ESET NOD32 v12

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FanJ, Oct 23, 2018.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

Pre-release updates have caused issues with my Win 10 build in the past. As a result, I never have the option enabled.

I believe Eset's stance is to only use them after a quick problem fix has been pushed to the servers and you want an immediate solution to the issue you are having.

Now that Eset has moved to PICO module updating which can be pushed at any time, I really think pre-releases will only be used for complete version upgrades.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

A note of reminder for ESET users who may not have experienced this, or may not have even checked to see if it has happened... sometimes upgrades will change some of your personal settings. I know, it's not "supposed" to happen, but it does. Having experienced this more than a time or two over the years, I now update one machine, then carefully compare all configurations to the machine that has not been updated yet. Yes, this is a very time consuming way to go about it, but I have learned that this is what I must do if I want to be sure that none of my settings have "reverted" to a default.

4. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

A question_ I recently installed v11 to see how it ran on my machine and it automatically started a scan which was still running over two and a half hours later. Is this normal? Is this just an initial scan and any further scans are of a more normal time span? I have been using EAM for years and my license is almost up but I am hesitant to renew as it seems to be getting too dumned down for my liking.

5. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

The initial scan is usually much more longer than subsequent scans. This is normal behavior

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thanks for heads up @Page42
    I rechecked my settings and didn't find anything changed :thumb:

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Welcome. :thumb:
    Sorry, I haven't kept track over time precisely what changed, but with certainty I can say that settings do seem to revert to default every now and then.
    Great suggestion, and will do next time. TY!

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

@Minimalist

Hi Minimalist,
    May I ask you a question about a post you made in a CCleaner thread. My question is not about CCleaner but about Eset's HIPS.
    Your post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...rust-alternatives.396801/page-16#post-2789362

May I ask:
    Was that default HIPS setting, or an advanced setting (which "modus" of HIPS)?
    If not default, which exact rule(s) did you use to get those warning(s)?

Many thanks in advance.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

In other words, was a user HIPS rule created to monitor modification in this registry area? Or did Eset HIPS trigger this alert w/o one?

11. Minimalist

No I didn't create any specific HIPS rule. All I did was changed filtering mode from Automatic to Smart. Maybe in that mode HIPS is configured to ask user about changes to that registry key.

12. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks for your reply!

13. itman

itman Registered Member

Eset "beefed up" a lot of internal stuff in ver. 10. Nice to see HIPS Auto mode detections were one of them.

MalwareBytes has a good article on AutoURLConfig hijacking here: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/detections/hijack-autoconfigurl/

As to whether anyone should trust CCleaner anymore, I though that answer was rather obvious.

14. Minimalist

@FanJ You're welcome :)

@itman - I've read about those hijackers in past. Personally I don't think that CCleaner ( and uTorrent also ) wants to hijack proxy settings in this case. Both of them try to delete that registry key and not modify it. Still it's disturbing to see software performing such actions without exactly knowing why would they try to do this.

15. itman

itman Registered Member

Perhaps the question is why AutoConfigURL value exists in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\S-1-5-21 ....\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Internet Settings registry key? It does not on my Win10 x(64) 1803 build. There is however a subordinate reg. key there named Wpad.

Perhaps this is something uTorrent does?
    https://securelink.be/blog/windows-proxy-settings-explained/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  16. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi @itman and @Minimalist,

Am I now misreading or misunderstanding things?
    Minimalist wrote:
    "All I did was changed filtering mode from Automatic to Smart".

17. Minimalist

It doesn't exist on my system also. It looks like both programs try to delete that key just in case it did exist.

18. Minimalist

Yes it is Smart mode that I'm using and not Automatic.

19. itman

itman Registered Member

Let's backup a bit.

The Eset alert you received indicated CCleaner was trying to "access" this registry key. How did you verify that CCleaner was actually trying to delete the registry key? Did you verify this using Process Monitor log?

