ESET Internet security products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Oleg, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Hmm, I have just reinstalled Windows 7, did all the Windows updates, installed NOD32 8.0.304.0 and tested a few streaming videos on IMDB and YouTube and there was no stuttering or the usual buffering hangs I used to get before. that's on Cyberfox Browser (based on Firefox as well) with all my add-ons. So I guess somehow the issue is fixed.

2. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

This is a very interesting thread.

Just wanted to say that I learned a lot from it.

I have nothing to contribute.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i also just installed it on a fresh windows 7 x64 install and still have massive buffering issues. so its not fixed for everyone

4. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Please work with ESET to resolve this as I do want it fixed for everyone and your logs / settings which you provide to ESET will surely help. Let's help polish up an excellent and one of only few products that still didn't get demolished by bad GUI, useless features, etc.

5. Krond

Krond Registered Member

Yesterday, I´ve installed a fresh Win 8.1. Out of the box, no other programs. First I installed ESET and the breakdown of speed was existing.

@Marcos I´ll contact you on Esets Forum.

Today I´m on a Network with Gigabit connection. Here the results with/without webfilter....

Attached Files:

6. zfactor

yup it cuts my speed even more than in half.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've supplied Krond with instructions how to generate logs that will help us understand what's going on on systems where the issue manifests. I'll keep you updated about the progress.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's good to see that you guys are now working with ESET on this. Fingers crossed :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

@Marcos
    Excellent customer service :thumb:
    One of the reasons some of my hard earned pay goes ESET's way :)

10. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Marcos is the ESET Knight, all over the forums and assists in big or small concerns!

11. Krond

Krond Registered Member

I´ve generated all logs and sent them to @Marcos. I hope Marcos and/or Eset can find any hint to correct this problem.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

working like a charm for me

13. cobrafirefly

cobrafirefly Registered Member

Ugh, I messed around a bit with speedtest.net as well. Was getting between 13Mbps and 16Mbps with web filter turned off, and 6-9 Mbps with it turned on. Le sad...

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

with a 24Mbps connection testing at Speedtest I am getting a average of 25.7Mbps on downloads. Don't always put it on your AV, there are so many things that come into play with broadband. From how many connections are tied to each port at the main trunk line in your neighborhood to time of day. The fewer connections from homes your provider puts on each switch will give you more consistent and higher speeds along with high internet traffic periods compared to low ones. With Windstream on their 24 package they purposely keep the number low so not to effect our speeds. On the lower speeds they have a tendency to max those connections for each port that can drastically make your download speeds a lot slower especially at times when a lot of homes in your area are using the internet.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  15. Marcos

16. Krond

Krond Registered Member

Hmmm, Speed 150 Mbits down, then webfilter on, ~80 Mbits down, then webfilter off, 150 Mbits down, turn webfilter on, ~80 Mbits down...each time, I tried. But it´s not the webfilter from the AV, you think? Very interessting. Tell me more!

17. Marcos

Krond has confirmed that temporarily uninstalling ESS and installing EAV resolved the issue. Could also somebody else confirm this? What about setting TCPAckFrequency to 2 and restarting the computer (with ESS installed)?

18. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

If you remember Marcos (I don't think you do coz it's been a while) I requested a downgrade from ESS to EAV due to internet slow down issues which ESET honored and extended my EAV license validity due to the downgrade. Awesome customer service but I did have similar issue with ESS

19. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Just put NOD32 on two PC. Have no issues streaming.

20. zfactor

not sure. ive tested and retested may times and i get the same result on multiple machines. i was hoping marcos would shoot me a pm or tell me what he needs me to send him logs wise. but for me this has not been resolved. i actually have a customer who called me yesterday not knowing anything about the issue telling me she was having the same problems and i had just installed eset ess on her laptop a couple weeks prior. i stopped by on my way home yesterday and we just for the sale of testing uninstalled eset and problem went away after the next reboot. she was not super happy at that point so for now i installed something else for her and she is having no issues. again know i love eset and have since v2 i honestly have a really hard time saying anything bad at all about it but this is a problem i see. as well as the upload speeds being cut WAY back.

marcos shoot me a pm and let me know what you would like me to send you.

21. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Well it seems that ESET has gone the way of other companies that
    have got to big for their britches. Their web site is a nightmare.
    Go on it and look for yourself.
    I had ess_nt32_enu and had to reinstall it and all I got was
    ESET Smart Security 8.
    The cure ESET gave me was to run a program that they said could
    damage some Net files. Great just the kind of help I need.
    Their going to lose a lot of customers over this and I am one of
    them. Good reason NOT to buy long term contracts with anyone.
    If you want to see a nightmare just take a look at their web site.

22. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

@ Shankle
    I have made ESET aware of your post and concerns. ESET Staff will be by to address these as soon as time permits.
    Please visit or Register at the official support Forum:
    https://forum.eset.com/

23. Marcos

@ Shankle
    It's not clear to me what the problem is. ESET Live Installer for home products downloads the latest version 8 which is correct as this version provides best protection against threats. If you've run into an issue when you need to reinstall ESS and the original msi file has been removed from the c:\windows\installer folder in the mean time, you can use the ESET Uninstall tool to remove it completely in safe mode before installing v8 from scratch. I assume this is the tool you referred to but nobody has ever had issues using it. There's a slight chance that running it may brake network communication but this is caused by the fact that on Windows Vista+ the network adapters have to be removed during uninstallation and installed again. If you use a static IP address or have DNS server configured manually, you would need to configure the adapter after running the tool.
    Should you have any further issues, please contact us via the official forum https://forum.eset.com where you will get better attention.

24. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Thank you Marcos for responding.
    I was an ardent user of ESET until this latest fiasco.
    I sent a message to ESET and they responded about my using the ESET Uninstall tool.
    Their comments about it fouling up settings in the Windows Net programs made me
    very leery of using it. My trying to install ess_nt32_enu and getting ESET SS 8 would
    probably be ok, if you didn't want to me for pay it, as I already 2 two year licenses.
    I am running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit with all the Windows updates.
    Any other info that you need to make my problem clearer I will try to supply.
    Would appreciate hearing your response as I hate to lose ESET.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Personally I would like to hear what think is a nightmare about the website as I tend to like it, easy to find stuff, easy to navigate, easy to download files. :doubt:

Also, I don't understand what your problem is?
    Is it that you didn't you want to install V8 or?

I see no danger in using the ESET uninstaller in safe mode as long as you follow the instructions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.