modules are tightly integrated . One of the modules cannot save you . Two of the modules still can't . But the combo of the 3 protections (firewall+AV+AS) can ! The firewall in ESS is made to:
    - keep hackers / intruders /network worms out
    - perform basic program connection control
    - supplement the Antivirus and Antispyware protections and hide their weak places

    When you have excellent AV with generally 95%+ detection , excellent proactive ability , when you are safe from hackers , the other (<5%) can be done by the firewall module in ESS . And still there is no 100% protection .

    So , if the question is:

    then the answer is definitely -> Yes , it is :thumb:
     
  6. shansmi

    shansmi Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Posts:
    130
    I agree and I will say this. Before running ESS I was using AVG 7.5 Pro and was very happy until I could not get my Xbox media sharing working. I tried to much to discuss that further. I tested every popular ISS on the market today listed in all the reviews of PC magazine and with most of the firewalls in interacitve/learn mode I could not get every thing working until I hit ESS. So far ESS it is the ONE and ONLY ISS that allowed everything to work with a few simple steps...

    running the install in advanced mode to put the firewall in interactive mode and then following all the prompts......

    it learned all the things below without a hitch (** notes a failure on the other apps):

    **Windows Mobile Device center v6.1
    **MS File and Prinet Sharing
    **Media Sharing with WMP
    **Media Sharing to my Xbox 360
    **NTP
    **UpNP & SSDP so I can see my router under Network Connections

    Zune
    Sidebar using Accuweather
    Outlook 2007
    IE7
    Various Program Auto updaters (ran through them all after install to get them all learned)

    Watching the firewall logs with all blocked traffic logged in both programs, they are very similar - only real difference I see is the name of the rules used for blocking.....or what type of attack was blocked etc....I know all of them see my cable boxes that constantly ARP as an ARP attack (we have Verizon FiOS which is a Fiber Service to the House for cable TV, Internet and Phone with all the cable boxes on the IP network behind a NIM but they contsantly ARP to get the TV Guide/ppv stuff etc).....

    The only things I have noticed that are real wierd is AVG7 and AVG8 find almost 1MIL files when they scan but ESS only finds ~600K...not real sure why - seems like a permissions thing and those programs also have no errors with EXE installers and ZIP files either - again maybe a permissions thing but all are ran under an account with adminstrator priveledges.....
     
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.