ESET Installer could not read installation package from server 'SERVER:2224' RES -110

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by MidSpeck, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidSpeck

MidSpeck Registered Member

I am not having much success with ESET's technical support on this one, nor can I find anything online... but I thought perhaps I'd pick all of your brains on what is actually happening here.

Trying a push installation in a domain (actually, a Windows Small Business Server domain) and I get this error: ESET Installer could not read installation package 'DomeTech' from server 'SERVER:2224'. (RES error code -110)

I'll post my latest snippet of conversation I sent to ESET so that it gives a least a good starting point (my comments in bold, ESET's regular). It's long, but it has pictures. Let me know your thoughts at the end:

EDIT: I can't seem to get more than 5 pictures to show up inline, unfortunately. They just show up as links. If there is a way to do this, a moderator may feel free to do so.

ESET Customer Care wrote:
    >
    > Update for Case #150370 - "Error on package installations"
    >
    > An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > Yes, this error means that the connection was reset. It could point to some problems with connection but there could also be another reason.
    >
    > - Can you ping the client <-> server both ways?
    Yes:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Debbie>ping server

Pinging server.DomeTech.local [192.168.1.3] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.3: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.3:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    And:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping dometech5

Pinging Dometech5.DomeTech.local [192.168.1.123] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.123: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.123: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.123:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms
    >
    > - Have the WinXP workstations disabled Simple File Sharing? (From any Windows folder window, Tools->Folder Options->View tab->bottom of list)
    simple-file-sharing-disabled.png
    >
    > - Have the workstations got firewalls running that are blocking the remote configuration? (only needs to be disabled during installation period)
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/firewall-disabled-temporarily.png
    >
    > - Can you remotely log on to the client(s)?
    This is REALLY vague, but I assume you mean a file sharing log on.
    file-sharing-logon.png
    >
    > - Can you make sure you have a correct administrator Username and Password set in the RA Console remote installation setup?
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/default-logon-rac.png
    >
    > - From one of the workstations, can you run the Command Prompt: net use \\servername\ipc$ (to establish IPC connection to the server - make sure the 'spaces' are entered exactly as I've shown them)
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Debbie.Sadovich>net use \\SERVER\IPC$
    The command completed successfully.
    > - "File & Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" must be enabled (Control Panel -> Network Connections > Network > Properties) --- (only needs to be disabled during installation period)
    I assume you mean "only needs to be ENABLED during installation period" to match the first half of the sentence.
    file-print-sharing-enabled.png
    >
    > - Administrator password (or administrative user used to install) cannot be blank.
    It is not blank.

> - The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service needs to be running on the target.
    > - The Remote Registry service needs to be running on the target.
    > - The RPC Locater service should be set to "manual" and need not be running.
    All three of these may be seen in the following image:
    rpc-services.png

>
    >
    > - NOD32 and RAS use the following ports:
    >
    > TCP
    > 80 - client (normally only the 'Mirror' client) to Eset update servers.
    > 2222 - communication between clients and ERAS
    > 2223 - communication between ERAC and ERAS
    > 2224 - communcation between the agent einstaller.exe and ERAS during remote install
    > 2846 - ERAS replication
    > 2221 - by default, this port offers update packages using the feature 'Mirror' integrated in ERAS (HTTP communication)
    > 445 - server to client, to request information and set up IPC connection (port 445 is the normal Microsoft "File & Print Sharing" port)
    >
    > ICMP
    > Type 8 (echo request) - The server pings the client before attempting to install.
    > Note: This is the port on the destination side of the connection. The source side will use a random, unused port above 1024.
    > Personal firewalls (like WinXP SP2) need to have ports open for any of these, depending on the features you will use, but most are on the server side. A typical end-user workstation needs only inbound exceptions for 'File & Print Sharing', and to allow ICMP echo requests during the push install.
    >
    > If everything checks out correctly, and you still cannot connect to certain workstations, maybe you could try re-installing ERAS. Uninstall first (Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > ESET Remote Administrator Server > Remove). There shouldn't be any need to re-start the server, but if it doesn't disrupt your network too much, it might be a useful step to take. Maybe download a fresh installer for RAS, and then re-install.

I did try a re-install of ERAS based on your suggestion here. I was unable to restart the server at the time, however. I also uninstalled the ERAC. I then installed the latest version which I downloaded off of your website (I think I was running the latest version anyway).

Below is the diagnostics screenshot right before I try and install ESET NOD32:

diagnostics.png
    Beginning installation (After it starts the installer service):
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/installing.png

It pops up and asks for my username/password after this while installing:
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/password-prompt.png

Finally, it fails with the following error message: ESET Installer could not read installation package 'DomeTech' from server 'SERVER:2224'. (RES error code -110)
    http://files.dometech.com/ESET/error.png

I find it interesting that it says I am installing on "Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition". I am actually installing on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Is it detecting the version correctly?

(Note: it records the same error message in the registry of the client if I run einstaller.exe, so it does actually start the installer service on the client machine -- it just never gets the package from the server.)

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.