Eset Service Needs To Close

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ron_c, Nov 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

Everytime I start my computer,after everything loads,I receive the message "Eset Service has encounted a problem and needs to close...." When I click to see what has closed it's always "AppName ekm.exe, ModName ntdll.dll". This started about 2 weeks ago. What does ekm.exe do and how do I correct this problem?

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

what is the OS, 32/64 bit? is a system startup file check task enabled or any other scheduled scan?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you already have the latest version 4.2.64 installed and are able to reproduce the crash at any time, continue as follows:
    - download ProcDump from here
    - disable self-defense and restart the computer
    - run the following command: "procdump -e -ma ekrn"
    - when ekrn crashes, compress the dump created

Let me know when done so that I can provide you with further instructions.

4. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

I just checked my notes and I uninstalled Spyware Doctor version 7.0xxx and installed version 8.xxx and this is about the same time that I started receiving the message about Eset Service closing down. I'm going to uninstall version 8 and go back to version 7 to see if this corrects the problem. I'll report the finding after this is done and have used my computer for a day or so.

5. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

Update

Ok, I uninstalled Spyware Doctor v8 and still I get the message about ESET Service needs to close and it's ekm.exe.

I downloaded ProDump.

I unchecked Self-Defense and restated my computer.

I then extracted the files from the zip ProDump and have tried to run the command you listed above, but Windows says it can't locate ProDump.

Doing a search for ProDump it doesn't find anything listed.

ekm.exe still will crash each time but it's never at the same time, most of the time it within 30 minutes after turning on the computer but sometimes it might be in the afternoon.

I have also received an message that POP3 and HTTP has encounted a problem and needs to close. When this happens my internet connection is dead in the water and I have to reboot to get things back working again. Yesterday I had to reboot 4 times because of the POP3 and HTTP closing down. This doesn't happen very often about every 3rd day or so.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's not prodump, but procdump.exe.

7. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

Ooops, meant ProcDump and not ProDump. Windows says it can't find it and shows to in a temp file but still can't run it.

8. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

Finally, after over a dozen tries, dawn on me when the zip was opened and files extracted it was putting the program in another location and c:\ was somewhere else. Moved procdump to that location and now it worked. Now just waiting for ekm to close again to send dump.

9. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

UPDATE.

It's been 3 days now and I haven't received the message about Eset Service needs to close. At first I thought it was when I upgraded Spyware Doctor to v8, but with the program uninstalled I still received the closing message, so that wasn't it. I was also receiving a message about another program's file that needed to close and I looked at that programs forum and it seems people are having problems with the latest version of that program. It was causing programs to close, like the message I received, IE8 to freeze often, which I was also having problems with it freezing. When I removed the program (don't even use the program) everything has worked as it should for the last 3 days.

So, lets close this thread and say that everything is now fixed.

Thanks for you time.

10. ron_c

ron_c Registered Member

I spoke too soon, as again today, Eset Services needed to close. This appears to be happening with IE 8 as I'm having problems with IE 8 hanging or crashing my computer several times a day and for the last several days have been using FireFox instead and it appears I don't have a problem with Eset Services closing when using FireFox.

I uninstalled IE 8 and went back to IE 7 to see if that would stop the hanging and crashes and while it appears to have stopped hanging or crashing it's very slow and today while using IE 7 again Eset Services encounted a problem and needed to close. I had on procdump and it made a dump file which I put in a folder and compressed the folder and am in need of help on what to do next.

Thanks

UPDATE

Today, 11-20-10, while using FireFox, Eset Services encountered a problem and needed to close, so it does it with both browers.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.