ESET Needs to Implement Seq File updating

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SpenceQ, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpenceQ

SpenceQ Registered Member

I note that when ESET 5 updates and gets interrupted, the next opportunity starts downloading from the beginning. On a dialup system, this is annoying and disrupts processing. Downloads could be 16meg in length.

ESET should adopt a checkpoint system when downloading to dialup systems. In this system the file needs to be sequential. Every so many bytes/records a checkpoint is logged to establish position within the write file. This check point info is small and could be recorded in cookies, or stored in the ESET subdirectory. On the next download opportunity of the same file, the file is opened and the last checkpoint point found by spooling forward. Writes start at the checkpoint appending data, then download of new data follows.

This is a system used in the old days for large financial updates when parity errors were encountered on magnetic tape. Restarts would recover from the last checkpoint thus saving a lot of process time.

---------------------------------------------------

As an aside and another issue. Microsoft is ignoring the update option I set ie: "notify me but don't download". And if anyone can tell me how to stop MS from downloading Canon updates along with MS I would appreciate it.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Your feature request to resume incomplete downloads of virus signature database updates has been forwarded to ESET's product management for consideration in a future release of the software.

You might want to look around https://connect.microsoft.com/ for reporting bugs to Microsoft.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.