Eset HIPS in regards to registry access has the following options:
    • Delete
    • Rename
    • Modify
    It additionally has a option for monitoring of reg. keys associated with startup areas such as run keys and the like. Finally and I believe applicable in this case, it has an option to monitor all registry access against a specific registry key. All registry access would include any attempted key read or creation access.

What I believe occurred is CCleaner was attempting read access to the registry key in question to verify if it existed. Why, I have no idea. This is what the Eset default HIPS rule detected. It appears Eset will only allow access to this registry key by select system and app processes; most likely trusted apps that can establish a proxy.

One other important point to note that I discovered through testing. The Eset HIPS cannot prevent a specific reg. key value from being created, modified, etc.; at least in prior versions it couldn't. I haven't tested same in ver. 12. This means the above stated monitoring actions apply to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\S-1-5-21 ....\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings only; not to any specific activity in regards to AutoConfigURL value contained within. In other works, any reg. key access of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\S-1-5-21 ....\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings would have triggered an alert.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  20. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

But the question might be whether it is a wise decision to use it in all circumstances, maybe in particular after an upgrade (new version).
    Let's say a new version is released. Before installing it you export your ESET configuration settings (using an .xml file).
    You install the new version.
    Then you import your saved configuration from the previous version into the new version.
    But maybe ESET has made changes in the configuration that you don't want to miss.

Little example:
    About LiveGrid in version 11.0.159 : see replies 80 - 85 in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/eset-nod32-v11.397505/page-4
    There was a small issue because the option "Turn off "ESET LiveGrid is not accessible"" was missing.
    Later it was corrected in version 11.1.42. See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/eset-nod32-v11.397505/page-6#post-2745515
    If you would have imported your config settings from 11.0.159 into 11.1.42 then you would have missed this correction, I guess ....

Am I now right or wrong?

PS: you could export your config settings before and after the upgrade into two different .xml files and compare those two files (for example with BeyondCompare or any other comparing tool).

21. itman

itman Registered Member

Overall, there usually isn't an issue.

What you have to watch out for is when Eset does a major redesign to the GUI as happened in ver. 10 with the "Metro" formatting. This caused all existing ver. 9 HIPS rules to become invalid to internal formatting changes. And what really sucked was Eset never did provide a converter for these old ver. 9 rules. If you had existing ver. 9 HIPS user rules, they all had to be entered again manually.

22. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,
    OK, so do I understand you right that even for that small example I gave about the LiveGrid issue I gave, there wouldn't have been an issue?
    Do I understand you right that even after importing the config settings from version 11.0.159 into 11.1.42 you would still have the missing option "Turn off "ESET LiveGrid is not accessible"" (missing in 11.0.159) in 11.1.42 (in which it was fixed). I can hardly believe it, but I haven't tested it, so I could be wrong.
    Is that what you're saying? Am I misunderstanding you (which, of course, could be possible!)? (yes, I know, it was only a little example).

23. itman

itman Registered Member

It depends on how you look at the issue.

I assume Eset purposely eliminated the option since it is a security feature. That is to warn if there is an issue with LiveGrid connectivity. On this issue, I never did fully understand what the problem was since I have never experienced it; at least on a persistent basis. I believe the "fix" was to now only notify when LiveGrid is not accessible for a long period; like an hour or so. And frankly, I don't believe that was the correct thing to implement.

24. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi itman,
    Your thoughts are always appreciated.

I guess so, yes.

It was more of an example. I wanted to raise the question whether it is always, in all circumstances, a wise decision to put back a previous config .xml file, in particular after a version upgrade.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  25. Minimalist

No I didn't use Process Monitor to log what was happening in background.
    You can check my screenshot in this post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...rust-alternatives.396801/page-16#post-2789362
    When I tried to create a permanent rule and I used Advanced options, option Only for operation: Delete from registry was already set by ESET. So by this I concluded that program tried to delete that key. In Only for target section that key was the most specific one so I don't think that any other action triggered this.
    From that prompt I created rule that prevents deleting that specific key by those two apps. After that I got no more prompts from ESET's HIPS about accessing or deleting any registry key.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.