ESET/Nod32 NOT Detecting Viruses

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Lyndi, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndi

Lyndi Registered Member

I wrote to customer support and they sent me an auto reply with a link to your forum.

I'm a bit of a computer guru, but this one has me stumped. I became concerned with ESET/Nod32, when it failed to ever find anything on my office computer - not even a scrap of malware. The antivirus program races through the files and comes up clean in about a half an hour.

So, I downloaded AVG8 (free) and decided to do some testing. I already have Asquared up to date on my office machine, so I decided to test it too.

I deliberately downloaded the following three nasty guys: AdwareGeneric3.JGU,TrojanhorseDownloader.Wimad.ET, and TrojanhorseDropper.VB.OX.

Grisoft AVG8 screamed while I was downloading the viruses. I rescanned with AVG and told it to leave the files where they were. Then I turned AVG off at it's core, so it couldn't interfere with ESET/Nod32.I ran ESET on the folder in which I'd put the viruses. ESET DID NOT find anything! Then I ran Asquared on the folder and even Asquared immediately identified all three.

I rebooted and tried ESET/Nod32 again. Again it found NOTHING.I completely deleted the three files manually, reactivated AVG and ran it as a "just in case." My computer came up clean.

Do you have any idea why ESET/Nod32 is NOT working on this computer? The files are up todate etc. Please let me know if you have a fix for this. I'm running Windows XP Pro and did a clean install about a month ago.

Thank you.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So what is the latest definition number you have?

3. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Not another "i've found files NOD didn't detect" thread..... Don't these people read the other threadso_O

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

How do you know that those files were actually malicious? The fact that something is detected by one or more AVs doesn't make the file malicious. If we got the files and confirmed they are malicious, the question would be how big the chance is that users would encounter them. I always wonder how it's possible to asses and compare products based on a few deliberately picked up files as there are dozens of thousands examples where we could prove the opposite.

Please send the samples in a password protected archive to samples[at]eset.com with this thread's url in the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.