ESET doesn't like Second Life

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jmc, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmc

jmc Registered Member

I installed ESET Smart Security 4 the other day. So far, very nice, quite happy, until I got on to Second Life this evening. I did set rules for Secondlife and slvoice (allow, both directions), but the system keeps freezing for around 5 seconds every few seconds to every minute. Stops the whole system, and when it isn't doing that it's crippling things like loading web pages. I found some options which I've tried, but they've not worked.

1. Under Advanced Setup in Real-Time File System Protection, I unchecked File Open, File Creation and Diskette Access.

2. Under Exclusions, I added the Second Life folder.

3. Under Personal Firewall, added secondlife.exe and slvoice.exe to the Excluded list under Application modification detection

If you're not familiar with Second Life, it's similar to an online game like WoW.

ESET is the only program I've installed this week, and I only get the long pauses when running Second Life (and it's the only online MMORG type thing I play).

Previously I was using ZoneAlarm + AVG. Yes, they've both been uninstalled (oh, and I also have Malwarebytes anti-malware and AdAware and Spybot, Spybot was uninstalled and the rest are set to not run on start).

I'd appreciate any help or advice you can provide.

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

3. jmc

jmc Registered Member

4. jmc

jmc Registered Member

Ok. Back on this again. I've tried all the solutions listed in both links (configure for streaming media and configure for gaming performance), and some related links. They have helped a bit, but I'm still having a problem when I'm in a busy area of Second Life - ENTIRE system freezes for 5-10 seconds at sometimes less than 5 second intervals. If I can manage to move from that area, everything is fine.

This did not happen with my previous security setup (ZoneAlarm, AVG, WebSweeper)

Are there any other tweaks I can make to improve performance when there's a lot of activity in my "game"?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.