Eset Service error message

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bodgy, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have ESS 3.0.667.0 and XPpro with SP3.

Over the past week, I've been getting a messagebox with "Eset Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry etc etc"

The error information is szApp: ekrn.exe ModName: mswsock.dll ModVer 5.1.2600.5512 offset:0x0001b2c2

When I click close, I lose internet access for a minute or so, and then I assume the service must restart.

The error does show up in EventViewer, so I'm not sure if SP3 has changed mswinsock.dll or if there is some corruption either with ESS or mswinsock.

Anyone else having this problem, and is ESS actually still working properly? Task Manager reckons so, but........

Colin

Perhaps should add I'm using Safari for Windows as my browser.

2. rhazbun

rhazbun Registered Member

I'm having the exact same problem. Here is the information copied from my event log.

Faulting application ekrn.exe, version 3.0.667.0, faulting module mswsock.dll, version 5.1.2600.5625, fault address 0x0001b2fa.

Have you found a solution to this problem yet ?

3. gmazeroff

gmazeroff Registered Member

I have also been getting the same message. Here are the details from the Windows Event log:

Faulting application ekrn.exe, version 3.0.669.0, faulting module mswsock.dll, version 5.1.2600.5625, fault address 0x0001b2fa.

If it's of any help, I am running Windows XP SP3.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In case of any problems, please always try uninstalling the program completely and installing the latest version from the download page (3.0.672).

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have previously uninstalled and re-installed 3.0.672.

I'm still having a problem but the 'error' has changed - it now tells me that it can't find a 'proxy server' (I don't use one) and that POP3 and HTTP protocols will not be monitored. During this message internet access is blocked - after clicking OK, and clicking refresh on the browser or mail client (PocoMail) , everything seems to work again.

Looking in Event Viewer (XP) I still have the following error.

Faulting application ekrn.exe, version 3.0.672.0, faulting module mswsock.dll, version 5.1.2600.5625, fault address 0x0001b2fa.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Note the sub version number has changed as has the address offset.

The category according to XP is 100 and the Event ID is 100

I have just noticed that there are multiple entries for a source called ESENT, this would appear to have something to do with XP's search indexing and database, just after the event of :

SearchIndexer (708 ) The database engine 5.01.2600.5512 started. this has an event ID of 100 followed by an entry

Windows (708 ) Windows: The database engine started a new instance (0).

Then it seems more often than not the ESET error follows.

Colin

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you have Windows XP, try the following:
    1, uninstall ESS
    2, download and run WinsockFix
    3, install the latest version of ESS (3.0.672)

Please let us know if it resolves the issue.

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Have done the above, that seems to have fixed it for the moment.

Thanks

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.