Eset expects desktop thieves?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by xtrax, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtrax

xtrax Registered Member

I have v6 beta installed on my desktop, but no way of removing or disabling anti theft.

Does this mean Eset expect thieves to break into a house, steal their desktop, and connect online?

Either make a new product line or give us an option to disable or not install.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

3. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Beta versions are for testing, but people don't get it and install instantly on production machines and think it's the final product...

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree.

ESET are obviously trying to get people to take a look at the new anti-theft feature for marketing reasons in the hope that it will act as a spur to encourage people with laptops to buy (or upgrade to) Smart Security. As it is beta software provided free of charge, I don't have a problem with this. Nobody is forced to install the software if they don't agree with the terms and conditions.

I have a desktop computer but I registered the anti-theft feature anyway, partly to get rid of the exclamation mark in the system tray icon, and also to take a closer look at this new feature. It does appear to be quite innovative for users with laptops. So long as there is the option to disable it in the final paid version, there shouldn't be any complaints.

Unfortunately, I had to uninstall the beta because NOD32 conflicted with AppGuard and froze my system when I connected my USB hard drive (already reported in another thread).

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. encus

encus Registered Member

I think Eset should give user the option to disable this Anti Theft feature in its future official release.

6. xtrax

xtrax Registered Member

They better have a not install or disable feature in the final version. Imagine one day Eset Ant-Theft server gets hacked, all of the customers' online activity would be exposed. Other security companies have been hacked before, so there is a possibility.

This could mean that hackers will have screenshots of email messages, online banking information, etc. I would definitely disable it during my online banking sessions or checking emails.

This feature is sort of useless, you have to rely on the thief to connect online, when one can steal the victim's personal data offline if there is no login or format the drive and install the correct OS with the serial key under the laptop.

Once thieves learn about the flaw to this Anti-Theft product, which they will if this product is marketed successfully. The thief would be cautious enough to not connect online, or try to look for an Eset or Norton tray icon.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. encus

encus Registered Member

I agree with you. I also have this paranoid kind of thoughts that this Anti Theft feature can one day be used by some people as a spy tool (i.e. taking pictures of user without he/she even knows it). This really freaks me out.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET Smart Security 6 is a beta test version. It has been released by ESET to get feedback on new features.

ESET product licenses are not tied to a specific version of a program, so if someone had a valid license for ESET Smart Security 3, 4, or 5 they could upgrade for free to version 6 when it came out.

Likewise, if someone purchased ESET Smart Security 6 and wanted to run an earlier version for some reason, they could use their license credentials to download and install ESET Smart Security 3, 4, or 5.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

while i am testing the feature can you please confirm there will be a way to disable it WITHOUT the notification of not being fully protected or the exclamation point in the tray icon?? while i think some will use it and i am testing it i personally honestly do not really want or have a need for it.

10. encus

encus Registered Member

I don't think that's possible, at least until official release.

11. GODFATHA

GODFATHA Registered Member

You should invest in a pit bull or either an alarm system........nah j/k man. You should follow agoretsky rules.

12. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

I don't think any one should be installing this BETA if u are using your pc everyday. It is soooo Buggy!!!
    while playing games its process uses 100% cpu!!! And there is no other way but to restart your pc!!

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i am really not having issues with it myself.. not sure why but its been totally smooth..

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In the final release, it will be possible to disable Anti-Theft without notifications.

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Does anyone know if any changes have been made to the removal engine? It seems to me that it needs the most improvement out of all Eset's features.

16. Marcos

Detection is continually improved with everyday updates to address newly emerging threats. Malware removal is not bad at all, if you're having issues cleaning a particular infection, let us know what threat was detected and where. For bootkits like Olmarik, you will need to use the stand-alone cleaner downloadable from ESET's website. Just for clarification, v3/4/5/6 use the same engine and modules so they are equal in terms of detection / removal.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi Marcos.

I don't want to start a new thread so I will ask here.

I have seen you mention that both V3/4/5 plus 6 now uses the same engine.

I don't complain on the current engine, but every time you mention it I can't stop wondering if there is a new engine currently under development. :)

So is there a new engine in the works?

Cheers.

18. Marcos

There's really no need for a new engine as the current one can be improved continually unlike the v1/v2 engine.

19. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Is the new <heuristic detection in memory> intended to perfect the ThreatSense engine or will add behavior tracking at runtime?

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  20. Marcos

It pertains to memory scans and is used by all versions, from v3 onwards.

21. encus

encus Registered Member

What I and probably most of the future users really expect :thumb: .
    Thanks Marcos.

22. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Thanks for your clarification :)

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see, I didn't know that. That's good to know :thumb:

Thanks for the answer :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.