Eset Failed to block "spyware protection virus"

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by poshsimontemplar, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poshsimontemplar

poshsimontemplar Registered Member

I was surprised to find one of our XP SP3 PCs running Eset Smart Security 4.04.. failed to block the "spyware protection virus" which seemed to block every action to stop it. It was one of these scamware programs suggesting the system was infected with all kinds of nonsense. it wasn't, of course, but, for the user it was very concerning.

The scamware seemed to disable Eset, it would not allow windows task manager to stay open, and blocked any antivirus or antispam .exe file from running.

Rather than spend all day fighting the thing, I decided that a system restore and backup data restore would solve the problem.

Although it took a good 6 hours to recover the system, i'm somewhat upset that eset didn't put up a better defence.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. poshsimontemplar

Thanks for the reply.

The latest update is always there, it's set to d/l automatically. All components operational.

It was not possible to do anything with that computer. Everything was locked out. It was a really nasty scamware program.

That being the case, it was not possible to submit a file analysis as the system had to be completely wiped and restored. Thankfully, we had backups, too.

4. Jager

Jager Registered Member

Did you try booting it in safe mode and running a on demand scan with another program?

5. poshsimontemplar

Thanks, yes, it had complete control of the boot. I was concerned, too, that it had affected the bios, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

Once again, it's a shame that eset nod32 didn't block this, it was difficult to eradicate, so it would have been nice if it was blocked before getting on the system and causing so much annoyance and one day of lost work from me to restore, and one day of lost work from my colleague.
    It was an expensive operation to clean it up.

6. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

7. poshsimontemplar

Hi Tony,
    I'm sorry, no, I can't, as I mentioned, it was not possible to do anything with the machine, and the formatting of the HD and full system restore obviously wiped it, which is what i needed to do to get it working again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.