ESET nightmare!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by michail, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michail

michail Registered Member

In my recently upgraded Fujitsu Siemens Amilo with Windows XP Home Edition, I tried ESET. I liked it as it worked smoothly. Then I purchased the ESET software and installed it. Before that I had removed the trial version. I installed ESET last Tuesday and by last Friday afternoon my lap top gave me a blue screen with a message informing me that the physical memory has been successfully dumped! All my efforts to restart the computer were for vain until Sunday evening when it regained "consciousness." I managed to delete ESET and now I am trying to figure out if I should reinstall ESET or first delete some windows security updates that had been automatically installed. I am afraid that they may interfere with ESET, ending up in this big mess. An IT expert told me to reinstall windows and everything else. But without ESET my lap top seem to be working properly. I am still waiting for suggestions from the person who sold me the ESET software here in Helsinki. I really don't know what to do. I have purchased a security software that unfortunately gives me quite a hard time as I can't get on line. Plus I am in constant fear that the computer will go "blue" anytime!
    PLEASE, if someone has reliable information or encountered similar problems, please let me know how to proceed.
    Best,
    Micha

2. element119

element119 Registered Member

re-read your post and saw that my response was way off

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  3. frank_jarle

frank_jarle Registered Member

I never had any issues with NOD32 on XPx64 and 8GB of memory, however i had issues with ESS on my system where i got the following error msg:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with the faulting file epfwtdi.sys

Frank
    Norway

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I am not familiar with the Fujitsu Siemens Amilo line of notebook computers, however, if it was recently upgraded then it might have device drivers on it for the network interface card that are quite old.

What you might want to try doing is downloading the latest device drivers for your network interface card from Fujitsu Siemens or the actual network interface chipset card vendor's web site and install them before reinstalling ESET Smart Security on the computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. michail

Thank you but how shall I connect to the Internet to download things without a security software for protection?

6. michail

Sorry! and another thing: how come my lap top worked fine with the trial version and it encounters serious problems with the purchased software?
    Thanks,

Michail

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This is unlikely, if not impossible. The only difference between a trial and full version is a different username/password, nothing else.

8. michail

Thank you moderators for your support. As you probably have guessed I am not an IT wizard.

If you take a quick look at
    http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/downloads.html
    you will see a chipset driver. I dowloaded this trying to follow your suggestion but after I had downloaded ESET. Should I delete and re-install ESET once again? Should I download other drivers? I had downloaded a driver for wlan a month ago.
    Now the computer works ok but a bit slow.

Thank you.

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The Fujitsu Siemens Amilo line of notebooks seems to contain thirteen different classes, each of which has from one to twenty model numbers, so I am not sure which specific notebook to which you refer, but here is a general troubleshooting step you can take:

1. Download all of the latest device drivers for your notebook's chipset, video card, WLAN, network interface card and if they are separate from the chipset, for the hard disk driver controller and processor. Note that newer drivers may be available from the chip manufacturer (ALI, AMD, Broadcom, Intel, Marvell, nVidia, SIS, VIA et cetera) then from Fujitsu Siemens.
    2. Download a fresh copy of ESET Smart Security (currently at 3.0.669.0).
    3. Save or print out a copy of Microsoft knowledgebase article 299357, "How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP."
    4. Disconnect your computer from the Internet.
    5. Uninstall the currently installed version of ESET Smart Security. Reboot, even it not prompted to after the uninstallation.
    6. Install the device drivers for the chipsets, rebooting after each installation (even it not prompted to).
    7. Reset the network stack per the Microsoft knowledge base article. Again, you should reboot after doing so.
    8. Reinstall ESET Smart Security from your freshly-downloaded copy.
    9. Reconnect to the Internet.
    You should now be up and running with the latest drivers for your computer and ESET Smart Security.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.