ESET RC1 Long startup time

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by bseos, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bseos

bseos Registered Member

When ever i startup the computer, ESS takes a long time to startup. The splash screen sticks around for about 20 seconds. It seems like it is waiting for windows to establish an internet connection.

I have read the previous thread concerning the same issue but there hasn't been a proper fix posted.
    Is there anyway to disable it from waiting for an established connection on startup? [That is, if it is waiting for an established internet connection]

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Bseos

802.11a/b/g Intel Wireless
    Asus F3jv M/B

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi.

I've haven't experienced any start up (or shut down) problems on either Vista or XP with the recent RC1. I always disable showing the splash screen at startup in the options section.

Have you defraged your drive after installing? I suggest using a third party tool such as Perfect Disk 8. Also, are you aware of what other startups you have at the moment and if all of them are necessary?

3. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

in v2.7 you could change the connection type to dial-up, even if you had broadband, this allowed all network connections to be enabled first before trying to contact the update servers.

With v3 if you install in Expert mode you can choose this option, however once installed I am unable to locate in the advanced setup the option to manually change this.

If someone can let you know the location of this change try it and it should make all the difference.

Jon

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

If you have a prior installation of ESS, you should delete all program files and files for ESET in Documents and Settings or whatever in Vista. Then reinstall ESS.

I had the same problem for a time until I cleaned out the remnants of a prior ESS install. After that, it is as fast as lightning and my machine is much older and slower than yours.

Also look into WinPatrol Plus where you can delay startups and see what is starting up. There are probably some programs/services that do not need to start at boot and you can adjust those with WinPatrol Plus. In adition, it adds some additional protection and is not expensive.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  5. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Look, honestly, this is a common problem, and not just with Eset products. It's a common Windows 'issue', that plagues us all as we all load more and more 'stuff' at startup. If the network connection is not properly established, especially with wireless, it can cause havoc with all kinds of things - AV's looking for updates and a ton of programs doing automatic update checks, as most of us don't remember to turn these off. We all think that having all automatic update checking possible turned on is a great idea, but all it does is slow everything down when we need the operating system to load as fast as possible. Startup programs can also (and do...) 'bump into each other', causing other errors including memory exceptions.

Try this...it helps...a lot...and it's genuine freeware (with NO spyware!!)...

http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay&PHPSESSID=2a98703364bed534d3b0c57bfe099d95

Remember to use the latest Beta of this product (link at top of page), and reorder the startup's according to the time delay you assign.

Let us know if it helps.

6. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

disabling the splash screen will not improve performance, ESS will still attempt to connect to the LAN before it's fully up, the only time you save is the time it takes to load and display the graphic which is going to be so tiny and if your worried about that amount of time well then...

7. bseos

bseos Registered Member

Well thanks for your post but i do not see a need for this program. I dont know how it will benefit me in anyway. My overall startup time for windows from a cold boot is under 5 seconds, where everything is loaded except of course for ESS and the wireless connection that still needs established.

8. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

I have found out that there is a bug in the current release in that once the software is installed that you cannot change the connection type from LAN to Dial-up.

Currently the only way to set this is during the install and select the expert mode, the developers have been made aware of this problem.

I suggest trying to do a re-install and make the change in settings.

Current beta at http://www.eset.eu/download/beta

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.