ESET Installer could not read installation package from server 'SERVER:2224' RES -110

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by MidSpeck, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidSpeck

MidSpeck Registered Member

I am not having much success with ESET's technical support on this one, nor can I find anything online... but I thought perhaps I'd pick all of your brains on what is actually happening here.

Trying a push installation in a domain (actually, a Windows Small Business Server domain) and I get this error: ESET Installer could not read installation package 'DomeTech' from server 'SERVER:2224'. (RES error code -110)

I'll post my latest snippet of conversation I sent to ESET so that it gives a least a good starting point (my comments in bold, ESET's regular). It's long, but it has pictures. Let me know your thoughts at the end:

EDIT: I can't seem to get more than 5 pictures to show up inline, unfortunately. They just show up as links. If there is a way to do this, a moderator may feel free to do so.

ESET Customer Care wrote:
    >
    > Update for Case #150370 - "Error on package installations"
    >
    > An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > Yes, this error means that the connection was reset. It could point to some problems with connection but there could also be another reason.
    >
    > - Can you ping the client <-> server both ways?
    Yes:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Debbie>ping server

Pinging server.DomeTech.local [192.168.1.3] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.3:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    And:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping dometech5

Pinging Dometech5.DomeTech.local [192.168.1.123] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.123: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.123: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.123:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms
    >
    > - Have the WinXP workstations disabled Simple File Sharing? (From any Windows folder window, Tools->Folder Options->View tab->bottom of list)
    simple-file-sharing-disabled.png
    >
    > - Have the workstations got firewalls running that are blocking the remote configuration? (only needs to be disabled during installation period)
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/firewall-disabled-temporarily.png
    >
    > - Can you remotely log on to the client(s)?
    This is REALLY vague, but I assume you mean a file sharing log on.
    file-sharing-logon.png
    >
    > - Can you make sure you have a correct administrator Username and Password set in the RA Console remote installation setup?
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/default-logon-rac.png
    >
    > - From one of the workstations, can you run the Command Prompt: net use \\servername\ipc$ (to establish IPC connection to the server - make sure the 'spaces' are entered exactly as I've shown them)
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Debbie.Sadovich>net use \\SERVER\IPC$
    The command completed successfully.
    > - "File & Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" must be enabled (Control Panel -> Network Connections > Network > Properties) --- (only needs to be disabled during installation period)
    I assume you mean "only needs to be ENABLED during installation period" to match the first half of the sentence.
    file-print-sharing-enabled.png
    >
    > - Administrator password (or administrative user used to install) cannot be blank.
    It is not blank.

> - The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service needs to be running on the target.
    > - The Remote Registry service needs to be running on the target.
    > - The RPC Locater service should be set to "manual" and need not be running.
    All three of these may be seen in the following image:
    rpc-services.png

>
    >
    > - NOD32 and RAS use the following ports:
    >
    > TCP
    > 80 - client (normally only the 'Mirror' client) to Eset update servers.
    > 2222 - communication between clients and ERAS
    > 2223 - communication between ERAC and ERAS
    > 2224 - communcation between the agent einstaller.exe and ERAS during remote install
    > 2846 - ERAS replication
    > 2221 - by default, this port offers update packages using the feature 'Mirror' integrated in ERAS (HTTP communication)
    > 445 - server to client, to request information and set up IPC connection (port 445 is the normal Microsoft "File & Print Sharing" port)
    >
    > ICMP
    > Type 8 (echo request) - The server pings the client before attempting to install.
    > Note: This is the port on the destination side of the connection. The source side will use a random, unused port above 1024.
    > Personal firewalls (like WinXP SP2) need to have ports open for any of these, depending on the features you will use, but most are on the server side. A typical end-user workstation needs only inbound exceptions for 'File & Print Sharing', and to allow ICMP echo requests during the push install.
    >
    > If everything checks out correctly, and you still cannot connect to certain workstations, maybe you could try re-installing ERAS. Uninstall first (Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > ESET Remote Administrator Server > Remove). There shouldn't be any need to re-start the server, but if it doesn't disrupt your network too much, it might be a useful step to take. Maybe download a fresh installer for RAS, and then re-install.

I did try a re-install of ERAS based on your suggestion here. I was unable to restart the server at the time, however. I also uninstalled the ERAC. I then installed the latest version which I downloaded off of your website (I think I was running the latest version anyway).

Below is the diagnostics screenshot right before I try and install ESET NOD32:

diagnostics.png
    Beginning installation (After it starts the installer service):
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/installing.png

It pops up and asks for my username/password after this while installing:
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/password-prompt.png

Finally, it fails with the following error message: ESET Installer could not read installation package 'DomeTech' from server 'SERVER:2224'. (RES error code -110)
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/error.png

I find it interesting that it says I am installing on "Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition". I am actually installing on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Is it detecting the version correctly?

(Note: it records the same error message in the registry of the client if I run einstaller.exe, so it does actually start the installer service on the client machine -- it just never gets the package from the server.)

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.